Author Topic: Cataclysm: Brave New World (V2)  (Read 2571 times)

Offline bostltch

• NPC
  • Don't look at me! It was him!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Brave New World (V2)
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 07:54:07 AM »
Just some questions on the mechanics of this. Would you be playing as a leader of the group, or more a city management setup with you setting goals and such for the settlement, or possibly a little of both, or something totally different? How will turns be handled? Those two questions and anything else related to mechanics I suppose.

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »
I'll be submitting an application sometime soon!
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline Shopkeeper

• Survivor
  • Boy, have I got a deal for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »
Alright, I'm back. Sorry I haven't been active the last couple days but Thanksgiving took me to a family reunion in North Dakota and Verizon's cell coverage was unsurprisingly nonexistent. I'll edit this to parse out answers as I go over everything.

((I mean, c'mon. It's been two years. It's not like people would forget the basics that we've known for the last two hundred such as "remember to boil water", "wash your hands before trying to remove a bullet", and "don't shit in the mess hall".))

Yeah, when I was writing it up originally the distinction between setting it a year or two after vs. a couple decades hadn't quite solidified. So there's no need for the post-post apocalyptic savagery sanitation factor now. Probably replace it with something like 'Scientific Affinity' being about how properly learned your people are in the ways of pre-Cataclysm science.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 09:20:55 PM »
Man, it's been a while since I've seen this much activity over here. I'm kinda excited.

Name: The Eerie Aerodome

This place wasn't originally supposed to be a settlement, and that fact is obvious to any passerby. It was originally known as the Clarence Aerodome, serving flyers from all over the Eerie county and beyond. However, during the fall of civilization, the FEMA DMAT Medical Team NY-16 set up a triage camp in the first hangar to treat the townsfolk. They were originally being deployed to Cleveland, Ohio to assist in rescue operations, but only got as far as the state lines before they were told that the city had been completely evacuated. Their attempts to regain contact with New York's FEMA branch failed, along with every other government organization they could think of. They had been abandoned, and the chaos of the apocalypse had finally reached the sleepy town of Clarence, New York.

The team gathered what survivors they could and fled to the town's edge and took up shelter in the town's tiny municipal airport as they watched the center burn for many nights. After things quieted down, the more combat-oriented members of the group tried to scavenge what materials they could from the rubble. The team was lost, and took with them what weapons and experience they had, leaving only the doctors and townspeople to fend for themselves on the dirt airstrip.

Slowly, but surely, they rebuilt what they could. With scavenged food, scrapped together tools, and the hope of a brighter tomorrow, the fearful survivors grew into a community that they could call home.

Military/Defense: 4

The FEMA team had a small group of soldiers to assist in their operations, but they were lost early on, and with them their precious military hardware. The rural town did have a small hunting population, however, giving them the blessing of a small stock of single-shot rifles and break-action shotguns to defend and hunt with, along with homemade weapons such as spears or knives.

Many members of the settlement have never fired a gun before and none have had the need to kill another person. While there might be one or two crack shots in the township, it wouldn't take much to overwhelm them all through sheer force.

The town has little in the way of training, and only simple single or double-shot weapons to defend themselves with.

Infrastructure/Fortification: 5

The airstrip was barren at first, being only a small control tower and hangars surrounding large dirt field. Over time, however, the hangars have been converted into multiple-family homes, lightly reinforced against the elements. The largest hangar serves as the town's center, with plumbing and electricity to allow the townspeople to shower, escape the cold, and even come for medical treatment. The FEMA team has set up a small hospital with rudimentary monitoring equipment, beds, and even an operating table to perform surgery.

The airstrip had a few planes left when they had arrived, but they had seen years of neglect that left them unusable as flying machines. However, thanks to some clever engineering, some of the parts had been repurposed into wind turbines, generating a steady flow of energy to keep the lights on and the water pumps moving. On a windy day some townsfolk like to watch them spin feverishly on top of the former control tower, which is now used by the town as a watchtower. The colorful flags on top of the tower are raised and lowered in order to communicate certain messages to passerby, and a bullhorn kept under the desk is used to announce emergencies.

The airport's chain link fence has been replaced with a sturdier wall of wooden stakes that have been tied together using old scavenged rope. They come up to about eye level and are capable of only really keeping the wildlife away from their crops.

