Author Topic: iOS Version  (Read 27221 times)

Offline nhal

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: iOS Version
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 03:34:42 AM »
I know, and whenever you press enter the locked keyboard goes away, so it makes it unable to be played with bluetooth keyboards.

Offline cliffs

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »
I know, and whenever you press enter the locked keyboard goes away, so it makes it unable to be played with bluetooth keyboards.

I did not handle any Bluetooth keyboard related events, thus I am not sure what would happen if using an external keyboard. I'll try to get one and test it.

BTW how is the performance running on iPad Pro? I haven't get one but would like to know. Thank you.

Offline SBombay

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »
Thanks for the port.  I just played my first run.  Died after getting pulled off a bike into a hoard.  I am on Ipad Air2.  It runs fine.  Music pack sounds good.  I tried a Logitech bluetooth keyboard with no success.  Support for keyboards would make this perfect.  Your control scheme was very intuitive and playable for somebody that knows most of the keys.  The popup 2 finger drag command list is handy but could be shrunk down just a bit so the last row isn't half hidden.  Thanks again!

Offline stk2008

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »
This sucks on so many levels :(

I am being teased by an IOS version but I have been after an Android version for about 3 years now DOH.

Any way OP great job it looks amazeing from the screenshots I have seen.

Still no mattr how much I want this it will NEVER make me get an Apple product :P

Offline KliPeH

• Survivor
  • Master of Savescumming
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
Just tested this on my jailbroken iPhone 6 [iOS 8.3];

POSTED - December 9th
EDITED - December 30th

1. Toggling the graphical option for tilesets on and off doesn't do anything, nor does changing the tilesets themselves. You're stuck with the same tileset no matter what you do, and as much as I've waited for this port I won't be playing it if the default ASCII tileset isn't supported. The screenshots show different tilesets in use but, like I said, none of them actually work.

2. There are a few little bugs with the screen such as the ones that appear after using the inventory screen or closing and (S)aving the game with graphical tiles enabled.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Nothing too bad though.

3. The gestures are brilliant, but the right side of the UI isn't very useful at all. The X and V buttons are essentially useless from a gameplay standpoint, and "go up/down stairs" are very far from being the commands I'd use the most while playing. How about changing the right-to-left gesture from the (V) menu to, say, (i)nventory? Adding the (V) menu, or the (e)xamine command, or the other e(x)amine command as one of the buttons? Add a button to toggle the crafting menu or the construction menu?
There are far better commands you could use on these 4 buttons. I'm not asking to add more of them, as it would probably clutter the screen, just change the existing ones.

4. You should be able to access the options menu in-game. Since my keyboard doesn't have an Escape key, Options are accessible with ? => 2, but how about adding a "pause menu" button (which functions similarly to the Esc menu) at the top right corner of the screen? Make it tiny, but still noticeable. Have it contain the options, the autopick rules, the nice playing instructions you wrote and the default FAQ found in the PC version of the game.

5. Using the locked keyboard mode blocks the moving pad, forcing you to use the actual keyboard for movement. Now, personally, I got used to moving with the numpad, and the numbers being displayed by order don't help much at all. I think an easy solution is to just move the pad up when the locked keyboard is activated so you can still use it in combination with the keyboard. The other thing is to create your own, custom keyboard UI(?) and set custom buttons that will have set commands so you have to use the actual keyboard less.

Here's (a part of) the custom keyboard Prompt uses, which I have actually used to play roguelikes on my phone via SSH in the past. Note the new "quick access" buttons at the top of the keyboard.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
This would make playing with a virtual keyboard MUCH more convenient.

Congratulations on your release. It's a good start, but far from properly playable in this early state and I'm just an idiot. Would love to see the stuff I mentioned get fixed further updates to newer experimental versions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:17:08 PM by KliPeH »

Offline Jokehats

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
Man, I was looking forward to this. Unfortunately, it only works on iOS 8. I may have to jailbreak my iPhone just to download this, warranty be damned!

Offline SBombay

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 06:39:30 PM »
I'm on IOS 9.2 and it runs great.   I assume you are on something prior to 8.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 05:57:20 AM »
Forwarding a bug report I received via email.
Code: [Select]
iOS 8
iPhone 6 Plus, 64GB

Game plays sound when the mute switch is off. Not a huge issue, but would be good for consistancy.

Congratulations on the release!

Chad
Congrats from me too!

Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline syd430

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
A couple of bugs that have made it onto the final build.

