Author Topic: PK's Rebalancing Mod  (Read 69618 times)

Offline hobophobic

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: PK's Rebalancing Mod [Updated 31JAN15]
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 03:40:51 AM »
How do I install it?

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 06:06:13 PM »
How do I install it?

You put it into the mod folder

[game]/data/json/mods

Drop it in, and when you create a new world it will be under "balance", the third column over.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:08:35 PM by pisskop »

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 06:07:42 PM »
Ive been doodadling around with the idea of how zombified wildlife would evolve, but I really wanna wait for stabbing damage for regular attacks gets implemented.

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
-Updated Mod
-Added third post to discuss any issues with the mod and give advice.
-Asking for help with ideas for Triffids and Mycus upgrades.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:12:07 PM by pisskop »

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 12:18:28 AM »
-Asking for help with ideas for Triffids and Mycus upgrades.
As in evolution? If so, the mycus is capable of taking over many organism even if infected with the blob. My guess would be of mycus versions of various monsters and wildlife. As for the triffid, to spread their numbers and survive longer, upgrading to more passive but highly resistant versions would make sense. Like those trees that live for thousands of years; low attack but high armor/hp and quick regeneration.
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
Re: PK's Rebalancing Mod [Updated 07FEB15]
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 05:13:51 PM »
Noctifer, thats a pretty decent idea!

Okay.  Im also looking at adding 'Joke' monsters.  But its my current understanding that they dont spawn traditionally, so I may either settle for making them extremely rare regular ones or I may just look into the code and try to learn how do LUA.  That would make my life a lot easier as I could start trying to code in custom attacks/effects.

On my list are:

-Godzukki (Water Lizard)
-Companion Cube (Bunker Beast)
-Senator Armstrong (Bio-Op style)
-Bronze Colossus (wrecking ball)
-Urist (cave dweller xenophobe)
-smurfs (little blue men)
-Caccodemon (probs not a joke)
-IT (again, not a joke)

We'll see what I can do, but these were things that make me happies.

In the meantime Ive just copied out the faction lists of the fungus amoungus and the triffids.  I dont think that the triffid should 'evolve' like Zombies, so they may get rarer forms.  The fungus can eat parsite things, so I dont mid the idea that most of their force is a twisted mockery.

= = = = =

Ima be using this space for my own little notes.  I figure this way its at least transparent.  I want them to share a rough balance with each other before I address player tactics.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:27:39 PM by pisskop »

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 02:56:46 AM »
Ive got a very rough Idea of what I want to do with the triffids considering my limitations :(

But Im not completely unimpressed.
  The TRDL is that I've 'fleshed out' the 'creeper' lineup with a worm like tendril and an mobile upgrade of the vines.  This is to add some weaker critters around, and to see if I can make hubs play topside.
  The Treent lineup comes in 2 relatively rare flavor.  A triffid 'native' glowing blue tree and a smaller, later coming 'treent'.
  The dionaea are heavily armored and heavy biting.  Although in my quick testing tonight he wouldn't bite me, but bite the ants I spawned happily.  Maybe ants really do taste better.

And I added some limited night vison for robots becuse yolo.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

As always I do appreciate thoughts.

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 04:14:28 AM »
hehe... TRDL's... trdl, trdl...

Anyway: I'll give these a try tomorrow, sounds very interesting. I'm not thrilled at the idea of tankbots that see in the dark, it makes sense in a technical fashion, but they are ridiculously deadly. Theres a certain range at which they switch from the main gun to a machine gun, perhaps the night vision could be limited to that range? A tank shell out of the dark isn't likely to be survivable, but a machine gun burst would at least give the survivor a chance. Instant kills at range are no fun.

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »
So . . .  good news.  ish?

Ive done a little work last night, and polished up the last of the mechanics.  I ran into solid evidence that the best thing to do if I dont want a critter to evolve at a certain point, or otherwise preserve an 'intermediary' monster (say a 'teenage' plant) is to add a terminal upgrade.  eventually the game will have so many 'spawn points' that itll get to the endstage evos no matter what.  Which is slightly dissappoint; thats actually something I explicitly want to avoid, and should run tantamount to actually preserving some for of Greenie.

Anywho.  I did some fixing up of some of the triffid critters, and tested the night vision on robutts.  Robot night vision seems to preclude any form of 'special attack'.  Perhaps because you arent actually 'lit up' and bright enough to target.  They instead wander over to you and even start to smash into your car.  Or flamethrower you.  That too.

AFA the triffids.
  Ive added some actual venom to select triffid monsters, added rarer, more upgraded triffids, weakened the creeper hubs and let them spawn outside, gave a shelf life to their vines and let them spawn outside, added a way to ensure the timely destruction of the creeper vines, and let them upgrade into several little forms that let me ensure that they wont all end up as vine beasts.  Because wow, let me tell you about that.