The town has running water and electricity in one hangar. A small perimeter fence of wooden stakes surrounds the settlement. They have a watchtower. The rest of the hangars are enough to keep the elements out and a roof above the people's heads, but nothing more.

Medicine/Scientific Knowledge: 9

Eerie's pride is their medical staff. Many of them are trained to deal with a wide array of possible injuries one can sustain after the end of the world. They are supplied with surgical tools, equipment, beds, bandages, and many pills and poultices to sooth and heal. There are few problems they can't fix, and that is mostly due to their lack of truly advanced medial equipment that would be available in a pre-war hospital. They have basic scanners and EKG machines, but to diagnose and treat more advanced diseases or surgeries, they would require more advanced technology first.

The small shacks and buildings may seem dirty and medieval on the surface, but inside the doctors of the settlement have made sure that they stay clean and relatively germ free. Water pumped into the main hangar allow the townspeople to shower regularly, ensuring that sickness is a rarity in Eerie.

Some of the townsfolk were teachers or scientists or engineers, and together they have been working to spread some knowledge of basic repairs and the advancement of science to the rest of the folk. Their knowledge is by no means cutting edge, but knowing how to build a house that will stand up to a stiff breeze goes a long way.

They have several doctors who are experienced and well-supplied. They are only held back by their lack of more advanced pre-Cataclysm medical technology. The townsfolk bring intermediate level knowledge of engineering and research.

Industry/Productivity: 4

Eerie is located nearby a lake and several streams, giving the town enough water to quench their thirsts as well as for use in other day-to-day tasks, but food sometimes runs thin as they rely heavily on fishing to feed their people. Being this far north means that the waters freeze in the winter, leaving them only what they had preserved or what they can forage in the snowy winter months. Small farming efforts have been started in and around the airfield, but the climate has been unforgiving and very few of the townsfolk have farming experience. Yields are small, but welcome none the less, and with each year they grow larger.

The town is fed largely by fishing, with some farming. They produce just enough to get through the year, sometimes not even managing that.

Culture/Recreation: 3

The Aerodome lacks a lot in terms of recreation, having been designed to house planes and not people. However, the small town spirit carried in with the evacuated townsfolk has stuck around. Small events such as horseshoe throwing contests and musical performances occur from time to time to break the monotony of survival. It's hardly what it was before the Cataclysm, more resembling the gatherings of medieval times.

Their entertainment is not very impressive, consisting largely of small festivals or gatherings. The people's morale is rather low, but they manage.

Eerie Airport here. All flights are delayed until further notice.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:55:52 AM by Hibou »

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
  • Waiting for the tide to get low
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 12:39:25 AM »
Alright, I'm back. Sorry I haven't been active the last couple days but Thanksgiving took me to a family reunion in North Dakota and Verizon's cell coverage was unsurprisingly nonexistent. I'll edit this to parse out answers as I go over everything.

((I mean, c'mon. It's been two years. It's not like people would forget the basics that we've known for the last two hundred such as "remember to boil water", "wash your hands before trying to remove a bullet", and "don't shit in the mess hall".))

Yeah, when I was writing it up originally the distinction between setting it a year or two after vs. a couple decades hadn't quite solidified. So there's no need for the post-post apocalyptic savagery sanitation factor now. Probably replace it with something like 'Scientific Affinity' being about how properly learned your people are in the ways of pre-Cataclysm science.

Welcome back!

Just my opinion, but I think having it more specific and geared towards medicine does make more sense. For one, technology even these days is generally specialized enough that not all knowledge carries over well (a CNC and an accounting app can both be programmed in Java, for example, but it doesn't mean that knowing how to work one will let you work the other), and for two, while it's hard to argue that someone who is trained as a soldier could also effectively act as a doctor, it's pretty easy to argue something like "hey, my guys are the remenants of a military. They should know how to work all these drones and maintain power armour and stuff". The only thing that struck me as off about how you have it set up now is the "walking around covered in crap" thing. I think even 2 decades later, people would still remember not to do that.

I should probably wait till you lay out some mechanics before making suggestions though.
Sometimes I think I'd have an easier time surviving Cataclysm IRL than in game.