All on iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1 non-JB

- Freezes for a few seconds after a couple of turns when first loading save file

- Sometimes crashes when re-entering the app on initial menu screen, only fixed by changing the phone orientation, force quitting does not fix

- Keyboard sometimes changes to a light grey colour and freezes game for a couple of seconds

- Part of the map remains at the bottom of the initial menu screen when exiting out of a game (as also mentioned by KliPeh above

Offline Jokehats

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm using a crummy iphone 4. No os 8 for me ;( I'm guessing whatever weird way this is running only really works for newer os's, but I'm still numbed. It looks like a solid port tho, even with the expected clunky ness from not havering a real keyboard.

Offline SBombay

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »
I know how to make the keyboard stay up for typing long strings.  But how do you toggle it back to minimize after one key press?

Offline Loplop

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »

I did not handle any Bluetooth keyboard related events, thus I am not sure what would happen if using an external keyboard. I'll try to get one and test it.

BTW how is the performance running on iPad Pro? I haven't get one but would like to know. Thank you.

Just found this port today--excellent work!  It looks fantastic on the iPad Pro. 

Surprisingly, though, it doesn't allow keyboard commands via a keyboard attached via the new Smart Connector (I'm using the Logitech Create).  If you could enable that, I would be very grateful!  It would be a much more intuitive way to control the app on the giant iPad :)

EDIT: I should clarify; the app doesn't respond at all to keyboard presses on the Smart Connector keyboard.  It is as if no keyboard exists.  I have seen this on a few other apps (that stubbornly bring up the on-screen keyboard even with the keyboard attached), so I'm wondering if there's a bit field somewhere to allow/respond to Smart Connector keyboards.  Hopefully, it's that easy to fix.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 03:56:22 PM by Loplop »

Offline cliffs

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 06:48:17 PM »
Just tested this on my jailbroken iPhone 6 [iOS 8.3];

1. Toggling the graphical option for tilesets on and off doesn't do anything, nor does changing the tilesets themselves. You're stuck with the same tileset no matter what you do, and as much as I've waited for this port I won't be playing it if the default ASCII tileset isn't supported. The screenshots show different tilesets in use but, like I said, none of them actually work.

That's pretty weird. I can change the tileset, even disable the tileset and use ASCII instead.

2. There are a few little bugs with the screen, such as the ones that appear after using the inventory screen or closing and (S)aving the game.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Nothing too bad though.

This issue has been addressed in the Github. I will confirm if it was fixed in the main repo.

3. The gestures are brilliant, but the right side of the UI isn't very useful at all. The X and V buttons are essentially useless from a gameplay standpoint, and "go up/down stairs" are very far from being the commands I'd use the most while playing. How about changing the right-to-left gesture from the (V) menu to, say, (i)nventory? Adding the (V) menu, or the (e)xamine command, or the other e(x)amine command as one of the buttons? Add a button to toggle the crafting menu or the construction menu?
There are far better commands you could use on these 4 buttons. I'm not asking to add more of them, as it would probably clutter the screen, just change the existing ones.

How about letting players to set their own favorites?

4. You should be able to access the options menu in-game. Since my keyboard doesn't have an Escape key, how about adding a "pause menu" button (which functions similarly to the Esc menu) at the top right corner of the screen? Make it tiny, but still noticeable. Have it contain the options, the autopick rules, the nice playing instructions you wrote and the default FAQ found in the PC version of the game.

Seems good I'll think about it.

5. Using the locked keyboard mode blocks the moving pad, forcing you to use the actual keyboard for movement. Now, personally, I got used to moving with the numpad, and the numbers being displayed by order don't help much at all. I think an easy solution is to just move the pad up when the locked keyboard is activated so you can still use it in combination with the keyboard. The other thing is to create your own, custom keyboard UI(?) and set custom buttons that will have set commands so you have to use the actual keyboard less.

Here's (a part of) the custom keyboard Prompt uses, which I have actually used to play roguelikes on my phone via SSH in the past. Note the new "quick access" buttons at the top of the keyboard.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
This would make playing with a virtual keyboard MUCH more convenient.

Congratulations on your release. It's a good start, but far from properly playable in this early state. Would love to see the stuff I mentioned get fixed asap.

The locked keyboard was intended to type long strings. But moving up the D-Pad and the buttons when locked keyboard is shown seems a good idea.

Offline cliffs

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm using a crummy iphone 4. No os 8 for me ;( I'm guessing whatever weird way this is running only really works for newer os's, but I'm still numbed. It looks like a solid port tho, even with the expected clunky ness from not havering a real keyboard.

I have an iPhone 4, and was think about support it too. But I gave it up because some libraries used require iOS 8 at least.

Offline cliffs

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
I know how to make the keyboard stay up for typing long strings.  But how do you toggle it back to minimize after one key press?

Just swipe down.