Author Topic: Cataclysm: Texts, Notes, Ads, & Messages.  (Read 39093 times)

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
  • Don't trip on the (me) on the way in, har har
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Texts, Notes, Ads, & Messages.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »
You need quotations around the object text. For instance:
Code: [Select]
{
"category": "flier"
"text": "This is a poster which has an announcement on it. There is a cartoonish eye looking down above two trenchcoat wearing silhouettes. The caption says \"KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! THE ENEMY ARE WATCHING.\""
},

According to Kevin at least.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
Correct about the quotes, I noticed a few errors in the snippets, but if it's mostly-correct it's still better than just having the block of text (IMO at least).

Re graffiti, I'll need to dig into it, we already have a system that overlays grafiti on the map, but it only allows you to put graffiti on the ground.  The main problem I see with graffiti on walls is it will be visible on both sides of the wall, which is irritating to me, but certainly not the end of the world.  This is probably why it's restricted to the ground right now.  The same situation exists with posters, which I'd probably treat as a special case of graffiti.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
You could somehow prevent people from seeing graffiti/posters while they're Inside.

Offline Fniff

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »
Maybe desiginating interiors as an "inside" zone and exteriors as an "outside" zone. Needlessly complicated for just graffiti, but it could be good for other features. Like preventing people with wings from gliding indoors, or vampires from entering houses.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
It's complicated and hard to do right, for example if we did that grafiti wouldn't be visible from a house across the road, and it'd suddenly appear when you crawled through a window or walked through a door.

Can maybe have a "Facing" for grafiti, and only display it if you're looking at it from that direction...

There's no additional designation, there's already an inside/outside state for various locations, that's how we handle building interiors being dim, and keeping rain from affecting you inside.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
Right now the "inside/outside" calculations are kinda shit.

Some parts of buildings are bright as day and others are dark. I can walk around in my house, some parts of it let acid and normal rain in. Feeling cozy in your house? Too bad, you're melting.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »
Are you playing 0.4 or more recent? There have been some adjustments to this since 0.4, but I can't guarantee that everything works perfectly.

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
0.4. I haven't tried newer builds for some reason. If they work better in the git builds, I'll go try it, then.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »
Specifically your issue sounds like a problem where some furniture was being counted as "outside", which would let sun and rain in, I updated the furniture to count as outside.

Yes, the way it's calculated is a terrible hack, but I think being generous is better than the alternative, so if you have a table outside it has an invisible umbrella over it instead of houses randomly having holes in their roofs.

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »
It's complicated and hard to do right, for example if we did that grafiti wouldn't be visible from a house across the road, and it'd suddenly appear when you crawled through a window or walked through a door.

Or if you were inside looking out a window, you would have weird x-ray vision allowing you to see the posters in neighboring houses. 

Adding a cardinal 'facing' to a tile would be cool.  It would allow other cool stuff like wall-mounted video screens and lights and light switches and control panels; and 'wallpaper' would let you to have different color rooms in one building.  (Look at Space Station 13 for an example of how it might work.)

However, I'm guess that would also be difficult to add, and you devs seem to have a lot on your plates already. I'll try to write around whatever you guys code. 

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 02:07:44 AM »
Aside from graffiti, we could always go the lazy route and just put fliers on the ground, fallen off of walls.
{
"category": "flier"
"text": "This is a crumpled piece of paper. Superimposed on the front is a picture of a rotting zombie dog's corpse, along with the words \"LOST DOG\". Below, in handwriting, are the words \"What kind of sick fuck are you?\""
},

{
    "category": "note",
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Some of 'em are big. Real big. Don't stick around, I saw my mate get fucking torn in half!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"po p y fl ow er s don t ea at them\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Some guy is walking through the horde without a scratch. Please tell me they're docile now. Please fucking tell me.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Swamp water tastes good! An\" before ending abruptly."
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Why are all the lawnmowers broken?!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Some of the bridges, they're right next to each other, right? If you see something up ahead one of those, just careen through to the other side. My van was long enough to bridge right across!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"BURN BURN BURN BURN BURN ALL BURN ALL BURN ALL BURN\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"I took all the supplies. Don't follow me. I'm sorry, man. I have to look out for myself now.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"My next-door neighbor had a katana in his basement!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Am I the last one alive?\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Boyfriend stole my pistol while I was asleep. I locked him in the bathroom and set the house on fire. At least he attracted their attention.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"I get air conditioners, but... this whole laboratory is frozen to ice!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Fuck aerodynamics, I want another engine!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"A wood ax works pretty well against them. So does a machete, but you can't cut down a tree.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Why would you hide in a farm? Sure, it's isolated, but if they know where you are, you don't exactly have cover on all sides.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Imagine if this spread to, like, Australia. Zombie kangaroos. Haha...\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"How DO I use THESE bionic THINGS? I just STUCK the wires IN my WRIST and now I CAN'T STOP twitching. AND now my LEG hurts! Is THAT acid?!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"I tried playing memorial music for my dead brother, on a radio. They must have been attracted to it. I can't see his grave through the crowd anymore.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Took a picture of a dead dog leaping right onto a soldier. Sweet fucking shot!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Gas mask is nice and all, but I can hardly run with it on.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is a hastily scrawled-on note. It reads: \"Those evac shelters have basements. Remember when they were full of food? Every single one is fucking empty now...\""
},
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:29:02 AM by kilozombie »

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »
Near-future dystopian sci-fi has to have blood sports! Like Blood of Heroes and Roller Ball. (The 70's Roller Ball, though, not the L.L. Cool Jay remake.) This is a future version of women's roller derby, which is a pretty apocalyptic sport already.

