Author Topic: Overmap Rebalancing - Update (2016-11-29)  (Read 11443 times)

Offline leon713

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Overmap Rebalancing - Update (2016-11-29)
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Good day, ladies and gentlemen!

First of all: Please excuse my bad english, I didn't have a lot of practice in recent years.

I really like all the mods, that get delivered with Cataclysm - and use most of them. Since the base game already delivers a lot of locations for every "overmap region", it get's more with some of these mods enabled. Personally, I prefer maps with small cities, that are far away from each other. It generates this "all alone and lost"-feeling to me. What I dislike is an overflow of locations on every regional overmap. It prevents this feeling. But I also really enjoy mods like "Arcana", "More Locations", "Z-Level_Buildings" and "PKs rebalance" (lite versions, delivered with Cataclysm - I don't know if my mod works with the full versions of "Arcana" or "PKs rebalance".)
UPDATE: I now also use the mod "Extended Buldings" (updated version, to be found here)
So I decided to make this small mod.

(click to show/hide)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------- UPDATE (2016-11-26) ----------------------------------------------
------------------------- New content, a setup script and Whaley's great mods -----
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!

First, thank you to condortaco, Shadow86 & Garfink for their critiques!
I thaught about your feedback and decided:
 1) ...to mark the old description with a adjusted spoiler marker. So, however want's to read the old content description, can this.
 2) ...to write a setup script to simplify the complex setup process. It's only a Windows-BATCH-file, but hopefully should do the job. Please post feedback regarding this.

I also included Whaley's great mods Extended Buildings & Parks and Recreation Building Pack

Additionally, there is a new building (an abandond homestead) and there are some new building variations (basements).

I hope you enjoy!

PS. Don't put the extracted folder in your mod folder. Start the setup and put the resulting folder "Overmap_Rebalancing" in your mod folder.

------------------------- UPDATE (2016-11-27) ----------------------------------------------
------------------------- Bugfixing and new building variations included ---------------

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,

I'm sorry to say, but I found a bug in the script. It is now fixed and I also included some new building variations. The downloadable archiv has been updated.

Sincerely

Leon

EDIT: The bandits from GovTD's mod weren't shooting anymore. That problem is now fixed.

------------------------- UPDATE (2016-11-29) ----------------------------------------------
------------------------- Bugfixing and new building variation included ----------------

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,

I corrected a problem within the animatronics mod, included a new variation for the abandoned homestead and added a ... little extra.

Sincerely

Leon

Before updating, please delete the old mod folder!

WARNING: Because of the huge size of the mapgen folder because of this mod, it can take up to 1-2 minutes for the game to start the first time after you newly launched your system!

I hope you enjoy this mod. I'll appreciate your critiques!

- Have fun -

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/44phhdrghhgnh77/Overmap_Rebalancing.zip?dl=0

PS. Make sure, "OvermapRebalance" is the last one in your "mods.json" (found in your region-folder, which you can find in your save-folder).

==================================================
- C - R - E - D - I - T - S -
==================================================

Included in this mod are these excellent pieces of work:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:43:10 AM by leon713 »

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
Re: Overmap Rebalancing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
Huh, this seems like a pretty neat idea. Not my cup of tea but I can see people who enjoy small cities can appreciate this.
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline leon713

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
Thank you, Noctifer! :)

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:04:11 PM »
Id enjoy it.  Some things I feel do spawn too often.

I prefer large cities with fairly large empty spaces and small cities.  Some overmap regions dont have any large cities in them, and while its occassionally annoying to traverse them it feels a lot more like rural New Englad to me.  I dont think my State (in NE) has moose, for example.  Nor many wolves, but we have loads of coyotes.

But things like labs, that provide distinct benefits (bionics, mutagen, rare weapons/ammo, finale, and maps) spawn entirely too often for my taste.  Even though I use labs all the time, to have 7 or 9 of them in the area equivalent of maybe 20-50 miles overland is silly buggers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:06:03 PM by pisskop »

Offline AdonaiJr

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »
Leon, I think I like your idea. I definitely understand the feeling of small and far apart cities, plus the other things you mentioned. I'm going to try your mod.

