Author Topic: Alone. (A Fanfic - Completed)  (Read 77566 times)

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
Alone. (A Fanfic - Completed)
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:41:22 AM »
Author's note: I am going back through this book and touching up old chapters, changing only minor things (like some dialogue that felt a bit out-of-character or prose that felt off.) However, the main thing I'm doing is adding the name tags to the beginning of each chapter, like I am doing in the sequel, so as to be less confusing as to who's perspective it's from. So, if the quality drastically changes after a chapter or the name tags are missing, please be patient as I am getting around to this whenever I can.

Thanks for the patience, and enjoy the story.

TOC:
* Denotes a refurbished chapter.

*1: Alone - Page 1
*2: Alone Pt. 2 - Page 1
*3: Slightly Less Alone - Page 1
*4: Hostilities and Separation - Page 2
*5: Slavery - Page 3
*6: Burn in Hell - Page 3
*7: The New Kid - Page 4
*8: Augmentations - Page 5
*9: Sci-Fi and a Fallen Angel - Page 6
B1: Claire -  Page 6
10: Breakdown - Page 7
11: On Our Own - Page 8
12: Rescue - Page 8-9
13: Bloody Reunion - Page 10
14: Food-Chain Reversal - Page 11
B2: Reuniting - Page 12
15: Molotovs Ahoy! - Page 12
16: Trimming the Weeds - Page 12
17: A Shopping Trip and Early Apocalyptic Woes - Page 13
18: Daemons, Robbers, and a Shocking Development - Page 13
19: Field Trip! - Page 14
B3: Jenny - Page 14
20: Back to These Guys - Page 15
21: Folsom Prison Blues - Page 16
22: Folsom Prison Blues pt. 2 - Page 17
23: All's Well that Ends Well, and This is the End - Page 17

~~ denotes beginning/ending of chapter.
-- denotes perspective switch/timeskip.
== denotes reading a note/video/log of some sort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alone.

I found the term quite apt for my situation. I mulled the word around with my tongue, trying to get a feel for it.

"Alone."

Not a word you’d like to describe your situation. I may have everything I need where I am, including clothes, shelter, and enough food and water to last for months. One could say this bomb shelter was a godsend. However, none of that changed the fact that I was irrevocably, unequivocally, alone.

At first, I found it quite nice. Having no one around meant no distractions. I could read the plentiful amount of books here, and occasionally I could get lost in a good story. I had as much time as I needed to start a few hobbies, too. Construction and knitting, among others. I knitted myself a sweater, and even built a birdhouse. Though, one questions the point of these small triumphs when you have no one to share them with.

After a while, though, I began to start feeling... odd. I started having nightmares, and I swear that I put my birdhouse on the other side of the shelter. Still, it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I've been alone before, I could deal with it now.

Time flowed on by like a river, unimpeded by any vain attempts I may have made to slow it down. Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months. It was only a matter of time until I eventually did run out of food. I may have been stocked to begin with, but this shelter didn't have a river running through it nor a farm inside it. So, after spending enough time down in these dark halls, lit usually only by a small fireplace I'd keep running to read and keep warm by, I finally had to go out.

I didn't know what day it was. Hell, I didn't know what month it was, but my estimations put it around late fall, so I donned clothing to match the season. A light jacket, plus my own sweater, along with a pair of jeans. I slung a backpack over my shoulder, along with a few essentials, and set off into the world.

Stepping out, I was surprised at first. I assumed I would be blinded immediately, however I found I could see just fine. It took me a bit to realize that it was night time; and quite late, at that, since the moon was high in the sky. It wasn't really that dark, either. Spending months underground tends to do that to your vision.

So, onward I trekked, following a road almost blindly, not knowing where I was going. My plan, naturally, was to find some food and water, then hike back to my basement to live out the rest of my days. I'd find a way to keep myself occupied, I always did.

