Author Topic: Mud and Blood  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
Mud and Blood
« on: October 04, 2016, 03:51:30 PM »
My name is...
Not really important, actually. Matter-of-fact, just call me 'Nine'.
It has a nice ring to it, and to be frank, nine minutes was all it took.

It's been almost two months since the 'cataclysm' started. Before it all, I was a Elementary School student. Still am, I guess. Learning new things, everyday. I never thought it would be "How to efficiently butcher an animal" or "Spetznaz knife fighting".

All in due process I suppose.
I've started from a timid and weak 5th grader to a battle-hardened survivor. I'm now someone who can kill with knife or gun, execute dead and living.
My loss of innocence is saddening, but those who fail to adapt will die.

It started with a loud shatter, a man climbed through a window with a shotgun. Just minutes before this I was napping in the library, now the dead swarm outside and start to trickle in.
He sat there in worried panic. I saw the dead tear the living, my former classmates and teachers ripping who was left apart.
The man was being followed, I was scared. So scared. I pleaded that he should come and protect me, that I was scared and didn't know what to do.
He agreed, he instructed me to collect any books that seemed important - survival, cooking, mechanics, anything. I agreed and got to work, picking up books - manuals, the things that kept me alive during the first few weeks.

He was fighting off the dead, we broke off from the mob and ran down hallways, ducking and weaving past any infected that got close, he dared not fire a single shot, lest we would be killed. We ran, I picked up a weapon to defend myself. A wooden baseball bat. I wasn't strong, but I was quick, flexible, and I have eyes of an eagle.

We looted the cafeteria, the science lab, and then we made a mad dash to escape the oncoming dead. I was lagging behind, tired. Scared. Shocked. So many things.

We stopped when we were far enough, the dead still looming behind us. He gave me his Mossberg 500, a bunch of shells, a trench knife, and a leather jacket. He showed me his bites. Four sickly looking bites around his leg and lower back. He wasn't going to make it, we didn't have any medical supplies. He told me to run and he would stay back and keep them 'busy'. I cried and couldn't leave. He comforted me saying that I would be okay, and that I need to live.

He bolted toward the mob following us, shouting and yelling, leading them away from me. I ran. Fast.

A stranger gave his life, and I didn't know his name.

I stumbled across a three story house with a battered tank outside, a few infected milling about. Town was pretty far away, so I shot them all. Revenge, hatred, all these emotions piling up had an outlet. Granddad taught me how to shoot, and I thank him. It wasn't much, but it was enough to point, fire, and when it was done, reload.

I made the house my home. Reading, eating, sleeping. I absorbed all this knowledge while scavenging about like a rat. I scoured the forests for food, preserved my freshly butchered meat using salt from the swamps, raided the town nightly, and eventually, with careful planning and being cautious, I piled up resources, guns, ammo, protective clothing, and knowledge. His jacket will always be on me. I will use the knife to protect myself, and the shotgun will be stowed away safely.

The almighty rolling fortress was slowing being repaired to full strength.

I ponder whether my parents, if they're alive, will recognize me if they see me right now. I am taller, more solidly built and flexible, and have vision so great I can see and perceive with great detail.

I've killed raiders, I've helped the old guard and became a marshal. I live in a light tank.

My skills are varied, I can craft explosives, shoot like an elite sniper, fix vehicles, electronics, and people. I can barter better than any merchant, and rally the most stubborn of people to my side.

My body is filled with bionics, and my mutations make me better. Stronger. Faster. Smarter. More Dexterous. Perceptive.

Inhuman.

Should I... regret? Lament? Hate what I have become?

No.

This world has changed, and so will I, with it.

My current equipment is posted here, also maybe new notes or feedback to how 'Nine' is doing sometime in the future.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=19.msg284983#msg284983
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:58:10 PM by Rot »

Offline Gnorse

• Survivor
  • Goddammit NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Mud and Blood
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 08:25:18 PM »
ten outta ten would read again !
"No can do, little hard to "lock and load" when you can't stand and it's a little hard to stand when your feet haven't grown back fully so the end of you legs are nubs"

Offline Pthalocy

• Global Moderator
  • Survivor
  • Babyfaced forum Janitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:59:47 PM »
Very much enjoyed the impact of your writing style.
Quote from: Rivet
We accept him, we accept him. One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Offline AdonaiJr

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
Nice one! Tnx for posting.

Offline DeclanFrost

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 06:51:51 AM »
Now this is a gem. Not many people writing fanfics these days. Love how you seamlessly incorporate actual game stuff into your story. Seriously though, people need to be writing more. Stuff like this embodies CDDA and other games in its genre. Mostly just text on a screen with very minimal graphics brought to life by human imagination.
Ironically there are more pimps in garages than wrenches.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »
Now this is a gem. Not many people writing fanfics these days. Love how you seamlessly incorporate actual game stuff into your story. Seriously though, people need to be writing more. Stuff like this embodies CDDA and other games in its genre. Mostly just text on a screen with very minimal graphics brought to life by human imagination.

I'm actually writing up my third entry to my (admittedly old) story line.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=12269.0;topicseen

Third entry is where I actually get into the meat of the stuff.

Offline BuckalistaPotacky

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 02:55:26 AM »
Great story! I love how this game lends itself to things like this.

I have one question, is there a log of every action for a single playthrough, or a way to make that happen? I know it scrolls in the sidebar but is that stuff saved permenently anywhere? I don't want to make a story based off of my current playthrough, because I savescummed (only died once, falling into a deep pit in a marsh I couldn't see, had no idea that could even happen, probably couldn't happen when way back when I started playing game has changed a lot). I'm trying to get to midgame this time and make a deathmobile at which point I'll stop savescumming. I just want to learn certain game mechanics. On day 11 now and have made so much progress I'd almost consider it midgame (starting to get into mechanics, farming, etc, my base is probably too safe to be interesting considering the location and that I didn't turn on wander spawns). 

I've probably played 50 games in the past and never made it to midgame (although I usually chose tough scenarios, and act unnecessarily risky, often nomadic). Trying to learn some more advanced stuff in this savescum game, but after this character I want to go back to playing legit, and would love it if I could have it automatically save all messages so I don't have to necessarily stop every day and write the story. Although I suppose that would be best (just write a bit, at least an outline, before sleep).

Edit: Also, 'Spetznas Knife Fighting' is a great book in this game! Good choice
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:04:01 AM by BuckalistaPotacky »

Offline KliPeH

• Survivor
  • Master of Savescumming
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
My name is...

Interesting. Did you take inspiration from Zankyou no Terror? It was quite a good show, albeit a little short. Both characters seem to have this accepting, "moving-on" attitude, so I was wondering.
https://myanimelist.net/character/103651/Nine

Offline Rot

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
My name is...

Interesting. Did you take inspiration from Zankyou no Terror? It was quite a good show, albeit a little short. Both characters seem to have this accepting, "moving-on" attitude, so I was wondering.
https://myanimelist.net/character/103651/Nine

I actually really did like that anime, but to sum it up - no.

I usually make weird, ambiguous names for characters I make like "Static" (for my old computer hacker character) or "Echo" (for my bionic sniper). The names usually pick a certain character, mental or physical trait.

In this case I made an elementary school student, usually a decently able one would be around 9-12