Offline jcd

• Survivor
  • the lazy one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »
Nice idea. I too like to spawn a map with mostly small cities apart from each other.

Just one question re overmap stuff spawners:
Wouldn't this mod make the fungus practically take over the world in a couple of seasons? Being able to spawn 30 overmaps away should pretty much make certain that at too  many locations there would be a constant spawn of fungi.
Or will their spawning become slower enough to amend this?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:35:29 PM by jcd »

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 05:08:29 PM »
Nice idea. I too like to spawn a map with mostly small cities apart from each other.

Just one question re overmap stuff spawners:
Wouldn't this mod make the fungus practically take over the world in a couple of seasons? Being able to spawn 30 overmaps away should pretty much make certain that at too  many locations there would be a constant spawn of fungi.
Or will their spawning become slower enough to amend this?
Fungus spires have an even higher radius by default, iirc.

Offline Arek_PL

• Survivor
  • NEVER ENOUGHT VOLUME IN INVENTORY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »
good idea, im going to try this after i make new world

Offline leon713

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Overmap Rebalancing - Large Update (2016-05-02)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 02:23:57 AM »
Thank you all for your answers!
There has been a large update; see the entrance post for details.

Offline 123nick

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »
this is compatible with the mods listed, right? will it work without PKs rebalance?

Offline mco

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
I like this mod, but the mapgen could use some work. Sometimes it spawns labs, fema camps, etc in the middle of a forest without any connecting road.

Offline leon713

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
Good evening, gentlemen.

there has been another large update. For details, please have a look into the starting post.

Thank you for your suggestions and replies!

@123nick:
It is possible, to use this mod without pks rebalance mod.
Though I constructed this mod to, by default, assume every of the following mods are in use:
- "PKs rebalance"
- "More Locations"
- "Dino Mod"
- "Arcana"
- "Z-Level_Buildings"
- and "Extended Buldings" (updated version, to be found here)

If you don't use "PKs rebalance", please follow these steps:
1) Open the mod folder "Overmap_Rebalancing".
2) Herein you will find a file, called "monstergroups_mod_dino_and_mod_pkrebalance.json". Please delete it.
3) Then open the folder "Rebalanced_BuildingSpawns_BaseGame_&_pksrebalance" in the mod folder.
4) The file "overmap_specials_basegame_and_mod_pksrebalance.json" residing in this folder, should be deleted by you.
5) Last step:
-EITHER- rename
"overmap_specials_basegame_without_mod_pksrebalance.json_REMOVE_EXTENSION_MORE_STREETS" to "overmap_specials_basegame_without_mod_pksrebalance.json"
(then labs, fema-camps and some other building will have streets leading to them)
-OR- rename
"overmap_specials_basegame_without_mod_pksrebalance.json_REMOVE_EXTENSION" to "overmap_specials_basegame_without_mod_pksrebalance.json"
(then labs, fema-camps, etc. will not have streets).

If there are others out of the mods...
- "More Locations"
- "Dino Mod"
- "Arcana"
- "Z-Level_Buildings"
- "Extended Buldings"
...then have a look in the both folders "Rebalanced_BuildingSpawns_Mods" and "Additional_ExplodedBuildings_Mods" and delete the corresponding files.
For example, you don't want to use the "Dino Mod":
1) Open the folder "Additional_ExplodedBuildings_Mods".
2) Delete the file "omrb_explosion_mod_dino.json".
3) Open the folder "Rebalanced_BuildingSpawns_Mods".
4) Delete the file "overmap_specials_mod_dino.json".