After a few painstakingly long hours of walking, I saw what appeared to be buildings off in the distance. They weren't houses of any sort that I remember; these were much more ramshackle. Most were made of logs and hatch, with sheet metal interspersed in between. They were all surrounded by a barbed wire fence, which was mostly for naught, seeing as I was able to squeeze under a hole quite easily. The whole thing felt quite... surreal.

"Hmm... This seems a good place to start as any."

As I mumbled to myself, I entered the first hut I came across. Inside the floor was dirt, and the bed was a cot. There was a wooden stove in the far corner, along with a few cooking utensils. It was just as abandoned as the rest of the place, however, and devoid of anything useful.

On and on I searched the ramshackle settlement. It was eerily quiet, but then again, what wasn't at this point? I hardly found anything, unfortunately, after the first few hours of searching.

Beginning to feel dejected, I started to leave the settlement the way I came. That's when I saw something flick out of the corner of my eye. As I turned to it, naturally, it wasn't there anymore. I thought nothing of it, seeing as I've been getting jumpy over small things all night. Then I heard a growl.

It was a deep, sinister, growl, coming from behind me. I froze ramrod stiff. The growling came closer.

I spun around to meet my predator, but before I was able to get a good look at it, I was immediately tackled to the ground. It started clawing at my face. I felt a sickening and extremely painful sensation in my left eye. I tried to fight back, but the enemy was too strong. Until, just like that, it stopped attacking me, and fell onto its side. With my remaining good eye, I could see that it was a cougar, now sporting an arrow in its side. I also saw my other eye lying in a pool of blood next to me. I screamed, until I passed out a few seconds later due to blood loss.

I then woke up. I felt weak. Very weak. I noticed I was lying in a cot, my eye bandaged. It was also daytime outside.

What caught my attention, however, was the woman standing in the doorway. She appeared to have been watching me the entire time waiting for my awakening. Truthfully, I didn't feel like I'd stay awake much longer anyway. I had lost too much blood.

She approached me, and laid her hand on my chest. There was a sorrowful look on her face as I sat there, in immense pain, yet unable to react due to just being so... tired. Then the woman spoke. "I'm so sorry... but at least now you're not alone." She began sobbing with the words. I wore a smile on my face as she cried, until the darkness overtook me for the last time.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:23:21 PM by jumjummju »
Previously dead fanfic writer, crawling out of the grave to deliver top-tier awful books.

Offline Ferodaktyl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (A short-story fanfic)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »
This is indeed a better piece of writing, more worthy of the fanfic genre. Keep them coming please :)

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (A short-story fanfic - New chapter!)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND (AKA one person) I SHALL CONTINUE.

And perhaps I'll turn this into a full story as long as no one calls it a flaming pile of poo. If you DO call it a flaming pile of poo, I'll be very sad indeed. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alone: Part 2

Unknown Woman

Ugh... Well, fuck.

I stared down at the man on the bed, his white bandage over his face contrasting with his overgrown, messy dark brown hair and stubble. The blood on it further contrasted with the rest, producing a symphony of colors that'd be a nice art piece if it wasn't the last living person I've seen in months.

As much as I wanted to empathize with the poor man, seeing as he had his eye violently ripped out, then died, I couldn't help but lament the fact that he was a waste of resources at this point. Those were bandages and antibiotics I wasn't about to get back any time soon. Well, it appears I'm back to square one.

I had already looted the man's backpack earlier, and transferred the supplies to my own, namely the few cans of food and bottles of water he had, a pocket knife, and a box of matches he had in it. At least now I had more than just an empty backpack, a crossbow, and a few arrows I took from a store a while back.

I stepped outside into the sunlight, letting the man stay dead in the cot he was in; I didn't feel a need to clean up. T'wasn't my hut, or even my town. This place was utterly deserted, minus that man. I didn't even know his story, but I was still sad he couldn't stick around.

The town looked quite different in the sunlight than it had at night. It was obvious now that these houses, which were loose logs and bits of scrap metal to nail them together, were poorly made shelters. This must've been some kind of survivor settlement, but whatever happened to drive them out was (hopefully) long gone.

