Author Topic: StatsThroughSkills II  (Read 42518 times)

Offline Midaychi

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: StatsThroughSkills II
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 12:55:02 AM »
I've been using zombie's version ever since he posted it and it works perfectly as is, IMO.

Offline Maey

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 03:44:14 AM »
I like that idea as real life works this way.  If your out of shape it's (relatively) easy to get stronger but a full time athlete is going to see much slower growth. It is also self limiting which removes the need to argue about what the cap should be.

That was pretty much what I was going for, yeah. If anyone is interested, download this and replace your existing data/mods/StatsThroughSkills/main.lua with it.

The balance isn't particularly well-tested. The way it is right now, if you have 9 ranks in all 7 Str skills, you end up with a Str of 15 instead of the 29 of the original, which seemed okay to me, but it's easy enough to open it in Notepad or whatever and change the exponent from 0.5 (which is square root) to something a bit higher or lower depending on your tastes.

It's not based on the one in the OP of this thread, so it does recalculate the base stats, but merging the two should be fairly trivial if anyone wants that.

Offline IguanaMan

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
I like that idea as real life works this way.  If your out of shape it's (relatively) easy to get stronger but a full time athlete is going to see much slower growth. It is also self limiting which removes the need to argue about what the cap should be.

That was pretty much what I was going for, yeah. If anyone is interested, download this and replace your existing data/mods/StatsThroughSkills/main.lua with it.

The balance isn't particularly well-tested. The way it is right now, if you have 9 ranks in all 7 Str skills, you end up with a Str of 15 instead of the 29 of the original, which seemed okay to me, but it's easy enough to open it in Notepad or whatever and change the exponent from 0.5 (which is square root) to something a bit higher or lower depending on your tastes.

It's not based on the one in the OP of this thread, so it does recalculate the base stats, but merging the two should be fairly trivial if anyone wants that.
Nice work, like it... thanks

Offline plaidman

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 01:59:07 AM »
I think everybody in this thread had some great ideas, so I made a mish-mash of everybody's ideas.

I took the idea from xfin where stat points added at character creation wouldn't be wasted (or exploited by removing them).

Then I added maey's idea of summing the total skill then taking the square-root to figure the bonus stats. I thought that was a bit too easy to get the first couple points (at 1 and 4 skill) so I changed those to 2 and 5 points, then the rest at 9, 16, 25, etc. All skills at 10 will get you 8 bonus points.

Then I added my own flair by only counting skills if they had at least two points. So if you have 3+2+1, it'll only count as 5 total, but if you have 2+2+2, it'll count as 6 total. I also cleaned up the code a bit and restored the "updating stats" messages.

I considered adding some logic in to make it harder to get bonus stats if you add a bunch at character creation, and easier if you remove some. I haven't figured out a good equation though, so I figured I'd leave it and test it like it is.

I can add a download link to my changes if anybody is interested.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:18:55 AM by plaidman »

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 04:14:43 AM »
I think everybody in this thread had some great ideas, so I made a mish-mash of everybody's ideas.

I took the idea from xfin where stat points added at character creation wouldn't be wasted (or exploited by removing them).

Then I added maey's idea of summing the total skill then taking the square-root to figure the bonus stats. I thought that was a bit too easy to get the first couple points (at 1 and 4 skill) so I changed those to 2 and 5 points, then the rest at 9, 16, 25, etc. All skills at 10 will get you 8 bonus points.

Then I added my own flair by only counting skills if they had at least two points. So if you have 3+2+1, it'll only count as 5 total, but if you have 2+2+2, it'll count as 6 total. I also cleaned up the code a bit and restored the "updating stats" messages.

I considered adding some logic in to make it harder to get bonus stats if you add a bunch at character creation, and easier if you remove some. I haven't figured out a good equation though, so I figured I'd leave it and test it like it is.

I can add a download link to my changes if anybody is interested.

A download link would be nice, I am nowhere skill enough to do something like this.
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline plaidman

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 11:31:27 AM »
Much appreciated!

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
Sure, here you go: https://bitbucket.org/jrtomsic/cataclysm-dda/downloads/StatsThroughSkillsIII.zip

This stopped working for what ever reason, I can't seem to figure why. Tried modifying the original one and this one to no avail, no errors, just won't work...

Offline macrosblackd

• Contributor
  • Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »
It stopped working because there was a change to how add_effects was called. I'm working on a rewrite of STS that hopefully should be ready sometime this weekend.
...(flamethrower) for dogs and kids ...

Offline zackj44

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
I'm not certain if this is the right place to put it, but I have a suggestion -- a bit of a tweak I make to the mod whenever I update is to move archery from perception skills into strength skills. Pulling back a bowstring is hard and bound to raise the archer's strength after enough practice, and leveling up marksmanship already raises perception. This'll make it so low strength archers can practice with a self bow until they're strong enough to use a short bow, eventually long bow, etc.

Offline eternalflame

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »
My experience with the 3/6/9 suggests the skills were pretty evenly spread between all four attributes. That said, perception rapidly becomes useless to increase unless we consider something ridiculously op, such as Niten Ichi Ryu damage bonus.

That said, I like the uncapped idea here, though square root is rather harsh.

But I want my character to become superhumanly, if not outright supernaturally strong. My views on end game balance are biased.

Offline zombie11121

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 06:21:28 AM »
It stopped working because there was a change to how add_effects was called. I'm working on a rewrite of STS that hopefully should be ready sometime this weekend.

Does anyone know what have changed exactly ?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:03:30 PM by zombie11121 »

Offline TaiGambol

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 04:46:08 PM »
So me and my friend MichaelMalus, with a bit of help from DanmakuDan, managed to tinker with this and get it working. Since macrosblackd hasn't gotten back with an update, I thought I'd post it here so you guys have it.

It's on Dropbox, largely 'cause it's the only reliable webspace I have access to - if anyone has better suggestions, let me know or rehost it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjmus5en099b9eq/Stats%20Through%20Skills%20IV.7z?dl=0

Edit - uploaded a version without my debug messages, should be less spammy now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:05:47 AM by TaiGambol »

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
good stuff. Will have to try out the new and improved stats through skills when this character dies I think.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Edgar_Allen_Poo

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
So me and my friend MichaelMalus, with a bit of help from DanmakuDan, managed to tinker with this and get it working. Since macrosblackd hasn't gotten back with an update, I thought I'd post it here so you guys have it.

It's on Dropbox, largely 'cause it's the only reliable webspace I have access to - if anyone has better suggestions, let me know or rehost it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjmus5en099b9eq/Stats%20Through%20Skills%20IV.7z?dl=0

Hey, I'm sorry if I'm just being dumb, but I've tried all four versions of this and haven't been able to get one to work.  I even tried installing one through CDDA Launcher.  Am I supposed to do something other than just extract them to the mods folder like I usually do?  I can't even get them to appear in the list of mods to load.