@mco:
The behavior, you described, is not bug - it's a feature. :)
IMO secret locations like a military bunker, labs, missile silos shouldn't be connected via big streets. Also things like a simple radio tower, a sai or a power relay aren't normally connected with roads (at least where I live). FEMA camps are (I my imagination) rush raised as the cataclysm stroke. So they surely didn't begin paving a road to the camp. All in all, there (at max) should be dirt roads, which shouldn't be visible on the overmap. As there are no dirt roads in the game (afaik) I remove the roads.
But I imagined, that my outcome in this decision wouldn't be everybodies cup of tea. So I included an easy way to change this back:
1) Open the folder mod folder.
2) Open the folder "Rebalanced_BuildingSpawns_BaseGame_&_pksrebalance" in the mod folder.
3) Delete the file "overmap_specials_basegame_and_mod_pksrebalance.json" and...
4) ...rename the file overmap_specials_basegame_and_mod_pksrebalance.json_MORE_STREETS" to "overmap_specials_basegame_and_mod_pksrebalance.json".

Please post if you encounter any problems or find a bug.
I'll also very much appreciate your suggestions and critiques!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:26:08 PM by leon713 »

Offline mco

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Overmap Rebalancing - Another large Update (2016-05-07)
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 08:30:36 AM »
IMO secret locations like a military bunker, labs, missile silos shouldn't be connected via big streets. Also things like a simple radio tower, a sai or a power relay aren't normally connected with roads (at least where I live). FEMA camps are (I my imagination) rush raised as the cataclysm stroke. So they surely didn't begin paving a road to the camp. All in all, there (at max) should be dirt roads, which shouldn't be visible on the overmap. As there are no dirt roads in the game (afaik) I remove the roads.
It makes sense as far as logic goes, but i don't think this is a good idea from the gameplay perspective. You already limit labs to two per overmap, hiding them further will make search for them somewhat tedious. Also placing things like power relays and fema camps in the forest will often lead to zombies and wildlife wiping each other(especially prone with higher spawn rate) and making such place much safer to loot.

Offline 123nick

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
this mod seems awesome, however how would i set it up if i wanted it too be compatible if im running PKs rebalanced and noctifers Cataclysm++ only?  also, is there a version without the shelled/looted/nuked varients of buildings

oh and im also running the Zlevels buildings that come packaged with the game

Offline leon713

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
Good day, gentlemen.

@mco:
I understand your point of view.
By following the described steps, the mentioned locations will have streets again.
I'd like to thank you for sharing your opinion on this.

@123nick:
This mod has been build modular.
If you want to take parts, like the bombed, shelled or looted building variations, out, open the mod folder "overmap_rebalancing" and delete either the folders with the corresponing names or single files in this folders:

- "Additional_BurnedBuildings_BaseGame" (burned down variations of basegame buildings)
- "Additional_ExplodedBuildings_BaseGame" (bombed variations of basegame buildings)
- "Additional_LootedBuildings_BaseGame" (looted variations of basegame buildings)
- "Additional_ShelledBuildings_BaseGame" (shelled [and looted] variations of basegame buildings)
- "Additional_BuildingSpawns_BaseGame" (basegame buildings [police stations, bars, gunshops, churches, dinners, houses, abandoned stores] spawn outside cities)
- "Additional_BuildingSpawns_omrb" (new buildings, which come with this mod [orchards, allotments, public toilets, butchery, bakery, groves, plaza, studio flats, etc.])
- "Additional_ExplodedBuildings_omrb" (bombed variations of the new buildings, which come with this mod)
- "Additional_ExplodedBuildings_Mods" (bombed variations of various mod buildings [at the moment for "Arcana", "Dino Mod" and "Extended buildings" (updated version)])

In your case (using only "PKs rebalance", "Noctifers Cataclysm++" and "Z-level buildings"), I suggest the following steps:

1) Open the mod folder "Overmap_Rebalancing"
2) Delete "monstergroups_mod_dino_and_mod_pkrebalance.json"
3) Delete the folder "Additional_ExplodedBuildings_Mods"
4) Open the folder "Rebalanced_BuildingSpawns_Mods" in the mod folder ("Overmap_Rebalancing")
5) Delete every file BUT EXCEPT "overmap_specials_mod_zlevelbuildings.json"
6) OPTIONAL: Delete the folders "Additional_BurnedBuildings_BaseGame", "Additional_ExplodedBuildings_BaseGame", "Additional_LootedBuildings_BaseGame" and/or "Additional_ShelledBuildings_BaseGame".

Please post, if you encounter any problems!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:44:13 AM by leon713 »