Offline Mike64

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 01:18:47 AM »
Alright, I'm back. Sorry, I haven't been active the last couple days but Thanksgiving took me to a family reunion in North Dakota and Verizon's cell coverage was unsurprisingly nonexistent. I'll edit this to parse out answers as I go over everything.

((I mean, cmon. It's been two years. It's not like people would forget the basics that we've known for the last two hundred such as "remember to boil water", "wash your hands before trying to remove a bullet", and "don't shit in the mess hall".))

Yeah, when I was writing it up originally the distinction between setting it a year or two after vs. a couple decades hadn't quite solidified. So there's no need for the post-post-apocalyptic savagery sanitation factor now. Probably replace it with something like 'Scientific Affinity' being about how properly learned your people are in the ways of pre-Cataclysm science.

Welcome back!

Just my opinion, but I think having it more specific and geared towards medicine does make more sense. For one, technology even these days is generally specialized enough that not all knowledge carries over well (a CNC and an accounting app can both be programmed in Java, for example, but it doesn't mean that knowing how to work one will let you work the other), and for two, while it's hard to argue that someone who is trained as a soldier could also effectively act as a doctor, it's pretty easy to argue something like "hey, my guys are the remnants of a military. They should know how to work all these drones and maintain power armor and stuff". The only thing that struck me as off about how you have it set up now is the "walking around covered in crap" thing. I think even 2 decades later, people would still remember not to do that.

I should probably wait till you lay out some mechanics before making suggestions, though.

Should we make the Sanitation a separate thing or move it into with the Medical side of issues? Sanitation and Medical go hand n' hand in the apocalypse after all.

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 01:37:23 AM »
As perhaps one more suggestion without knowing the mechanics, perhaps the points could be increased, and the categories could be set up more like:

Millitary:
Training: (points here)
Equipment: (points here)

Production:
Skills: (points here)

Medical:
Knowledge: (points here)

etc.

Then, my faction, for example, would look kinda like:

Military:
Training (very high points)
Equipment (very high points)

Fortification:
Theoretical: (very high points)
Practical: (low points)

Production:
Skills: (low points)
Equipment: (very low points)

Medical:
Knowledge (low points)
Equipment (slightly below "average" points)

etc. etc.

It might make it easier to tailor things to match a backstory a little better and have a more concrete idea of the on paper strengths and weaknesses of each group.

Stuff like sanitation is still tricky to deal with though, for a variety of reasons - mostly because it doesn't rely on a particular category to be a non-issue. For example, a well trained medical staff will say to dig your toilet "here"  to prevent the spread of disease and other contamination. A well trained engineer will say to dig your toilet "here" because it will otherwise seep into your drinking water. A well trained soldier will say to dig your toilet "here" because that's what the manual tells him to do. Etc.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:48:44 AM by ApatheticExcuse »

Offline Mike64

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 02:26:00 AM »
Actually, I'm thinking that because people have already made their settlements with the 25p system we should keep it that way. And instead, have all the minute details up to the player. Just like you said, between the medical, engineering, and military examples, it should be up to you as for where you put your stuff. And for Shopkeep to determine (via maybe dice roll or something) if that was the proper choice or not.

It could open up roleplay opportunities and give you more customization on how you make your settlement and how it will run.

Again, just a suggestion.

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 02:45:40 AM »
Yeah, you might be right. I was thinking more specification would lead to an easier time in defining things, but it might just be needlessly complicated, and as you say, we've already got the 25 thing set up for everyone.

Could very well be a system in Shopkeeper's head already for everything else anyway.

Offline Fourty_two

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 10:30:43 AM »
The rangers.
A small camp with only 20-30 people, mainly hunters and survivalists.
They live mainly in the forest, only every once in the while entering the city for more rare supplies.

Military/Defense: 6

No real defensive structure, as they live in a camp. However being hunters, they are skilled with a rifle, and trees provide a decent amount of cover. Weapons are mainly composed of bows and spears, with some hunting rifles mixed in. Military grade firearms are no where to be found. There is a couple former soldiers, along with a small millta program to make sure recruits can shoot a rifle/bow, but it pretty much ends there. They are usually peaceful, but if you prove a easy target, they will attack.

