Author Topic: The game's hidden smart-assery, metaphors, symbolism etc.  (Read 4092 times)

Offline BeerBeer

• Survivor
    • View Profile
The game's hidden smart-assery, metaphors, symbolism etc.
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:39:20 AM »
I suspect CDDA is riddled with punnery. For example:

- When a zombie scientist drops a flask of acid, he drops acid. To drop acid = to use LSD. Does that also mean that the player is the z-scientist's hallucination?

- Caves are a location. You can go down into a cave and see several bats there. It's a... bat cave. Go ahead, put on a costume and make it your base. Can't drive a car there though. Yet. Getting a butler might be tricky too.

- Malls are riddled with normal zombies. Mall zombies = consumers at a mall. Go to an actual mall and watch the people walk slowly. Look at them. Just look at them. Mindless and casual craving for new and enticing material possessions, much like the zombies crave for the flesh of the living, possibly in an attempt to feel alive again, even just for a moment. An unending hunger with no cure.

The question is, what else is there in the game in plain sight? What are we seeing but not realizing?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:10:11 PM by BeerBeer »
. . sanity

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
Re: The hidden smart-assery
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:36:24 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline BeerBeer

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: The hidden smart-assery
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »
I... I don't understand what that means.
Edit: Oh... no, wait. I might get it. Was it hidden upsettingness or something? Do you frequent malls or do puns just get to you, Mr. Dragon?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:19:28 PM by BeerBeer »
. . sanity

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
Re: The game's hidden smart-assery, metaphors, symbolism etc.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:43:20 PM »
-Close a door you are standing on and the game says "There is a buffoon in the way!"

-Use a crowbar to pry where you are standing and it say that you try prying open your wallet but it is empty.

-If you have a mininuke, you can convince an npc to do something by saying "I have a thermal detonator."
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
-Close a door you are standing on and the game says "There is a buffoon in the way!"

-Use a crowbar to pry where you are standing and it say that you try prying open your wallet but it is empty.

-If you have a mininuke, you can convince an npc to do something by saying "I have a thermal detonator."

These are clever, YAFM things coded into the game.

Incidental puns are...amusing maybe, but how intentional they are is questionable. Especially dumb things like "oh hey, a cave has bats in it, guess it must be a reference to a character who named his lair after...a cave with bats in it" >.>

Offline proxiehunter

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:12:09 PM »

These are clever, YAFM things coded into the game.

Like the fact that, while I understand it's not actually named after the novel that introduced Hannibal Lecter, as far as I can tell the Red Dragon tea shop always seems to contain at least one copy of "How to Serve Man".

Offline Lazy_lizard

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
Use a lockpick on yourself and you get the message, "you pick your nose!"

Offline DatBoiJP

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 05:13:17 AM »
I remember trying to mop a spill at my feet once, and the game said "You mop yourself and implode," or "You clean yourself and the universe collapses," or some weird shit that made it sound like you swabbed your way out of existence. I thought it was funny, but I'm not sure if it still does that or not. I like those weird little messages, though. :D

As for the things like "bat cave" and "mall zombies" and zombie scientists "dropping acid," I think those might be a bit of a stretch as opposed to intentional jokes thrown in. Now, like, if the bat caves had a chance to spawn some old superhero costume pieces that for some reason resembled a bat and had really good armor, perhaps with a broken "batcar" or something, that'd be cool.

Offline DatBoiJP

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 08:47:28 AM »
OH MY GOD IF YOU ACTIVATE THE FEDORA IT BRINGS UP, "You tip your fedora."

10/10 would be surprised again

Offline Shopkeeper

• Survivor
  • Boy, have I got a deal for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:37 PM »
If memory serves, I think it gives a 'Euphoric' morale buff aswell.

Offline Pthalocy

• Global Moderator
  • Survivor
  • Babyfaced forum Janitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 01:44:13 AM »
Pretty sure attempting to apply a lighter to yourself brings up a message about you already being smokin' hot.

I may be mis-remembering, I applied a knife to myself just to see if it'd give me a stupid message and wound up cauterizing a wound I didn't have. Lo and behold, the masochism trait lets you fuck yourself up for pleasure. Not so much a joke as a bit of a hidden surprise.

For some reason applying a stethoscope to one's self doesn't give any sassy messages or handy feedback. What's up with that? My guy's a doctor!
Quote from: Rivet
We accept him, we accept him. One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
    • You can see my drawings here!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Not adding nothing to the thread, but this made me laugh my ass off.

Offline Solusphere

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 04:33:45 AM »
So I just realized that the icon for a Pet Carrier in the Chesthole tileset is a Pokeball.

Well played, Chezzo. Well played.

------------------------------------------------

Offline Pthalocy

• Global Moderator
  • Survivor
  • Babyfaced forum Janitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 05:33:45 AM »
An unintentional one - just realized that when holding still and passing turns manually (y'know, hoping that Big Bad doesn't hear you), you're literally hitting ". . . . ." on your keyboard.

. . .Shh.
Quote from: Rivet
We accept him, we accept him. One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Offline Chezzo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »
Well played, Chezzo. Well played.

Haha, thanks!