Author Topic: Mansion Upgrade Project  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Nibelung44

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Mansion Upgrade Project
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
The 72 can be different you mean?

Offline egomassive

• NPC
    • View Profile
    • egomassive.com
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 04:03:10 PM »
The 72 can be different you mean?
The structures you get in a region can be different. Each region can have another 72 structures.

Offline Greiger

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »
Probably quite late but I've pretty thoroughly explored one of these new mansions and just wanted to give you my 2 cents.

First off:  It's awesome I would love these to be the new mansions.  Especially if we had some way to randomize the tiles to a point so seeing the first few rooms won't eventually give you a full mental map of the rest of the mansion.

Second: A bug/inconvenience you may not be able to do anything about.  On the 2nd floors some of these balconies can't really be determined when you don't know they are there.  I actually accidentally dropped down a floor above the central basketball court because the ascii for a floor in the dark is identical to the tile for open space in the dark.  After coming back there the railing makes it obvious in hindsight, but it might throw off some new folks.

And third, more of a suggestion: So far I've only located one mansion out in the woods, but if you haven't placed some in others already, a garage might be a good addition to some mansions.  They are supposedly the toys of the rich by the time of the cataclysm after all.

Awesome work mate :D
I have a mod!  It has new vehicles! Like 3 wheeled microcars, dune buggies, trailer parks, and tanker trucks!
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=13738.0
It may be, just slightly outdated :P

Offline egomassive

• NPC
    • View Profile
    • egomassive.com
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »
Thanks for the input Greiger.

Randomized mansions are the goal, but I've got to figure out how to get the matching upstairs on a randomly chosen ground floor. The relevant parts of the hard code are a difficult read.

I've no idea what could be done about open air and un-lit flooring appearing the same in ASCII. I play with tiles so it's good to hear about these sorts of issues.

I've considered making a garage piece. Because of the way mansions connect to roads, it would need to be a front-center piece of a near-to-town mansion. I never had a clear image of how to make that look appropriate for a rich estate, so I'm not going to worry about that until I get everything else working correctly.

Offline Nibelung44

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 12:19:23 PM »
Are your mansions supersede or additional to the vanilla ones? Because this can lead to 'too many mansions' 

Offline egomassive

• NPC
    • View Profile
    • egomassive.com
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »
Are your mansions supersede or additional to the vanilla ones? Because this can lead to 'too many mansions' 
Supersede, but only if you use the Tall Buildings mod. With out Tall Buildings you should still get the old hard-coded mansions. The probability of getting a mansion is preserved either way.

For the uninitiated, you can try out the upgraded mansions by downloading a zip file from the OP. Instructions are included.

Offline Nibelung44

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 05:58:14 AM »
Thanks!

There are so many things that can be done for buildings, like more diverse survivor basements etc.

Offline RedPine

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 10:33:14 AM »
Thanks!

There are so many things that can be done for buildings, like more diverse survivor basements etc.

Agreed, lots of buildings could use some variety if they were easier to code.  Turning mansions into modular JSON files sounds like a good start to do that.  Modular FEMA camps and the like would be a peace of cake compared to your Z level Mansion project.

Offline Zhilkin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »
I want to mainline these awesome overmaps - https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22072

Offline chronicpayne

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:35 AM »