Infrastructure/Fortification: 2

Little to none. Tents and small log cabins and an outhouse is the main features. They however do control a couple of houses off to the side of the city, mainly as a base of operation for scavenging of resources.

Medicine: 7

Several well trained doctors and herbalist are here, and there is a outhouse. However the lack of hospital equipment makes treatment of more serve wounds hard. They can have some herbal medicine that can be produced locally, however they cannot compete with the strength of proper medication.

Industry/Productivity: 4

Surprisingly not too bad for a such a small camp. They mainly produce bows,arrows,primitive tools,herbal medicine, and food. They often trade with more peaceful groups with items they have produced or scavenged.
They are decent craftsman,and have the capability to produce more advanced tools, but lack to resources to do so often.

Culture/Recreation: 6

They have couple of cards and broad games. They seems to have a decent amount of books, mainly informative, but some novels too.

So basically a small somewhat defended well-prepared camp of mainly hunters.

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
If anything can't go wrong, it will anyway.
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. -Murphy's Law

Offline DeclanFrost

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »
I can't wait for this whole thing to get started. I've never played a forum game before.
Ironically there are more pimps in garages than wrenches.

Offline Mike64

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »
I'm excited too. Really want to see how all the settlements interact and clash and ultimately see who is the victor in all of this.

Offline DeclanFrost

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
I'm excited too. Really want to see how all the settlements interact and clash and ultimately see who is the victor in all of this.
I'd like for there to be peace in the end, as my settlement has no military capability whatsoever xD
That's why I wanted a "supplier"-type settlement for myself.

Offline Shopkeeper

• Survivor
  • Boy, have I got a deal for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:49 AM »
Thanks for being patient guys, I work weekdays and take nightclasses so time is pretty scarce with Exams coming up to boot.

Before I forget; A Blitzkried of Butts, DeclanFrost, and Fourty_two you guys are all accepted. Though consider coming up with less generic names. ApatheticExcuse and Hibou you both have some really impressive stuff, almost intimidating honestly and more than accepted as well. Mike64, I like the idea behind yours and the attention to detail but I've got a couple hangups. Mainly involving the conspiracy behind a cache of military grade equipment from the Soviet Bloc on American soil, but it's crazy enough to get a pass if it doesn't bother anyone else to much.

Looking over the groups we've got so far, some are potentially dwarfed in size by others. In the case of the Dragoons this makes sense and they'd be expected to have a small if reasonable size compared to others. But the Luddites and Rangers read like they are both pretty small, a size/population bump to make them more like a village commune and survivalist community respectively wouldn't hurt I think.

Just some questions on the mechanics of this. Would you be playing as a leader of the group, or more a city management setup with you setting goals and such for the settlement, or possibly a little of both, or something totally different? How will turns be handled? Those two questions and anything else related to mechanics I suppose.

A combination of both seems like it'd be best, gives the most freedom to roleplay that way. Honestly how this thing should operate turnwise is still open to suggestion. Because I don't have any real applicable experience in running something like this.

The only thing that struck me as off about how you have it set up now is the "walking around covered in crap" thing. I think even 2 decades later, people would still remember not to do that.

The first thought when I sketched it up was to set things around the centennial mark to have the groups be legitimate new civilizations and cultures that arouse from the aftermath of the now surrounded in myth Cataclysm. So you could have things like stable post-threshold populations sprinkled throughout with almost feral raiders/tribals/barbarians to boot. And while a cool thought, I realized it wouldn't really work as a Cataclysm thing at that point. Scale it back to a decade an you'd have a majority number of people who still remember most of the their lifetime before the Cataclysm. But we have no real idea as to how things would be in general at that point, so I went with the year or two mark because that's not to hard to imagine. That stuff is leftover from the first draft primarily.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:15:00 AM by Shopkeeper »

Offline DeclanFrost

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 02:38:00 AM »
Right-o. Mine's actually the size of an entire state's farming population  (minus the cata-killed folks). Didn't state that clear enough. I was thinking we could establish faction relationships first, and maybe keep all the story stats and progression in the OP.
(Some factions could be aware of some of the others and completely oblivious to the rest. No clear hostilities/alliances yet, we can let that develop later on?)