Author Topic: Miles  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Sebastian2203

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Miles
« on: November 30, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »
I remember when the sirens went off, it was like hell but worse. Me and my team were protecting the bank, we received a report some fools were trying to break in and run off with money. Those were days the SWAT command was still active and running, even thought half of the city was swarming with zombies and all of the civilians were on the run. Our superiors still pretended they have it under control.

They even gave us a turret to fend of some "desperate drug addicts", now I know those were zombies.
I mean, all this bullshit they have been forcing on people has been kinda sick, and I sometimes wonder why were they hiding the truth so much. How many lives were lost because someone thought that FEMA camps were safe? How many people prepared nothing for their defense when the media constantly lied about the state of emergency? Only when the shit finally hit the fan did someone slur out "We are fucked" things started changing, but it was too late. Well I am sure the censorship guys are no longer alive, because no one will stop me from saying this now: they-fucked-it-up.
And the hell did in-fact break out, we stood there guarding the bank for hours and half of the clips were emptied because we constantly had an enemy contact behind the corner.
When suddenly, the communications just went into full static, I remember our guys from the team decided to keep maintaining positions, so did I. With exception that I realized half a hour later that the situation won´t get better. I did not uhh... "desert" immediately, I waited for the right moment, I planned to use chaos to my advantage. You have no idea how some of those guys were loyal, they could´ve have shot me in the back for running away, plus leaving my team there was just... bad. I waited for when that horde started approaching very close, then I said out my plan to our team. When we were left with one clip of ammo, everybody suddenly changed their mind and followed me to leave the area. I thought this would have saved many lives, it did, but it didn´t matter because half of our team died when we were running away from that city. Our goddamn swat car was nowhere to be found. Oh I remember that guy from another SWAT department from neighboring city, we swapped it or something. Simply some bureaucracy stuff and they temporarily "burrowed" it for when we were guarding the bank. Promised to give it back when the operation would be over, huh.

Now when we finally got out of the city, four swat officers: Mike, Ian, Travis who received a nasty bite wound and me.
Because half of the team was dead, I was the highest ranking swat officer. I am not sure if that was the reason they followed me, I did not want this "responsibility", when we were running trough miles of forests and fields, searching for food, occasionally raiding a city with our night vision googles, Travis died in a two days. It was very hard punch for me, I was trying to save them all but I couldn´t stop the fact that our group was getting thinner. 

We always kept our SWAT shirts on, it was some sort of loyalty until death thing.
Mike my long time friend, well we always guarded our backs but this time, we had a hell of time guarding our own backs.
I remember he used to smile a lot before the bad news started happening, he used to have a lot of this happy energy around him, cracking jokes, he even used to aim his gun better. But after it, his face has formed into emotionless mess.
I did not hear about his family, he never talked about it, but I assumed he lost contact with them.
Ian he was a newbie, just finished college and aced trough the police forces exams, I heard he had very good abilities, that´s why he ended up in SWAT. But for all the four months we have been out in the wild, he never talked too much. I am sure it has affected him too, I mean you have to be crazy to be not shaken with this end of the world, I think I was handling it the worst way, emotionally.
I started thinking about death, I even started praying. I was imagining what would world look without humans and realized that I still have a bullet left in my handgun, enough for a suicide. Suddenly, I stopped fearing death, I was excepting to die around every corner. Maybe I was asking for a final moment. There was nothing to live for, we were no longer really the SWAT. We were guys who used to be elite of something which has gone extinct.

(Might continue this)
P.S: Sorry for grammar, I am not native English speaker.

Offline Sebastian2203

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Miles
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
Our first raid, was rough. We decided to strike the city somewhere around 2 AM, from our nearby forest spot. We had almost no equipment and we were still using the MREs provided during the emergency start. We badly needed anything to make our life less miserable, no blankets no shirts to change. Our SWAT letters almost got yellow from the sweat.

We had our night googles, so we were able to avoid those walking husks. We raided one house, we got in quite easily, found few juice bottles and some food from the fridge. But no blankets, the rest of the house was empty. Why would someone take away all the stuff except the food? Getting out wasn´t so easy, it made a noise when Ian used different window to leave. Nearby herd of zombies started running towards us. So we had to use firearms, but we had to be smart. One bullet, one head, no waste. It was relieving to see our team standing there patiently aiming their gun-sights against the zombies, they kept their cool. That meant we were still able to maintain the situation.

When those dozen zombies dropped, we realized we had a worse company around the corner. Human bandits.
We did not even notice properly who was shooting AKs, we just somehow collectively ran into cover and retreated. Except Ian, he catched a bullet into his kidney. I respected him for that he was able to inform us about it when we safely returned to our forest base, running with a bullet in you can hurt.

