Author Topic: KIC 8462852 Tabby's Star: Comet or Dyson swarm?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Survivor
  • What could possibly go wrong....
    • View Profile
Re: KIC 8462852 Tabby's Star: Comet or Dyson swarm?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 10:58:13 PM »
Uwah... Can someone explain this is layman terms? Harnessing the power of a star?

Amateur astronomers found a shadow partly covering KIC 8462852 while looking at data from Kepler, and published a paper in which they described their findings and offered several explanations for the shadow. A theorist said the shadow may have been caused by a Dyson swarm. News companies, seeing an opportunity to make money, spread the interpretation that the shadow was caused by a giant swarm of satellites constructed by aliens. Several explanations were offered, including an oblate star, the remains of a planetary collision, a giant swarm of cold comets, a Dyson swarm and
(click to show/hide)
but none of them completely explained the data. Many astronomers started looking at KIC 8462852 with radio telescopes to check for hot dust, thermal radiation from artificial structures, and intelligent radio signals, but no discovery of dust, heat or signals was publicly announced. A study of photographic plates taken of KIC 8462852 appeared to show a century-long dimming trend. A group of scientists in Louisiana published a paper criticizing the photographic plate methodology, saying that the photo plates were so widely different in quality that the dimming could be explained by poor data.

The dimming is still unexplained.
Inactive.

If you have questions about my posts, send me a PM.

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »
Uwah... Can someone explain this is layman terms? Harnessing the power of a star?
I don't know a lot about Dyson structures, but I think that is one of the intended uses. The Dyson swarm is basically a giant group of satellites partly or completely surrounding a star.
Inactive.

Offline FunsizeNinja123

• Survivor
  • Bleeding sand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:36 PM »
Oooh, sciency, I like it.   
"Pretty, yep." John Candlebury, on herself.
"Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ." ~ChristopherWalken
"Ninjas are so tasty." ~Kevin Granade himself
"This ain't Terraria.  Your wings are not powered by the Soul of Flight." ~KA101
"Never has my snake been more solid..."

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 11:40:47 PM »
I hope extraterrestrial life exists. I think the idea that an alien species is creating a Dyson swarm is neat.
Inactive.

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Inactive.

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 12:23:19 AM »
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:26:52 AM by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
Inactive.

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 01:33:39 AM »
Any results from Green Bank?
Inactive.

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
Well it dimmed again.
Inactive.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:46 PM »

Basically, a Dyson swarm is a megastructure, lets say, a ring, or sphere or mass of satellites orbiting a star to harness energy, like solar power. To which, the power harnessed on the megastructure, would be transferred to the planet for their own use. Think unlimited energy, or energy that can be used for a long time, or very generously.

It basically means that if a civilization is advanced enough to fully harness the power of their own star + the energy of that star that reaches their home planet, they're a type 2 civilization. This is also known as the Kardashev scale.

Humanity, in contrast, are around 0.85-ish on the Kardashev scale. We might reach type 1 in about 200+ years.

To be a type 1, we must utilize all the energy from our mother star that reaches our planet. In contrast, a type 2 can completely harness the power of the mother star outside the planetary atmosphere. The Dyson sphere is a popular example on how this could be done.

If you're still confused about a type 2 civilization... Think "Star Trek" and their technology, civilization, energy use, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Read into it, it's pretty interesting.

Some problems that can arise from transitioning into a type 1 civilization would, in a simplified explanation, be use of energy with inadequate disposal of heat which would eventually destroy the ecosystem. Or overpopulation, inability to feed the population, etc.

However, in about 200-400 years when we theoretically become a type 1 civilization, our science and engineering would obviously be much more advanced and we could most likely deal with these issues. Even at that period, we most likely comfortably inhabited other planets in our solar system - or maybe even beyond.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:12:40 PM by Rot »

First this knife, then, the World!

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 05:48:17 AM »
the harsh reality of the universe is that there are probably at this very moment aliens on some far off planet wondering into the ether if we exist or not as well.

truthfully, i doubt humans will ever personally be able to survive faster than light travel, warping and folding space are technologies so distant our grandkids grandkids great grandkids will still be fantasizing about it, really the most realistic method of long distance space travel would be colony ships big enough to support entire generations, which still has plenty of issues with it, noah's ark for instance if built falls apart under it's own weight, so good luck with us constructing a ship able to hold a substantial amount of people anytime soon.

so yeah, i'd be amazed if there aren't intelligent aliens out there who also haven't yet solved the problems keeping them solar system or galaxy bound just like us.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.