The creeper hub will pump out more than 3k vines if you let it.  It doesnt stop.  Ever.
  So I added effects to make them melt away and die after a period of time.  In the lore, these little vines are combining into the other upgraded vine forms, simply ducking under the ground.
  Because the game will continually try to upgrade critters I cannot stall it forever when its trying to by cycling the monsters through a loop.  They eventually bleed out of the 5% chance of being a Vinebeast.  Thus, half the vines in an area turned into vine beasts within a season.
  Worse, I added an upgraded vine beast thats supposed to be unpleasant to deal with.  My level 5 melee character killed it 1v1, but not without significant poison, both venom and from the slowing poison.

But thats all more or less fixed now.

Instead of trying to upgrade all the triffids like zombies, they use 'terminal' forms.  A terminal form is one that cannot evolve, but is more or less like an intermediary form.  This lets me keep them around or dispose of them.  Ive also added a time pre-req on some of the triffids from spawning to begin with, and that hopefully keeps you safe for long enough.

Anywho.

robot night vision turns out to be somewhat overratted.
Triffids will spawn, and expand more rapidly due to the focus on 'vines'.  Several very powerful forms of triffid exist, but they dont quite put of the same damage as the zombies can.  For instance a zombie tank wrecks groups of treunts, and pairs of blue auroras.  many have high armor and lower agresion, but that doesnt make them invincible or you guys friends.  Tell me how you feel about the vines/grass.  Youll know it if you see it.

Triffids and robot, v0.63

Im open to change of these, but  had no issue running 3k creeper vines onscreen at once, so a few hundred for your neglect seems managable.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:54:22 PM by pisskop »

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
Re: PK's Rebalancing Mod [Updated 11FEB15]
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 01:49:23 AM »
I ran through 3 triffid groves, and this may help.

v0.63b

Reduces the time before the creeping grass decays.

my level 5 melee character had an easy day in there.  Ill be looking at underground spawns to see if I can fix that.  But a few pipe bombs to disperse the creeper grass and I was okay as long as I took my time with stamina.

Honestly.  Was harder approaching the site than to kill it.

Offline hobophobic

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »
Is it possible to update this mod without starting a new game?

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 06:04:14 AM »
If you already have the mod in then yes.  New creatures will spawn within their proper constraints.  Any taken out should produce errors, but I havent taken any out.
  You would also have to make sure only one version of the mod is in the mods folder.

If you are trying to add a mod to a world that was genned without it you would have to update the mod.json file in the save folder, which may or may not go well.

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 06:16:11 AM »
adding monster spawn changes after the fact doesn't hurt anything. If you're using static spawn the changes won't show up until you generate new terrain, but dynamic spawn will start showing up fairly quickly. It's fairly safe to add just about anything really, but making a backup save is never a bad idea.
As pisskop said, removing things will produce a debug message, but they generally go away after all the missing items have had their chance to complain. I removed artyom's mod and expansion mode after the magazine changes broke them, and aside from a pile of broken items and debug messages, there were no long term ill effects.

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 06:31:03 AM »
So while here . . .

Creeper Hubs are apparently hardcoded to spread all creeper vines within the bubble, regardless of if they are adjacent to other vines or the creeper hub itself.  This happens regardless of creeper vine spawning cooldown and only in the creeper can vines spread out to more than just the adjacent tiles.  No other critter can create vines as the hubs do.  Which means I cant upgrade them or include other types.

There are a few types I could add.

-Default creepers will spread their vines, and are blind, deaf, cant smell, and cant attack.  Their death causes the death of all vines/grass
 -The ones in now will do the above, at the same frequency due to the hardcoding, but will not murderize the vinegrass.  Ive coded the vinegrass to kill itself.
 -The one Ive got in my world right now is one that can see.  It has a smash attack and a vine attack.  It also has a tentacle attack.  I had a slowing needle range attack but since that does zero damage its redundant when all the surrounding vines grab you.  But it will defend itself with ineffective vines (that seem to ignore creature base damage), a tentacle attack, a smash attack, and some poison.
  -I have an idea to make a 'flowering hub', that can spit sap at you, but I dont knwo if combining monsters is a good idea.  Besides, what would I do wit biollantes then?  (Ive already added an upgraded version for giggles, and willbe testing them inside the groove soon.)
  -I have an idea for an acid spitting creeper.  Acid is something I dont want to overuse since its reputation is that of an OP mechanic, but the design of the creeper encourages it.

Think about it.  A creeper spits out vines.  The vines do almost no damage to somebody wearing even moderate armor, as long as they have 100% coverage.  The vines do grab people though.  The player/zombies would have to kill the vines to get to the hub.  The hub could very easily use slowing darts and acid to suppliment the vines grabbing and impeding forward progress to really do some damage.  The same applies to biollantes, which are so dangerous because they can attack so fast.  But are blind, deaf, and dumb otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:32:42 AM by pisskop »

Offline TheFlame52

• Survivor
  • Forumite Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
Damn, son, I need to get more 20x66mm flares ASAP.
Quote from: Jarlaxle
All hail our new Over(powered) Lord TheFlame52
Quote from: Arek_PL
THEY CAN DAMAGE FLAME! WE ARE DOOMED!
Quote from: Jakers
Oh Marloss Man, you and your unstoppable rampages throughout the world.