Seeing as I had only just arrived in the town as I found the man being attacked by a rather vicious cougar, I never had a chance to loot the place. He probably did, but it was so dark I'd be surprised if he found anything.

After perusing some of the shelters, which came up about as empty as the man's eye socket, I came across a rather different building in the center of the settlement. It was a bit bigger, but it was also much more wellmade. Rather than hastily slapped-together metal and tree trunk, this was made of cut wood, making it stand out pretty obviously. There weren't any windows I could reach - there were some up about 10 feet but there weren't any footholds I could see to climb up to them - and the front door had a rather hefty padlock on it. Assuming the man had looted around town, there's no way he'd've had a chance to look in here, which meant there could be valuable supplies inside.

Of course, the main question now was to get at them. The padlock was too big to break with a rock and I didn't have any sort of crowbar to break into it with. Angrily, I kicked the door. It laughed at my puny efforts. Fuck doors.

Defeated, I sat over by another hut's wall, to think of a way to pry it open.

-----------------------------------------------

Kevin Tanner

The psycho with the axe was almost on me, but I couldn't do anything to escape. My leg was stuck in a bear trap, but I hardly noticed the pain through the adrenaline.

"I'm coming to get you!" someone screeched from around the corner, in a sickening voice. And then I saw him; he wore a tattered doctor's uniform as he dragged the fire axe behind him. I nearly died from a heart attack right then and there, before he even reached me!

"I'm here!" He screeched, as he brought the axe down.

I sat up immediately, the sunlight coming in from the doorway annoyingly bright in my eye. "Damn nightmares..." I complained to myself. I looked around, and saw that I was in a hut, rather than the outside ground. How'd I get here? I reached up to scratch my head when my finger felt a bandage on my face. There was a bandage over my left eye. Oh, right, I was missing that eye. Didn't know why, though. I vaguely remembered a cougar of sorts, or perhaps a panther, but after that I was drawing a blank. And there may have been a woman, but that was probably a fever dream or something.

I tried to stand, and at first failed, falling over from a head rush. I lost quite a bit of blood, so weakness was to be expected. I didn't know how much, exactly, but it was enough to make me fade in and out of consciousness for a few hours. Not enough to kill me, though.

Of course, I was still alone. I assumed the bandages I must've put on myself after whatever attacked me, in a haze of injury, since I couldn't remember anything else. Probably saved my own life. I tried standing again, this time with more success, and found my backpack, zipping it up and putting it on. In my current state it felt like I was carrying a bag of bricks, but the only things in it were some cans of food and basic supplies if I remember correctly. I didn't bother to check though.

I stepped outside. I was still in the shoddy settlement from last night, and still looking for supplies, if what little I remember from last night was true. My memory was very hazy, still. The place, still abandoned. The nearby shelters, still empty of supplies. I still went around looting the houses, unable to remember which ones I looted before and which ones I didn't.

Suddenly, I heard someone moan from behind me. I turned around to see someone standing there, slowly walking towards me. He seemed in more pain than I was, moaning and shuffling towards him, arms outstretched like he was try to ask me for help. I nearly greeted it, before I noticed it was missing it's lower jaw and was half decomposed. I would've vomited if I had anything left in me.

"The fuck are you!?" I shouted at it, as I turned around to run. Zombies!? That's what I've been hiding from? The monitor kept telling me it was fucking radiation! The zombie kept pace with me, half because it was able to lurch at a surprising pace, and half because I was stumbling all over due to my head reeling. I lurched as the undead guy lurching in hot pursuit, up to a building made of plywood instead of logs and aluminum. I tried to open the door, only to see it was locked. Fuck doors. I turned around to see the zombie in my face. I screamed.

Then the zombie fell over, with an arrow sticking out it's skull. I had deja vu, oddly.

"You really aught to keep this from becoming a habit, sir."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:55:55 PM by jumjummju »
Previously dead fanfic writer, crawling out of the grave to deliver top-tier awful books.

