Author Topic: Anyone else feel like Bethesda games are slowly swirling down the toilet?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline SpadeDraco

• NPC
    • View Profile
It's especially evident in the Fallout series (not New Vegas that one was awesome and made by Obsidian), but the Elder Scrolls have been showing it too. I'd say ever since Oblivion introduced level scaling and radiant quests the developers have taken it as a licence to be as lazy as possible with the world building and quest design. It really sucks as nobody else in the industry is really making games similar to theirs and being more and more disappointed with everything that they develop is really eating me up as a fan of the format.   

Offline Subhazard

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else feel like Bethesda games are slowly swirling down the toilet?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:28:15 AM »
Games that you want exist, you just don't look for them.

How you got to CDDA without seeing those games is completely beyond me.

Offline SpadeDraco

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
Games that you want exist, you just don't look for them.

How you got to CDDA without seeing those games is completely beyond me.

If you're referring to other roguelikes I'm pretty well versed on them. I lamenting the lack of big pretty open world Triple A RPGs. I agree that things like Cata, Dwarf Fortress, and ADOM are leagues better than most "mainstream" rpgs, but I occasionally get the urge to play something with well detailed graphics and sound.

Offline Subhazard

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:31:47 AM »
The Witcher 3 comes to mind.

The Mass Effect series.

Dying Light

Or did you mean 'Exactly like an elderscrolls game, but done how I want it to be done'

Because if you lower your requirements, there's a LOT of good stuff out there.

Kenshi's pretty good, if you like brutal worlds with brutal UIs.  It has terrible graphics.

The Dark Souls series is hubworld (not open world) but it has depth, great story, pretty graphics.

Maybe you'd better serve yourself if you pinned down exactly what you want in a game.  I know of a LOT of games that most people haven't heard of.

And don't just say 'well I want open world and pretty graphics'  think about what you enjoy about open world and great graphics. What is it about those features that you enjoy?  Perhaps there are other features you haven't thought of that bring the same feelings.

Help me help you.

Offline Ferodaktyl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »
Gothic 3 is not such a bad game also, even if first 2 are  better imo, but graphically they lack compared to today's standards
 But while i liked Skyrim, i still like Morrowind more, and Fallout 4.... that was a big letdown for me. They are going more mainstream, because $$
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:21:24 AM by Ferodaktyl »

Offline Subhazard

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 09:34:21 AM »
I can't for the life of my get into the Gothic series.

I tried Gothic 1 and was immediately turned off by the control scheme. couldn't get over it.

Perhaps one day, but for now... ech.

Oh I also hear Dragon's Dogma is pretty good!

Offline SpadeDraco

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 04:20:40 PM »

Play it! Nao! Game deserves to be a classic.

Offline Shopkeeper

• Survivor
  • Boy, have I got a deal for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 06:47:05 PM »
I enjoyed Fallout 3 and thought it was relatively true to the series after picking up and completing Fallout 2 a week before release. Though I prefer Fallout: New Vegas to play through F3's content using a Tale of Two Wastelands nowadays. They shit the bed with Fallout 4 so bad and it pains me to say that. The voiced protagonist, dialogue wheel, oversaturation of radiant quests, removal of skills, and the entire game being designed around a hackneyed settlement system based on a subpar mod all came together to castrate any roleplaying potential the game had.

Patrician taste guys, I've played and enjoyed everything you've mentioned so far.

Though Dragon's Dogma can be an acquired taste for some. It's throughly an Eastern RPG and that means no gameplay handholding with what seems like a distinct lack of story development and some frankly robotic cutscenes involving your blankslate protagonist. Once you put together the overarching story though (don't spoil yourselves!) it really is worth the effort.

Oh, and make sure to pickup the Dark Arisen version. Its a re-release with all the game's orginial content along with a heaping truckload of new stuff. The PC version that was just ported even includes a graphical update.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:06:35 PM by Shopkeeper »

Offline Subhazard

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »
I enjoyed Fallout 3 and thought it was relatively true to the series after picking up and completing Fallout 2 a week before release. Though I prefer Fallout: New Vegas to play through F3's content using a Tale of Two Wastelands nowadays. They shit the bed with Fallout 4 so bad and it pains me to say that. The voiced protagonist, dialogue wheel, oversaturation of radiant quests, removal of skills, and the entire game being designed around a hackneyed settlement system based on a subpar mod all came together to castrate any roleplaying potential the game had.