{
    "category": "flier",
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League.  It shows a picture of a huge woman holding a sledgehammer while rollerskating.  The caption reads: \"Next Sunday at the Albany Blood Dome!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League.  It shows a picture of a woman on roller skates jumping a barbwire hurdle. The caption reads: \"Rolling Thunder!\" and \"Eastern Division Semifinals.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League.  It shows a picture of a female skater with a bloody machete clenched in her teeth.  The caption reads: \"No Refs. No Rules. No Survivors.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League. It shows a blurry picture of three women skating around a racetrack.  The caption reads: \"Banned in 32 States!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League.  It shows a picture of a dozen women in orange jumpsuits rollerskating around a track. The captions read: \"Race for Freedom\" and \"Prisoner Parole Extravaganza!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League.  It shows a picture of a woman with cybernetic legs and built in roller skates. The caption reads: \"the Brooklyn Decapitators vs. the Vermont All-Scars\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League.  It shows a picture of a woman swinging a baseball at a referee's head as she skates past him. The caption reads: \"the Hawaiian Heavy-Hitters vs. the NYC Disco-Dolls\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the National Women's Roller League.  It shows a picture of several female skaters wearing hockey masks and holding chainsaws.  The caption reads: \"the Chicago Sunshine vs. the Texas Chainsaws\""
},

(Oh, man. I wouldn't've used quotes so much if I had known those were for objects. I guess it'll help me learn where the backslash is on my keyboard.)

Some more advertisements. Trying to stick, mostly, to items that already exist in the game. 
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear.  It shows a picture of a naked man standing in a UV sterilization booth and tanning bed.  The caption reads: \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear.  It shows a picture of a man wearing a transparent plastic raincoat.  Underneath he wears only leopard print bikini briefs.  The caption reads: \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear.  It shows a picture of two women wearing a pink gas-masks in a crowded and smoky bar.  The caption reads: \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear.  It shows a picture of a woman eating sushi in a suggestive manner. She wears colorful latex gloves that extend up to her elbows.  The caption reads: \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear. It shows a picture of a models wearing the new line of filter masks as they walk down a catwalk. The caption reads: \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear.  It shows a picture of business man wearing a face mask connected to a briefcase filtration system. The caption reads \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear.  It shows a picture of a man and woman dining at a high-class restaurant.  The man examines their food with a sleek looking Geiger counter.  The caption reads: \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for Modern Hazards brand safety gear. It shows a picture of a bald woman spraying antibiotic perfume on her scalp.  The caption reads: \"Safety First. Sexy Second.\""
},

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 11:33:07 PM »
Considering the amount of gun stores in an average town, I assume Cataclysm has the US in a C+ type gun regulation.

{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Sig Mosquito .22 pistol. It depicts a smiling clean-cut businessman with multiple full holsters around his belt. The caption reads: \"Why take one?\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Ruger Redhawk revolver. It depicts a smiling woman. In one hand she holds a stroller with a crying infant and in the other she holds a large revolver, which she is staring at. The caption reads: \"It's your NEW baby!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the FN Fiveseven pistol. It depicts a smug-looking teenager twirling two of them around his fingers. The caption reads: \"Impress your friends!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Remington 870 shotgun. It depicts a surprised man in a suit being showered with money confetti, holding the shotgun in his hands. The caption reads: \"Only $20!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Firemage brand flamethrower. It depicts a young-looking boy holding the gigantic machine in his hands, the fuel tank laid to the side. He is atop a roof, burning a crowd below him, and laughing. The caption reads: \"Fun for all ages!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the American-180 submachine gun. It depicts a young man in graduate clothes leaping through the window of an office building. He clutches the gun in his hands and appears to be firing wildly. The caption reads: \"No permit required!\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Remington-700 sniper rifle. It depicts a man covered in grass camouflage laying down in a bush, holding the Remington-700. The caption reads: \"Never miss.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Savage 111F rifle. It depicts a homeless man crouching behind a dumpster. A bullet is piercing through the metal and then his heart. The caption reads: \"Never miss.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Gray-Matter brand crossbow. It depicts a ninja holding the crossbow in his hands in an alleyway, as two figures walk by. The caption reads: \"Silent. Fast. Dangerous.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Gray-Matter brand compound bow. It depicts a ninja sitting on the edge of a building, holding the bow sideways. Behind him is a pile of decapitated heads with arrows in each one. The caption reads: \"Silent. Fast. Dangerous.\""
},
{
    "text": "This is an advertisement for the Gray-Matter brand authentic longbow. It depicts a woman in a wedding dress sitting by a campfire in the woods. She holds the bow toward a shadow in the trees. The caption reads: \"Silent. Fast. Dangerous.\""
},

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 12:04:06 AM »
Ads are fun but they're like popcorn.  I want to do some more filling filler too.  Here's an example of longer series of notes fitting together in a narrative.  It's supposed to A> make the world seem (formerly) inhabited, B> give hints as to stuff in the game, C> set a tone for sci-fi-horror-action, D> be a little bit entertaining in it's own right.

This one isn't very good, though, and still uncomfortably long for in-game text.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »
You're right about the popcorn kind of stuff. I always love them, but they all kind of meld together. Storylines like the one you made are a lot more fulfilling.

Egoraptor's comparison was between a lot of potato chips or a high-class dessert.

I'm having trouble coming up with a jumpstart for one besides laboratories though. Any ideas?