Offline TheRealTenman

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (A short-story fanfic - New chapter!)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 01:49:21 AM »

I support this too!

Nice writing. I think at least 72 people think it is good.

Are you aiming to write this like the Deadly trilogy? 2 People, one story, different perspectives. If so good job so far!

Any ways flaming piles of poo are useful for exploding gas stations. Don't dis Flaming Poop™!

Proud creator of Basement Bear™

Offline Ferodaktyl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (A short-story fanfic - New Chapter!)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 05:26:27 AM »
It's always a pleasure to read some good ( better than average anyway :D ) fanfic.
I kinda disagree with reviving your first char, i would have expected a one-dies-another-goes-on approach, but this is entirely your choice (i also like more  writers who have no qualms about murdering their characters).  This approach would have led to a short stories structure, linked by the main theme. Well, maybe the chick dies next :DD, and stays dead for another surviver to find her badly mauled corpse.
Don't mind me, can't write for shit, that's why i advise :P

As i was saying before, keep them coming please.

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 05:35:20 AM »
It's always a pleasure to read some good ( better than average anyway :D ) fanfic.
I kinda disagree with reviving your first char, i would have expected a one-dies-another-goes-on approach, but this is entirely your choice (i also like more  writers who have no qualms about murdering their characters).  This approach would have led to a short stories structure, linked by the main theme. Well, maybe the chick dies next :DD, and stays dead for another surviver to find her badly mauled corpse.
Don't mind me, can't write for shit, that's why i advise :P

As i was saying before, keep them coming please.

I revived him for two reasons. One: my friend pointed out how it didn't make much sense for someone almost dead to wake up then die a minute later anyway, so I had him live because having him fade in 'n' out of consciousness makes a bit more sense, and two: because I had a hard time coming up with any better way to start a new story, so I went "Screw 'dis originality thang" and decided to start a series off of these two. :P

Are you aiming to write this like the Deadly trilogy? 2 People, one story, different perspectives. If so good job so far!

Never read those books, but yeah. I do plan on flip-flopping between the two character's respective perspective (try saying that last bit 5 times fast), in an attempt to characterize them better and get into each character's head. I'm not gonna do the same scene twice from each character's perspective, however, as that would be a bit confusing. Truthfully, I'm still wondering where I'm going with this, seeing as this is the most serious thing I've written thus far. :P

It'll probably take us on grand adventures, however. TALLY HO!

Offline skillithead

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 01:29:23 AM »
The story is pretty damn good so far and i encourage you to continue it. I presonally liked the fact that you revived the first character and the swap between characters is a pretty cool approach. Keep it up, and I will be waiting for the next update to the story

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:53:30 AM »
Glad to see I have supporters! I love y'all! (Side note: if I sometimes refer to the character in third rather than first person, that's because I'm more used to the third. I'm just saying that because I noticed I did that once in the last chapter; sorry for any future typos!)

Also, this is a longer one. Finally our heroes meet!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3:Slightly less alone.

Kevin Tanner

"You really aught to keep this from becoming a habit, sir."

The voice nearly scared me as much as the undead freak.

"Gah! Fuck, where'd you come from!?" I shouted in surprise at the woman.

"I came from over here." She replied sardonically deadpan.

"I see that," I replied. The woman was holding a crossbow, and she looked to be younger than I, being in her mid twenties. Her hair was quite short - shorter than mine at the moment - and black. "What do you mean by a habit?"

"You don't remember? When the cougar attacked you, I had to shoot it off you. Then I dragged you into the hut and bandaged you up. Thought you died, but apparently I was wrong." That would explain why I woke up as I did. It made more sense than me bandaging myself up in some kind of fever-induced haze, anyway.

"I bet you forgot to check my pulse," I said.

"Yep," she replied, still deadpan. I chuckled at her.

"Thanks for saving me, then."

"Well, you seem fine for someone that was nearly mauled to death twice," she said to me, noticing my nonchalant behavior.

