Author Topic: The Forgotten Races (Alpha Released, Download Available)  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
The Forgotten Races (Alpha Released, Download Available)
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:52:09 AM »
Human civilization is gone. Long hidden creatures once relegated to myth and legend step forth from the shadows to reclaim the world.

This is an idea I've been thinking on for awhile. I'd like to add some more variety to the wildlife and give the world a bit more flavor. While walking around, the player may come across a multi-way battle between the various races, the zombies, robots, etc. Or you could step into a cave and be swarmed by a pack of kobolds or smashed by a solitary ogre. The basic premise is that these mythic creatures were pushed into hiding by the humans and their technology. Now that the humans are mostly dead and their technology is decaying, the forgotten races have come out to try to take back the planet. I want to see multi-faction battles and everyone against the zombies.

I'm requesting ideas. More fantasy/mythic races, possible equipment loadouts, habitats and habits. I brainstormed for a bit and came up with the ideas below, please share yours and I'll try to make an awesome mod.

-=Races=-
(click to show/hide)

This is a very early version. I didn't want to release it yet, but things are rough IRL and I probably won't be able to work on this for a couple weeks more at least. I would like feedback on how strong the monsters are and suggestions on equipment. The spawngroups will eventually be replaced with hidden overmap specials to avoid the feeling that orcs, elves, halflings and goblins are omnipresent.
Goblins are fairly numerous and spawn everywhere, even though they are only added to GROUP_FOREST. They will run if you kill a couple, which is a nice emergent mechanic that I enjoy. I am also releasing a version of Combined Monster Groups which incorporates this mod, edit as appropriate for your mods of choice.

Alpha version 0.01 for Experimental 4304
Google Drive
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:55:01 PM by Malkeus »

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Races
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:55:00 AM »
I would like to suggest a few more "races"

Magi: creatures with the ability to use magic, may or may not be human in origin.

Spirits: The souls of the dead, the blob took their bodies, they have come back for revenge.
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:19:55 AM »
I'm going to add an undead faction. Opposed to all life (despite appearances, blob-zombies are actually alive) and animated by some evil force. Think Evil dead...

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:56:44 AM »
So true undead? I see, spirits would be nice as well.
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline WIndburns

• NPC
  • I Squeeze Cats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
Werewolf species that can go to two directions I'm thinking of:

1.  Human npcs who transform at night.

2.  Intelligent humaniod wolves who succumb to bloodlust (adrenaline withdrawal) at night.

Friendly with wolf packs, always by their side. 
The main difference is we focus on content and internal systems

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 10:36:40 PM »
Ah, interesting. Guessing this is that thing to mentioned you had the DF-style mod I posted on hand for. o3o

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 02:20:47 AM »
Yep. I could totally see adding 'professions' for each race later on. I want to get a handle on creating monsters and adjusting spawnrates and drops first. I'm not working on it this weekend, but I've got a skeleton of the itemgroups done; fleshing it out is taking more time than I thought. And I want to redo the descriptions of everything, it's all placeholder text for now. Currently there are Dragons, ogres, trolls, orcs, goblins, kobolds, dwarves, halflings and elves.
I've been playing with the mod for a couple hours and mostly what I see are halflings, elves and goblins. I set them to spawn in the forests, but they spawn EVERYWHERE instead. I think I'll need to make overmap specials for everything to spawn in instead, as that will be both easier to maintain and less overwhelming. Caves are not great for spawning things, they are almost always empty or have a rat king, no matter how high i set the frequency.

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:33:26 AM »
Ah, nice. o.o

Offline WIndburns

• NPC
  • I Squeeze Cats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:12:23 AM »
It be pretty cool to arrange the professions for races like orcs and trolls based on a hierarchy of rank, like in lotr.
The main difference is we focus on content and internal systems

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 04:18:58 AM »

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Sweet, how do i get to play as a kobold...or at the very least make one a pet.

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
Sweet, how do i get to play as a kobold...or at the very least make one a pet.

I'm gonna have to link to that thing again. Or maybe I should've made a thread for it. o3o

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 05:34:45 PM »
What thing?

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
***ThoughtStreamBegins***
Use monster evolution to increase difficulty gradually.
Initial exposure to forgotten races could be tiny (is TINY a possible size?) "scout" creatures, brownies, fairies, single goblins and kobolds. Spawned in hidden(cabin in the woods style) overmap specials for plains resembling faerie rings, circle of flowers surrounding a large rock or tree (several types?). As time passes, stronger monsters will spawn in the circle. Forest specials that are empty at first, then populated by orcs/elves. Random goblin groups start tiny, get larger. Goblin/kobold filled caves, later overtaken by ogre's and dragons. Sewers become overrun with kobolds. Multiple evolution tiers? Faeries->goblins->orcs->ogres->dragons?
Can lua be used to manipulate the environment? Maybe use new calender functions from STS to replace center of faerie ring with entrance to a cave? An invasion of creatures from below, maybe sideways a dimension(underhill)?
**End**

I was working on something else and as usual, all these ideas started coming to me. Sorry for the rambling nature, I typed them as they came to me. I've not been able to do much on this mod the last week, I stalled out on equipping things, it's incredibly boring. I'm going to buckle down and finish the current implementation so I can get feedback on the monster strengths, then dive into making map tiles to replace the current monstergroup setup. In the mean time, I'll be releasing a forgotten races specific combinedmonstergroups mod in allthemods and vanilla+FRonly flavors.