Author Topic: Cataclysm: Texts, Notes, Ads, & Messages.  (Read 37135 times)

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Texts, Notes, Ads, & Messages.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 11:54:14 PM »
Stuff for acidia's "waste sarcophagi". I took the liberty of naming them Security-Restricted Containment Facilities, or SRCFs, because everybody loves goofy acronyms. 

Standard e-mails/memos found on every terminal. 
(click to show/hide)

Random memos on admin's terminal:
(click to show/hide)

Government e-mails:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:15:36 AM by Grackle »

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
  • Don't trip on the (me) on the way in, har har
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 01:46:56 AM »
This is... wow.

I am going to find you, and I am going to hug you.

These are the best ever. Please continue, maybe with some more cybernetics ads? They were... god DAMN. Exactly like ads are in real life, somehow you captured the exact crudeness.

Offline Slax

• Survivor
  • Crash Test Dummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 01:51:28 AM »
Newspaper headlines, end of the world flyers, survivor scribbles, diaries! So much junk to find and read.
One can dream.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
Ok, dropping everything else to get this IN THE GAME.

Also about the per-world procedurally-generated names, you're a freaking genius, that's an amazing idea.
It really makes an individual game world stand out from the rest.

I just had a brainstorm, all I need to do is add a an item flag "dynamic description" and add a lookup for a descripton in the appropriate examine function, the descriptions can exist seperately in a json file, each json entry would just have the tag of the item it's an alternate description for.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 09:38:03 PM »
These are the best ever. Please continue, maybe with some more cybernetics ads? They were... god DAMN. Exactly like ads are in real life, somehow you captured the exact crudeness.

Poe's Law seems to apply to advertising and propaganda.  No matter how much you try to satirize it, it will be almost indistinguishable from the real thing. 

Newspaper headlines, end of the world flyers, survivor scribbles, diaries! So much junk to find and read.
One can dream.
There's no real reason not to have stuff like that. In other games, that extra content would require models, artwork, voice-acting, and lots of RAM and disc-space; but in a roguelike all it takes is a couple big text files.

My only concern is that text stuff should always be ignoreable. Like in Skyrim, you don't have to read all those goofy books, but they're there if you want.

Also about the per-world procedurally-generated names, you're a freaking genius, that's an amazing idea.
It really makes an individual game world stand out from the rest.
Not me, man.  I was just stealin' the idea from Dwarf Fort. It has a number of vague lists, with themes like "fire" or "craft", and then combines them for names of people and places. That's why you might come across a haunted river called the "Petulant Urine", because it's basically just pulling from the EVIL+WATER lists.  Cataclysm, however, would probably be better served by narrowly focused lists with specific purposes instead of DF's broad conceptual ones.

Quote from: Kevin Granade
I just had a brainstorm, all I need to do is add a an item flag "dynamic description" and add a lookup for a descripton in the appropriate examine function, the descriptions can exist seperately in a json file, each json entry would just have the tag of the item it's an alternate description for.
I figured these would go in some raw file, because hard-coding text stuff would be a nightmare. Right now I have no real idea how it works, or how it will work, so I'm crankin out stuff willy nilly.  If there's a standard format or character limit or anything like that, lemme know.  I'll try to make it easier for you guys to plug content in. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:54:30 PM by Grackle »

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 04:38:37 AM »
Survival diaries are awesome, because you can give subtle hints to tips of the game or crafting recipes (without giving them away entirely).

Survival Diaries- "Path of the Looter"
(click to show/hide)

You would find the notes scattered in relative distances around your spawn place- so you could find the first one within a couple map tiles of the shelter, and the next one slightly further away. They would all have consistent, randomly generated names, and go in a direct "path"-- so if you headed north and found the first "Path of the Looter" diary, heading further north might uncover the next one in the gas station.

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 05:34:25 AM »
Survival diaries are awesome, because you can give subtle hints to tips of the game or crafting recipes (without giving them away entirely).

Survival Diaries- "Path of the Looter"
(click to show/hide)

You would find the notes scattered in relative distances around your spawn place- so you could find the first one within a couple map tiles of the shelter, and the next one slightly further away. They would all have consistent, randomly generated names, and go in a direct "path"-- so if you headed north and found the first "Path of the Looter" diary, heading further north might uncover the next one in the gas station.

Yeah, the coders will have to work some magic for presenting serial entries.  I hadn't thought of arranging them geographically.  They might just leave it random so that, even if one character never finds all the pieces, the player will slowly put the story together.

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 05:56:57 AM »
Yeah, it's not necessary to make them chronological, but it would make them easier to find regardless. (Maybe it would actually be better to force you to fill in the holes.)

Well, I guess it would be literally impossible since your spawn point is not static.

Maybe adding it in low chance loot in buildings or other areas (the game can tell the difference AFAIK) and when it's been spawned in the world it won't spawn again?

FEMA Diary 1
(click to show/hide)

FEMA Diary 2
(click to show/hide)

FEMA Diary 3 (Path of the Denizen)
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:

Path of the Denizen 2
(click to show/hide)

Path of the Denizen 3
(click to show/hide)

Path of the Denizen 4
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:18:24 PM by kilozombie »

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
newspaper headlines
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
Newspapers in the future? Ha ha. Yeah Right. Well, it's sort of a staple of the genre. Wandering through a ruined city, the protagonist picks up a newspaper with some shocking headline.  “ZOMBIES”  I think that even happens in 28 Days Later. 