I replied "Honestly, after having my eye torn out by a cougar I don't think some undead fucker's gonna do anything except give me more of a reason to stay in my bunker."

"Bunker?"

"Yeah, why do you think I'm doing a terrible job of surviving out here lately? I was in a bomb shelter for the past few months, and I assumed the world was a massive pile of craters and radiation, not something out of Night of the Living Dead." To be honest, I still found the situation incredulous. My talk of a bomb shelter that was apparently safe enough to last me six months did pique her interest, it seemed.

"Why'd you have to leave?" She asked, tilting her head quizzically.

"I ran out of food and came to get supplies. Anyway, we going to do something or are you just gonna interrogate me until the next horde comes down upon us?" This seemed to bring her attention back to the moment.

"Oh, right. I was trying to get inside the door you're leaning on. Think you could break it down?" She asked.

"Lady, I'm weak from blood loss and high as a kite at the moment. I don't think I could bust down the door if it wasn't even attached. What the hell'd you give me anyway?"

"Painkillers. All I had was Percocet, so I hoped it would be enough."

"That would explain why I can hardly even feel my eye at this point. Anyway, I could pick the lock if I had a lockpicking kit, or even a hairpin. This padlock doesn't look too hard," I replied.

"You can pick locks?" she asked, increduously.

"I was in a bomb shelter for half a year with nothing but books from everything to locksmithing to sewing. I can knit a pretty mean sweater."

"I suppose that's why your sweater looks like your granny made it," she retorted. I chuckled.

"Says the one that looks like she came from a biker gang. Any more leather on you and you'll be mistake for a tanning rack." Now she was the one chuckling. "Anyway, let's look around for some kind of hairpin. One of the lady's that used to live here had to have one."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claire Stanfield

After splitting up and spending a few minutes searching nearby houses, I found a box of hairpins on a table. "Found some!" I shouted, hoping to get his attention. He came out of a nearby house just as I left mine, and I tossed him the box. He fumbled and dropped the box. "Sorry! Head's still swimming from the painkillers!" he shouted back to me, before picking it up and jogging over to the door as I followed.

He set to work on opening the door. "So, what's your nam- Aw, dammit!" he shouted, as he broke one almost immediately. I giggled as I replied "Claire." He pulled out another one and put it in the lock. "Name's Kevin. Nice to meet ya- oh, for fucks sake." He broke another pin as I giggled. "You sure you can do this?" I asked him.

"Listen, you try to pick a lock when your high and half dead," he shot back. I giggled again.

"Got it!" he exclaimed, as the lock fell from the door handle. "Ladies first," he said, stepping aside from the door.

"At least it's nice to know you have good mann- Oh fuck! What's that smell!?" I said as I opened the door. A horrid, decaying smell hit me square in the face almost as soon as I did. I had to clamp my nose shut with my fingers and it still smelled terrible through them. I looked over to him and he was gagging, almost ready to vomit.

Whatever was in there, it wasn't supplies.

I pulled out a flashlight from my pack so I could see in the dark house and shone it around. Kevin spoke up from outside; "The hell they keep in there, dead humans? Zombie cage fights?" The light showed a bunch of what appeared to be pigs, deer, and other wildlife hung from meat hooks suspended from the ceiling by chains. They were rotten through, maggots were eating through them and flies were buzzing around like a million tiny drones. "No, it seems like some kind of butchery. Seems they left their recent catches when they ran," I replied.

"You go in there, I'll just stay out here and heave for a bit," came the reply. I rolled my eyes, clamped my nose shut, and moved past the rotten meat. In the back, there was a trap door leading downwards. "Hey!" I shouted, my voice sounding funny since I was still holding my nose shut. "I found a way down!"

"Sorry! I can't hear you over the stench of death from in there!"

"Just get in here, asshole!" I shouted back. He reluctantly came in behind me, and I lifted open the door. It was heavier than it looked, but I could lift it easily until it was resting at close to a 90 degree angle on the wall. On the other side was a ladder leading downwards into more darkness. Surprising.