"Take this, I still have the first aid kit" said Mike as he offered the field aid kit to his teammate Ian.
"I am starting to feel dizzy.."
"Whoa! Sit down, seems like you lost a lot of blood" says Mike when he notices Ian stumbling around, he presses the bandage around his bullet wond.
"The bullet did not go very deep because your armor protected you partially, if we had a knife I could be able to get it out of you."

I was just there sitting on the cold ground, littered with leafs from the trees nearby. I was not very optimistic of our future, another action with this risk might result in death next time. And that was something I wanted to avoid badly.

When we went to sleep we always lied to each other, I knew it would let us share our body heat.
Falling asleep was hard, it was kinda cold out there. Not windy because of the trees around.
She visited me in my dreams, I remember her eyes. So blue. So soft.
She asked me what my intentions are, and if she is part of them. I said maybe.

Offline Artyom177

• Survivor
  • With duct tape, anything is possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:24:39 AM »
For a non native English speaker it was pretty good. I understood it pretty well.

Constructive Criticism Ahead!-------------------------------------------------------Please don't get your panties in a twist!

But still; work on your English writing. I know your not a native speaker but it does help to practice a bit.
Look at how other people are writing their stories, whether here or an actual story book, study that. Then create your own style of writing that fits your personality.
More practice, and you could make the next Alone. Never know, try and shoot of the stars my friend!

Good Luck :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:27:44 AM by Artyom177 »
Zombies, Demons, Chicken flavored robots...

What could go wrong?

Offline Sebastian2203

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:26:50 PM »
Zombies per mile

He keeps walking down the road, breeze gently whips his clothes. Sweat turns cold due to wind, eyes focus on his legs. Gotta keep walking forward. Heavy backpack holds a bow and few arrows, which allows for a swift suppression of a threat. Boots are dirty, many miles have written their mark. Legs fit, yet tired. Body on the edge of exhaustion, yet mind ready to face the challenge. This is not how it ends, definitely, there is a many more places to go than to leave. Willpower is strong with this one.

The sun is already setting and he is in middle of nowhere, unsure where to take shelter. He takes a drip from his water bottle. Mind is now busy thinking. It is summer, that means no worry about sleeping under the sky, it also means body scent spreads far, breeze only increases it. To set campfire or not? It would make him visible from distance, but he would be able to see it coming. He needs light, today is going to be moonless night if his calendar doesn't lie. No, he decides. No campfire, his senses and sharp awareness will be his guard trough the night.

"Today I killed four zombies, average rotting husk with their clothes decayed, walking in middle of a road. That is thirty for this month. This week has been fairly empty of zombie encounters."- He writes into his diary.
He lets his stomach enjoy some snack and he uses his right arm as a pillow to sleep on. He hopes his dreams will be dreamless, she visits him too often in his dream and those blue eyes always make him feel guilty.

In blink of a second, he stands up completely by reflex, but it was just a wind. Even though his eyes see nothing in the midnight darkness, his nose feels nothing, ears only confirm the peace. He trusts his sense, nothing smells more awful than a years old zombie and nothing bitches more than a hungry zombie. Wondering why did he just woke up to the sound of a wind, he falls asleep again.

Another morning, another few gulps of a water. He stretches his legs and sits for a moment, morning fog hits his skin and condensates into drips of cold water. Time to move on. A city on the horizon, judging by the map he assumes it is the "Chicago". Finally after weeks of travel he might finally see his target. Maybe his brothers are still there, he won´t know until he makes it into the city. But now he has to focus on careful approach, it is the same peek-and-go tactic.

But approaching from the distance already reveals a crowd, there is a lot of them. This needs some sprinting and smart moves..
He flexes his muscles, takes in a breath of air, he needs to make sure his muscles are ready for this, the journey was rough.
After aiming his muscle he lets go of the arrow, he goes into sprint in no time. The arrow breaks a window in distance, piercing trough the glass loudly, because it was aimed at a corner of the building the angle allowed it to pierce another window on the other side of the building. At least few dozen from the crowd hear that, following their dumb senses they, blindly and hungry, go for the noise.
He does not hesitate a second and is already in full sprint, few zombies notice that. He jumps on a ideally placed box and tries to climb onto a roof of a small house. The view is not very good because of the low height of the building, but it is still better than the ground level.