None of these are headlines dive too deep into Cata Lore. They just generally set a tone of growing panic and bio-horror and bad puns.   

NEWSPAPERS:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Slax

• Survivor
  • Crash Test Dummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »
Research journals for scientists. Artifact hinting!

Offline Nopkar

• Survivor
  • Because there are worse things than Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »
if we were to add band poster generated per game, like the 3 or so you mentioned, what about pulling those same names to some mp3 players? "A hit song from the 'Stomach Monkey's' begins playing"

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »
UPDATE!  The infrastructure for this is working!  you define what I'm calling text snippets in data/raw/snippets.json, entries look like this:
Code: [Select]
{
    "category": "flier",
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Diet Devil brand Metabolic Exchange CBM.  It shows a picture of a tiny obese devil sitting on a woman's shoulder. The woman stares intently at a gigantic wedding cake covered with bacon and candybars. The caption reads: \"Burn calories! Burn!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Diet Devil brand Internal Furnace CBM. It shows a picture of a tiny obese devil sitting on a man's shoulder. The man is about to bite into a frosting-covered baby. The caption reads: \"Eat What You Want! How You Want! Who You Want!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Diet Devil brand Ethanol Burner CBM. It shows a picture of a teenaged boy driving a car while chugging a bottle of whiskey. A tiny obese devil sits on his shoulder and drinks a martini. The caption reads: \"Drink like there's no tomorrow!\""
},

Notice the backslashes before double-quotes   \"
I'll be importing everything I can from the thread now, but in future use this format if you want to make it easier to add to the game.
Also notice the ""category": "flier"," part, I think it's pretty clear what's happening, if you want the description spawning on the same kind of item, you need to give them the same category string.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Doffeh

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:55 AM »
(click to show/hide)

I like this and do in general enjoy the feeling of playing in a game-world that allows for immersion.

However,I think brand could be replaced with corporations. I guess it's subjective, but I think there's something more sinister to a corporation. To me at least, the post-apocalyptic world best depicted when you have this whole atmosphere of big corporations that delve in everything from cloning to producing toothpaste. You kind of mentioned this already, but why not just go straight for it from the get-go and let it spiral out of control. I don't really see what harm it can do to build wobbly tower when it's lore.

I also believe that simple is better so could get straight to the point without being too descriptive. My opinnion is that being too descriptive gives the feeling of being exterior to the situation, where as your character should be knee deep in it and the player doesn't have a hard time understanding this. It's cool though.

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 02:50:18 AM »
I shall do some generic survivor notes in format!

{
    "category": "note",
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Some of them scream. Don't let the others hear it.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"I set a door on fire... they just walked through it.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"They aren't deaf. I muffled my scooter, actually.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Don't stick around the corpses... I saw one get right back up!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"The sewers aren't as safe as they might seem. Rats the size of boulders...\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"They're called zombies, you fucking morons!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"I got twelve of them. Say goodbye to my daughter... please... her name is Anna.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Don't drink the river water\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"i dlank smoe kind green liquid.. can't see\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"My best bud... he said the jelly cures everything. The jelly cures everything! I'm about to die from the flu and he says the jelly cures everything?!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"I found a scuba diver, dead as all the rest. Fucking thing grabbed at me through a fish cage! He thought it would protect him!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Where the hell is the military?!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Don't shoot a gun. Don't shoot a damn gun. They'll all hear it and run right at you!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a bloodied notebook. The first pages are filled with "it hurts" over and over. The rest is unreadable."
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: "Write down how many you got so far." followed by 4. Below it in darker pencil is the number six, then nine, then eighteen, in different handwriting. Below that, \"You got eighteen? Holy shit!\""
},

Offline Fniff

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
Put my posters in format.
{
"category": "flier"
"text": This is a poster which has an announcement on it. There is a cartoonish eye looking down above two trenchcoat wearing silhouettes. The caption says \"KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! THE ENEMY ARE WATCHING."\
},

{
"text": This is a poster which has an announcement on it. There is a housewife speaking to another housewife in a kitchen, while a sinister man in a trenchcoat with an overly large ear listens in outside a window. The caption says \"SECRETS ARE SECRETS; WHO KNOWS WHO'S LISTENING?"\
},
{
"text": This is a poster which has an announcement on it. A large crowd of children are playing happily in a playground while a large group of disembodied eyes look down upon them. The caption says \"SAFE BENEATH THE WATCHFUL EYES"\
},
{
"text:" This is a poster which has an announcement on it. Several criminals in balaclavas are looting a store. A line of policemen machine guns are aiming at them. The caption says \"LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT"\
},
{
"text:"This is a poster which has an announcement on it. A suicide bomber is running toward a crowd of screaming people. The caption says \"TERRORISTS ARE EVERYWHERE. REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY: IT COULD SAVE A LIFE!"\

Out of curiosity, what would it take to implement graffiti? As in, immovable wall details that cannot be removed but you can examine them.