As far as I could tell, the smell coming from down there wasn't any better than in here, but then again I wasn't about to take a sniff to find out. I climbed down first, clenching the flashlight between my teeth, and landed on the ground silently. I gave a cursory glance with the flashlight as he climbed down, and what I saw made my skin crawl.

My flashlight beam stopped on a lumbering mass of flesh in the far corner. It looked to be a very obese man facing away from us, but the flesh falling off of him gave it away that he definitely wasn't alive at this point. It hadn't yet reacted to me; it must be blind from being down here for a while. It looked like it was chopping up rotten cuts of meat with a cleaver.

"Oh god..." I muttered under my breath. Kevin silently looked at it in terror, before turning back to the ladder and attempting to climb up it.

Halfway up, there was a loud slam from above, and then a crash! The trapdoor had fallen shut! The butcher turned it's head towards us, it's face missing it's lower jaw and with two black holes where it's eyes should be. It started shuffling towards us as Kevin banged on the trapdoor above. "It's stuck! Somethin' must've fallen on it!" I was stuck down in a cellar with a giant butcher. Things weren't looking too well. Fucking doors.

It was closing in on me slowly, but not slowly enough as Kevin hopped down from the ladder. He silently walked around it, maneuvering behind a few more animals suspended from hooks to stay out of its view. I backed up against the wall and pulled out my crossbow. Before I could fire, however, it leaped forwards and swung where I was with the cleaver; it missed me, but it knocked the crossbow out of me hands. I ducked under a return swipe and dodged to the side, moving backwards through some more half-decomposed wildlife.

I stopped backing up as my hip bumped into a countertop. I quickly felt back trying to reach anything to use as a weapon. My hands grasped the first thing I could find and I swung at it. The metal rod I hit it with fazed it and it stumbled back a bit, before it's head split open. It fell over to reveal Kevin behind it, having smashed a spare cleaver through it's skull. "Oh, fuck me!" he yelled. I agreed. "Let's just get the hell out of here and find somewhere else to steal from," I said, before having a go at the trapdoor Kevin couldn't open.

I had to bash at it a few times, but the thing eventually inched up enough for me to shove it open fully, dislodging the thing that was holding it down. Apparently a metal trolley of sorts that was used to push bigger meats around had fallen over on top of it, but was now off it enough for us to leave.

As we were leaving the butchery, I said "Remind me not to go in any more cellars."

"I agree."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:57:05 PM by jumjummju »

Offline Ferodaktyl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (No longer a short story! New chapter)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »
yep, has a lot of potential. Can't wait for the next piece :)

Offline Daniel696

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
Can't wait, keep it coming.

Offline kastor246

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 08:47:08 PM »
Oh man I can't wait!

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 02:57:36 AM »
Glad to hear that! I'll try to have one up tomorrow, if I can.

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (Fanfic)
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 01:11:43 AM »
Note to self: change the title someday. I think there are a few too many people to say they're alone anymore. I suppose that's what I get for turning a random short story into a full one. :S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4: Hostilities and Separation

Kevin Tanner

I tried to shake the memories of what happened out of my head. That entire settlement is cursed, if you asked me, though the fact it was abandoned should've been a tip-off to that. First I get mauled by a fuckin' cougar, then chased by a dead guy, then I have to chop an even bigger dead guy's head in half with a rusty meat cleaver (which I left back there, by the way. I wasn't about to keep the damn thing). It's not like I was feeling guilty about having killed a "person," like what some people would; I was fully aware these things weren't alive anymore. I felt about as guilty as I would ripping apart a teddy bear. It's just... that was a lot to deal with, fresh from the shelter and all.

I looked over to Claire as we walked out of the gates of the settlement; she appeared nonchalant about the whole ordeal. Fitting, I suppose. With her short hair, leather jacket and pants, and combat boots she seemed like a tough chick. That, and she was living this cataclysm while I was hiding away underground for the past 6 months.

