Author Topic: The Forgotten Races (Alpha Released, Download Available)  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Races
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:57 AM »
***ThoughtStreamBegins***
Use monster evolution to increase difficulty gradually.
Initial exposure to forgotten races could be tiny (is TINY a possible size?) "scout" creatures, brownies, fairies, single goblins and kobolds. Spawned in hidden(cabin in the woods style) overmap specials for plains resembling faerie rings, circle of flowers surrounding a large rock or tree (several types?). As time passes, stronger monsters will spawn in the circle. Forest specials that are empty at first, then populated by orcs/elves. Random goblin groups start tiny, get larger. Goblin/kobold filled caves, later overtaken by ogre's and dragons. Sewers become overrun with kobolds. Multiple evolution tiers? Faeries->goblins->orcs->ogres->dragons?
Can lua be used to manipulate the environment? Maybe use new calender functions from STS to replace center of faerie ring with entrance to a cave? An invasion of creatures from below, maybe sideways a dimension(underhill)?
**End**

I was working on something else and as usual, all these ideas started coming to me. Sorry for the rambling nature, I typed them as they came to me. I've not been able to do much on this mod the last week, I stalled out on equipping things, it's incredibly boring. I'm going to buckle down and finish the current implementation so I can get feedback on the monster strengths, then dive into making map tiles to replace the current monstergroup setup. In the mean time, I'll be releasing a forgotten races specific combinedmonstergroups mod in allthemods and vanilla+FRonly flavors.

In one of my mod reverse engineering exercises I discovered the advance technology mod spawns monsters via lua, maybe this can be modified to your needs. Also, glob/fungus spawn nature could be use to infest areas.
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:50 AM »
@Noctifer That is very interesting to know, I'll have to dissect that mod to learn it's secrets. I'd like to make goblins and kobold behave like the ants, that would be really cool.

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 01:24:40 AM »
Preliminary version released, I'm not happy with it but I am unable to put more time into right now. Better to get feedback on it now so I can address problems when I am able, rather than leave it languishing on my harddrive.

I am asking for feedback on monster strengths, group sizes and suggestions on equipment and drops. The current locations are not final.

Download available in the OP.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 06:39:43 AM »
That's some very...curious ideas there. o.o

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
curious? is that supposed to be code for "you either need to take more or less medication, not sure which?"
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
curious? is that supposed to be code for "you either need to take more or less medication, not sure which?"

Both

Anyway, I would still like to see spirits/ghosts and shadows.
They really wouldn't be "spirits" but remnant information from conciseness*.

*Everything can be considered information including conciseness (citation needed.)
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
^ the most scientific approach to ghosts. Mandatory.

Offline Chezzo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »
Malkeus was on IRC making this when I started doing tiles for mods, so I did his first:

http://chezzo.com/cdda/ChestHole32TilesetFantasy.zip

Just 32 for now, I will pr them as soon as I make mags.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
whats IRC in that context?

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I like that, it reminds me very much of Shadowrun's tides of magic. And I smell some Lord of the Isles in there as well. It's a unique take on the interaction between the 3 primal forces.

<snipped>
Anyway, I would still like to see spirits/ghosts and shadows.
They really wouldn't be "spirits" but remnant information from conciseness*.
*Everything can be considered information including conciseness (citation needed.)

I have ghosts on the list of additions I'll make once the current crop of races feels like a part of the world, I'm thinking some kind of ethereal being which doesn't interact directly with the player, instead it will add a creepy vibe to certain areas. I want to shift to overmap specials as spawn points for all races, the monster_groups are to inflexible and prevalent. Ghosts could get placed in cloned versions of existing tiles, making hidden 'haunted' houses with very rare spawns elsewhere.

Malkeus was on IRC making this when I started doing tiles for mods, so I did his first:

http://chezzo.com/cdda/ChestHole32TilesetFantasy.zip

Just 32 for now, I will pr them as soon as I make mags.
Awesome! Thank you so much for this Chezzo, it really makes the monsters feel like part of the world. You are great :)

whats IRC in that context?
IRC stands for internet relay chat, Cataclysmdda has a server available to talk in real time to other players about whatever you like: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#CataclysmDDA This is the address for the web client, just type in any name you like and join in.

I will be on very rarely for the next couple of weeks, issues at home require my attention. Thank you for your ideas and I look forward to your feedback. I'll be around ;)

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 08:06:46 PM »

It's code for "you overthought this idea even more than I thought the lore for Arcana mod" actually.

And aw, we now have a Chesthole tileset for unofficial mods, but still no support for existing mods? o3o

Offline Teyar

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Races (Alpha Released, Download Available)
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 03:35:53 AM »
Yeah, to follow up on what you asked, Malk, my impression of fantasy critter encounters was that their incredibly powerful - Mind you I only went a few rounds with them, but the goblins and the elves especially seemed quite capable of ruining my day in no time flat - The brutes certainly do so if/when they land their smash, but I occasionally have a guy manage to take them down without being completely wrecked at character creation. In the three characters I ran, elves flat out owned me entirely, and the goblins were just a step below that. Orcs felt about right - Just a step below brutes, painful but not particularly fast or dodgy, and halflings were similarly appropriate, like tuned towards middle kreks, accurate and dodgy but not super high numbers on them.

Didnt have anyone get in long enough to see the rest. I'd say you probably want the elves to be archers to differentiate them, but no entry level character had a remote chance of surviving an encounter with them.

Offline WIndburns

• NPC
  • I Squeeze Cats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 05:41:56 AM »
Stone gargoyles guarding churches and graveyard, troll merchants and their caravans go town to town, minotaur farmers.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:12:52 AM by WIndburns »
The main difference is we focus on content and internal systems

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 07:51:38 PM »
seems like elves should be largely friendly if not attacked, due largely to the fact that they have almost nothing to gain from attacking humans outright, and are smart enough to recognize that. At worst Elves should want to enslave what is left of humanity for cheap labor and cannon fodder for their archers, mages, warriors etc...

If the Elves are friendly it gives starter characters  viable bases of operations (if they are given villages) and a great way to be introduced to the rest of the Races at a manageable pace, and told about them from a people that it makes sense to know about the other races.