Author Topic: Cataclysm: Brave New World (V2)  (Read 1885 times)

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
  • Waiting for the tide to get low
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Brave New World (V2)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 02:59:04 AM »
I have MBTs that, IRL, nothing anyone has brought can destroy (immobilize, yes, which in this setting is pretty similar). Considering no one mentioned an issue with that, I have no issues with a guy having a stockpile of Soviet stuff, personally. Pretty common with preppers on a budget anyway.

In terms of populations - it might be a good idea to have people establish what they are. I kinda figured the Dragoons were quite a bit BIGGER than most of the other groups - like, 80 members minimum, closer to 300 maximum. I can go into how I arrived at that number if it matters, but to put it simply, it's a reasonable approximation of how many people would be required to keep a few tanks, a half dozen LAVs, and two or three trucks operating and still somewhat practical to drag around. It was intended as a major strength (that's a lot of guns) and a major weakness (that's alot of people to feed). Reading over the stuff the others wrote, I figured this would likely be bigger than most of them except for long established communities or towns.

I don't mind adjusting and chopping things down (or leaving it too, if that's smaller than how others invisioned their populations), but that's why I suggest establishing some rough numbers.

In terms of how to run it - I'd maybe suggest breaking it up into "days" divided by "periods".

In period one, Group A could say "Today, I want to send x amount of dudes to look for something, and y amount to increase the defenses, while z amount tends the fields". You could then roll to see how each did, based on the manpower dedicated to the task and roughly on the skill of the group in that area, and throw in some events for really good or really bad rolls (as an example). I think a lot of that sort of stuff could be done fairly narratively.

It might also be good to establish how PvP will work, as well as PvE. I don't have a great suggestion for this that doesn't potentially hold up the game for people not involved in a fight, but the one thing that does come to mind would be to have a second phase after the actions above. So, for example:

Group B says "We want to dedicate our military forces to securing 25th Street and Smith Ave (which could be a particular zone or grid on a map)." Group C could say "We want to put all available manpower into also securing this, even if it means pulling people off other things."

Once all the other groups non-combat actions have been rolled for period one, these two get to go at it. You could roll for "initiative" or base it on military rating and other factors (one group is next to the location, the other has to cross part of a city). Whoever gets the first action could decide to attack or defend (i.e. write out their moves first or second). They'd lay out their plan, the other group would lay out a response, then based on stats, point allocation, dice rolls and how well thought out the plan is, damage could be dealt to "hitpoints". That would be end of period 2.

Assuming one side won, either through HP reduction or because the other side decides to withdraw, the two teams would spend period 3 deciding how to conclude their actions (i.e. how to secure their new territory in case of counterattack, or how to regroup after defeat, or simply going home to spread the bad news). If the fight is not conclusive, they do not partake in period 3, and have nothing else to do for the day.

For everyone else, period 3 would be spent dealing with whatever the results of period 1 were - if trying to dam a river causes flooding, then they could evacuate, or try to stem the flow, or whatever. This would really just be pretty much the same thing as period 1 mechanically, but gives everyone a chance to always have something to do by not making their actions rely on interacting with the other PCs or being only combat related.

The day would then end, starting all over.

It's a complicated system, maybe, but there's a few advantages - it allows everyone to play "simultaneously", and not have to wait for others to decide what they want to do, and while kind of slow paced, might work ok on a forum (where pacing is hard to set). It also stops military factions from hyper-aggressively stomping everyone into the dirt with a simple dice roll, as there's twice as much time allowed for actions and reactions (running away, making peace, setting a trap, whatever).

Obviously, exceptions to the structure would be made where logical - if PC faction A is talking to PC faction B, each conversational post shouldn't really count as a whole period. Just a suggestion. I don't really care how we do it to be honest and have run exactly one RP in my life, which ended in failure (because I had too many mechanics :) ).

The other suggestion I'd have in terms of mechanics would be to use grid maps. There's some advantages there too, but more than anything, I just really like maps. As I said before, I'd be happy to make some if you need a hand, and once a location/general game scaling is decided on.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:02:18 AM by ApatheticExcuse »
Sometimes I think I'd have an easier time surviving Cataclysm IRL than in game.

Offline bostltch

• Zombie Food
  • Don't look at me! It was him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 05:17:01 AM »
Well I don't know how many people you wanted for this but I'll throw mine in either way!