She looked at me for a second, before speaking. "So, could you explain the whole bomb shelter to me? Was it safe?"

Safe? That's a bit vague. "Uh, yeah. While I was there I wasn't attacked by anything except relentless boredom at times. It was an old underground bomb shelter back from way back when, during the Cold War era, but my family kept it stocked with food just in case, ever since I was a kid. My parents were rich, and a bit... over-cautionary. They died about a year ago, but I remembered where it was hidden and once there were news of bombs hitting I fled into it. If the warnings were false alarms, my friend said he'd come and get me so I wouldn't just be hiding down there for no reason, but you can see how that turned out."

"Do you think you could take me to it?"

Wait, what? What would the point of that be? "No. As I said, there're no supplies there right now. It's about as useful as a tomb at the moment."

"Right, whatever. Later, then."

About half an hour passed. Trees on the side of the road were just blurring by, a sea of green in a way. Then the sun started to set, and my stomach was beginning to ache with hunger. So, I pulled my backpack off to get some food out of it to munch on as we walked.

Wait... What the? The bag was empty! "Shit..." I mumbled under my breath.

"Hm?" Claire asked, in response to my surprise.

"My pack was ransacked! I had a few essentials in there! Not much, but about a day's worth of beef jerky and water!" I said, as I desperately continued searching through all the side pockets just in case.

"Oh! Right, I have that. Sorry, I took it when I thought you died." Well, that settles that mystery.

"You dirty thief," I replied, sarcastically. She stuck her tongue out at me, before throwing a bag of beef jerky at me, and pulling another one out for herself.

I munched happily on the jerky, it's salty flavor never growing old to me, despite eating it for most of my stay in the shelter.

Then, almost just as I finished eating the jerky, I noticed what appeared to be a city on the horizon. A small one, more of a suburb than anything, but a place to explore, nonetheless.

"Hey! I bet we can find food and perhaps a place to stay there!" I shouted enthusiastically. She looked at me like I just suggested kicking a nest of angry wasps was a safe idea.

"Are you retarded? You won't get ten steps into that city without being swarmed by either dead fuckers or living ones, both of which want to kill - and arguably eat - you," she replied with no shortage of hostility in her tone.

"Sheesh! Don't need to get angry! Besides, I don't see any better option. Do you plan on just walking around it and taking a nap under the stars, hungry, instead?"

"Yes!" She seemed rather adamant about this.

"Well, I'm going into the city, with or without you. I'm not about to starve to death in the woods."

"Without me, then. Sorry, but I'd rather stay alive, thank you very much."

Well, there goes that. "Fine, this is probably a terrible idea but I'm not about to just ignore a possible treasure trove of stuff. We'll have to meet up later then. My map, which you probably stole from my pack, has the shelter marked on it. You can go straight there, which should be back over where we came from, or you could try and find somewhere else to loot or something. I'm going in."

"You're right, this is a terrible idea. Fine then, have it your way," she sighed, as she took out the map and looked at it. "I'll just go straight to the bomb shelter in that case. If you don't return by tomorrow evening I'll assume you've died and move on."

Her bluntness was rather jarring, but I was a bit pissed at the time and didn't really care. We parted ways then, silently, and continued towards our destinations.

Claire Stanfield

He's a fucking idiot. Ignore the person that's been out here for 6 months. Seems like a great idea there, you fucking moron.

Well, whatever the idiot wanted to do was his business, I had a shelter to find.

The map led me back towards the settlement, though I skirted around it instead of going through it lest I find myself in the same position as Kevin did, but without someone willing to waste a crossbow bolt saving my ass.

After about an hour of walking, the sun below the horizon at this point and it being quite dark, I was able to find an abandoned-looking stone tunnel of sorts. I took this to be the shelter Kevin was talking about, and entered, flicking my flashlight on so I could see. After walking a few feet, I came to a turn which led to a steel door with a crank. I tried turning the crank; it wouldn't budge.