He jumps and uses his knife to cut off a zombie that he lands close to, swift and quiet it only moaned a bit, only few zombies were attracted, nothing hard to outran. Now he jumps trough a few fences, quick yet carefully to not hurt his legs because some of them are sharp. He keeps coming closer to the city, the attention around him is slightly bigger but he again remains with his mind cold with no  worries. Fear is what can become an obstacle if it is not tamed, at least that´s what he tells to himself every time he jumps his way trough the city, like now.
A bank emerges from the corner, now the crowd is even more dense. He takes a peek around the corner trying to not attract any more hungry necks, he has limited time to think as because the few who still follow him might bite him very well soon. Fortunately his thinking is not slow-witted and he jumps onto a nearby car parked on the sideway then on another and another, those wrecked cars litter the road everywhere, it takes the zombies a lot of time to climb it so it is a safe option. As he keeps jumping his way closer to the bank he takes a glance to examine it, assuming it was untouched by the remnants of the human civilization then it has alarm still active. He used to guard a bank like this one a long time ago, he knows how to set off an alarm. Another arrow could set it off and attract the whole city, focusing it on one spot and leaving the rest relatively free, assuming he can run away from them unnoticed. An idea pops out in his head, so he proceeds to it. He breaks a window in one of those cars, gets in and prepares his bow. A plus is that this car has those dark windows, it will be easier to stay hidden. He fires off an arrow trough the window, and it hits the front glass door of the bank piercing trough the glass. After few seconds of tense waiting, he realizes that it probably won´t set off. While he tries to reconsider his choices, he walks away silently executing any zombie that might stumble upon him as he starts sprinting, he looks onto the bank again, a pack of zombies is bashing their way trough the door following the previous shattering noise. He knows this might be his chance and starts sprinting in a full power, jumping and using parkour to move faster he puts a decent distance between himself as the alarm goes off, he sees a lot of zombies turning their heads towards the noise. He must be careful now to be not caught by a swarm of curious necks. Doing the same thing with a car, he finds another one and uses it to hide himself in.

Now the while has passed, and he is able to search the city effectively, passing many doors he fills his bag full of supplies. As he walks trough the halls of a ruined police building in which the still turned on alarm echoes from distance, he notices a note on the table.

"Ian! I will return here when it will be October, you wouldn´t believe me but I found people, actual living people, you just have to go far North and you will find them. I have so much to talk about, but I only have to tell you that things might not be so bad after all."

His mind bursts out in bliss when he recognizes handwriting of his bro Mike, it was a long time since he saw him. Maybe they think he is dead, it has been so many months since they set off in different paths to search for answers, but it looks like this group still wants to be together, no matter the disadvantages.

All that is sure is that he has to keep waiting, one day they might reunite, Ian would probably want that MP4 player with good ol´ RnB music he found few weeks ago. Maybe this world is not so lost after all, his hearth now shines with hope as he knows that there is decent chance that they are alive and well.

Offline Artyom177

• Survivor
  • With duct tape, anything is possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
I like this a lot! A definite improvement from last time!

Good read! :D
Zombies, Demons, Chicken flavored robots...

What could go wrong?

Offline Sebastian2203

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
Cold facade of midnight, moon barely shines on the road asphalt.
He sleeps undisturbed by the cold, too protected to shiver.
He rests assured, ears too trained for the most subtle sound.
Legs ready to spring back up in a second.

But this was different.

Walkers might be obvious from miles. Storm is felt in the knees. And he sure did not hear any howls at the moon.
This surely is different.

Weird scent pulsed trough the air.

Then one of the distant street lamps cracked.
His eyes opened wide.
Another one cracked with a weird sound.

Flash of light from all sides stunned him, coming trough the street lamps like a wave.
His breathing completely stopped and he jumped out of his sleeping position right on to his firm legs.
He hoped he would at least know something before his eyes adjusted to the brightness.

Soon his whole world light up, he could see the wave of light continuing down the road and further.

Is this possible? Is this is it?

Another crack, a shattering darkness falls upon him, a darker one than he was in before.

He was confused, were his eyes playing him games?
He started breathing fast, nervous, he considered his options.

Someone really turned on the power grid? People?

As he kept thinking, his mind got darker.

Is this really it? Just three seconds of light? What?

He then looked around and noticed it, a huge storm on the horizon, occasional spark lighted it up from the distance, then sending a loud thunder towards him.

He realized it, it was just a lighting hitting a power line.

His mind crumbled, his knees heavy let him drop on the ground.
He cried.

Such is depressing the reminder of the days before.

Good read! :D

Sorry for such late response, but thanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:45:50 PM by Sebastian2203 »

Offline Sebastian2203

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
In an abundance of loneliness nobody can last.
There is only so long a human can go without another human.
And when the boundary is hit, he looses half of himself every day, but someday he will realize he can´t go without himself.

As himself is the only voice of reason and might makes right, but there is nobody to argue with.
And once one gets tired of listening to himself, he stops listening at all.

Winter is still long way on the calendar.
And there are still many miles ahead.