Patrician taste guys, I've played and enjoyed everything you've mentioned so far.

Though Dragon's Dogma can be an acquired taste for some. It's throughly an Eastern RPG and that means no gameplay handholding with what seems like a distinct lack of story development and some frankly robotic cutscenes involving your blankslate protagonist. Once you put together the overarching story though (don't spoil yourselves!) it really is worth the effort.

Oh, and make sure to pickup the Dark Arisen version. Its a re-release with all the game's orginial content along with a heaping truckload of new stuff. The PC version that was just ported even includes a graphical update.

Ooo, Patrician Taste?  Never heard that phrase before. Sounds awesome, can you define it?

I'm actually not that interested in Dragon's Dogma because from what I hear it's mostly a grind fest.

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:12:11 PM »
Oblivion was a transitionary game,  There was quite a bit of effort to make new mechanics and innovation in oblivion.

skyrim was ... not a 'bad' game, but I was upset they called it skyrim instead of "Dragons Action Adventure Game"

Because everything in skyrim would have been better if it wasnt mutated into ES lore.  Skyrim would be better for it and TES would be too.

Bethesda let an unborn game series die when they named it TES V

Offline Shopkeeper

• Survivor
  • Boy, have I got a deal for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:04 PM »
Ooo, Patrician Taste?  Never heard that phrase before. Sounds awesome, can you define it?

Its half in jest, but it means you guys have good taste in video games in my opinion.

I'm actually not that interested in Dragon's Dogma because from what I hear it's mostly a grind fest.

Yeah, in true JRPG fashion it's a grind if you want to actually beat it. I wiped the game's orginial final boss with almost comical ease. It was an epic fight don't get me wrong, but I spec'd an Assassin and was so in the grove of things by that point I just rolled him. Then when I NG+'d to continue the story because things were actually getting interesting the bargain bin goblins outside the first town could literally two-shot me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:19:47 PM by Shopkeeper »

Offline Pthalocy

• Global Moderator
  • Survivor
  • Babyfaced forum Janitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »
I honestly get the feeling they're getting their arms wrenched around backward trying to cater to both the modding pc community and console users - the game's always been console-port-to-pc as a result and it hurts.

And that god-damned physics engine of theirs has got to go. It's tying their remaining arm behind their back - I'm sure it's all tangled up in something stupid like the cost of licensing an existing engine versus writing a new in-house one, or something they just don't wanna do, but I'll have to look that up before I talk about it further. I don't have any confirmation on that but I can't fathom any good reason to hang onto the damn creation engine this long.

Okay, I admit -  I like fallout 4. But I went in with the expectation of wanting to mod it, and help edit mods to make my own mutations. I went in excited about having a world with a half-decent character creator tool to run new OC's through (it's easier to make a traits list grow into a full character when you have a world to subject them to). I didn't get this game because I was hype about finding my damn baby. Still haven't done that. I'm enjoying the process of breaking the intended story as much as humanly possible and using it like a sandbox.
Beth has a game community known for modding. They're spending more time now trying to support their in-house mod site that allows mods on console, and I think in attempting to interact with their fanbase like that, they've used up focus they'd otherwise put toward pushing their own intended vision for the series.

The game's greatest value is none of the things it's being designed to cater to.

Feels very small company with too much demand placed on it imo.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:12:44 PM by Pthalocy »
Quote from: Rivet
We accept him, we accept him. One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
    • You can see my drawings here!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 11:40:28 PM »
Doom though. Doom.

Everything else, no idea. Just. Doom. So good.
I just wish snapmap would work like gzdoombuilder for the original doom.

Offline Subhazard

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »
Doom though. Doom.

Everything else, no idea. Just. Doom. So good.
I just wish snapmap would work like gzdoombuilder for the original doom.

Pay attention to the subject of the thread.

The subject was not "What are some good games released recently?"

Much like pouring any liquid into your car when it asks for 'liquid gasoline' but all you read was liquid, you are ruining the engine of this conversation.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
    • You can see my drawings here!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
Man. Doom was by Bethesda. Stop your witty banter, and check your facts.