"Damn, the thing's stuck!" I mumbled to myself, before realizing I was supposed to turn it the other way. Boy, did I feel smart.

I entered and went down some stairs, closing the door behind me. After fumbling around with the flashlight for a bit I noticed a fireplace with a pile of firewood next to it. I quickly lit a fire, both to warm up the cold and damp underground, and to light the area so I could see.

The bomb shelter was one decently sized room. It had a bunk bed in one corner, and it had a door near it leading to what I assumed was the food storage. There was also one wall comprised entirely of books; quite a few, too, along with an armchair to read them on. Just as Kevin said, the food storage had a ton of empty crates, good for naught but more firewood.

Well, I had time to kill. I picked up an interesting looking book and started to read it. I read for a good hour or so before I started to get tired, so I went to bed in the bottom bunk.

Kevin Tanner

"Argh... my freakin' eye..."

My eye started hurting again. It was a minor throbbing at first, but quickly grew in pain. Seems the Percocet was wearing off; I'd have to attack a pharmacy or something first.

As I entered the town, I noticed that most of the houses here were looted, too, and that the place also seemed abandoned; or at least, this corner of the town was. "Dammit," I said, looking around at all the houses that were obviously broken into prior to my arrival. Just to double check, I entered a house through a broken window and saw nothing of value within.

I then continued down the road until I could see something that wasn't looted. Oddly, I tried another house at random, and found a full bottle of whiskey hidden inside a cupboard. It could've easily been missed, since it was sitting behind a bunch of useless cleaning utensils and bleach.

I figured inebriation was a good enough painkiller as any, and my eye was starting to kill me at this point. I took a long swig out of the glass bottle. I started to feel a bit lightheaded after a bit, as well as becoming, well, drunk. I could still feel my eye at this point, and my now tipsy self figured I might as well keep drinking until I couldn't.

Needless to say, I got a bit carried away. I drank about half the bottle before I realized what I was doing, and by that time I was already utterly wasted. Couldn't feel the eye no more, at least.

As I continued walking, or at this point, stumbling down the street, I could swear I saw movement down the street. I drunkenly swaggered down to where I thought I saw something, before someone shot out from around the corner of a house, and charged me with a pipe. I had the reflexes of a sloth at that point, and he brought the pipe down on the top of my head.

I was too drunk to really feel it, but I did notice the world was spinning. More than usual, anyway. He almost brought it down again on my head when another woman, or two women, or perhaps three - I honestly couldn't tell, the world was spinning too much - came out and shouted at him to stop.

"He's not a zombie, Greg! He's a live one!" the person/pair of twins/triplets said to the man... wait, were there two men with pipes now? Oh dear goodness I was really out of it.

"Well, that's even better then, ain't it. Looks to me like he'll fetch a good price when he wakes up," said the man/men with the pipe. As far as I could tell, he had a Mohawk and a scar over his one eye, but I was having a hard time seeing much of anything clearly right now.

The other woman, which I could now see was a teenage girl with brown hair that was in a braid down to her back in what was a defiance of the unkempt nature of everyone else's hair, then said "Well, I'll let you carry him back then. Can't have me doing all the work."

The pipe wielding man then scowled at her, before hefting me over his shoulders. The last thing I remembered before blacking out was I vomited on his back.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:10:49 PM by jumjummju »

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
  • Don't trip on the (me) on the way in, har har
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (A Fanfic)
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »
I think "alone" perfectly sums up the story. Maybe they're not *COMPLETELY* alone anymore, but they're still isolated from society as a whole, alone wanderers through what was once a living world.

It's a lot of alone people colliding. I like.

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
Re: Alone. (A Fanfic)
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 03:18:18 AM »
I think "alone" perfectly sums up the story. Maybe they're not *COMPLETELY* alone anymore, but they're still isolated from society as a whole, alone wanderers through what was once a living world.

It's a lot of alone people colliding. I like.

That's a good point, actually. I think I'll keep the name, then.