Name: The kingdom of Frostbride

Before the cataclysm, the people of Frostbride were ordinary people. They woke up in the morning, went to work, visited friends and families, stressed about tv shows, and worked on their hobbies. These people however, all had the same hobby. Every weekend these worriers put on their armor and grabbed their weapons to fight in epic battles to the death! Yes, it was gruesome and taxing on the mind, but that's why not every one is cut out to be a LARPer.

They have not retrogressed back to medieval life entirely, more that they adapted their modern lives to fit better with the past. They still speak modern English and they know all the modern technology, they just choose not to use it preferring life without electricity and using swords and bows rather than guns.

Leader: King Andrew and his Queen Julia

Population: 176 (subject to change depending on what is set for general pop amounts)

Government style: the Feudal system

Military/Defense: 5
These were not just some fantasy loving geeks, no no, many of the Warriors in the kingdom dedicated parts of their previous lives to practicing at HEMA clubs honing their skills in swordsmanship and many of the archers practiced their craft daily to be the best they could. Of course at the beginning it was difficult for them to actually lethally attack real targets was difficult but as time went on they became used to doing what was necessary. There is no pretending however that against a trained force fully equipped with modern weapons, they'd take heavy losses, at least from a distance that is, close quarters is where we dominate.

Infrastructure/Fortification: 3
The original camp grounds they gathered at every weekend was their kingdom for quite some time but after one particularly nasty storm, the little tents and feeble structures were proven to be inadequate. Instead they moved into the nearby town taking over the cathedral as their new castle and the area around it as their new village. The cathedral itself provides great defense for those inside it, the people who live around it however are protected only by the houses and store walls of the buildings they claimed as theirs leaving them mostly vulnerable to any outside forces that would want to ambush and raid the kingdom.

Medicine/Sanitation: 3
They know not to dive into surgery on top of a dirty butcher's table and that humors don't really exist but there's only so much you can do when the only medical supplies you have are medicinal plants and herbs, they do their best and get by but it only goes so far.

Industry/Productivity: 6
Food isn't really a problem, farming is basically the only thing most medieval people had going for them. Most people have small personal farms with a few owning some chickens and pigs and some even have a dairy cow in their yards and the nearby sports field was repurposed as a large farm as well. For things other than food, well as it turns out, the industrial revolution was pretty important for the productivity of industry. Handmade tools, clothes, furniture, weapons,  and everything else may give it more character and some may even say it's better quality, but it takes drastically longer than by machine.

Culture/Recreation: 8
There is really no problem with morale, people socialize, play games, have parties, and are generally busy enough to keep from getting too bored without getting over worked.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:34:45 AM by bostltch »

Offline Mike64

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 06:08:57 AM »
Before I forget; A Blitzkrieg of Butts, DeclanFrost, and Fourty_two you guys are all accepted. Though consider coming up with less generic names. ApatheticExcuse and Hibou you both have some really impressive stuff, almost intimidating honestly and more than accepted as well. Mike64, I like the idea behind yours and the attention to detail but I've got a couple hangups. Mainly involving the conspiracy behind a cache of military-grade equipment from the Soviet Bloc on American soil, but it's crazy enough to get a pass if it doesn't bother anyone else too much.
If there is anything you want me to edit or change i'll be glad to do so. Anything to make it more fair or reasonable in roleplay and mechanic terms. Just tell my and i'll edit my origional post!

Offline Mike64

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 06:12:34 AM »
Also Bostltch. I really like your faction.

I do HEMA so it kinda reminds me of some of my friends. On how they'll take a Longsword instead of an AK-47 in any scenario.

Super cool man!

Offline Fourty_two

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »
I would like to edit my faction a bit, just turn medicine into something more science related. The idea of my faction is a really small group of highly-skilled outdoors men.
As for the faction name I rename it into, the Green Scavengers, reflecting their preference of living in the woods, yet still relying on scavenging stuff from the city.

Edit: A small amount of history.

I assume the game is set in the same timeline as the game is, 2050's cold war 2.

Shortly after the cataclysm, A rag-tag group of survivors from a small town banded up and decided that it's for the best to leave civilization and head into the forest, the original leader of the group was a survival instructor (A rather profitable job due to the cold war and the constant threat of atomic attack) who taught the rest of the group valuable skills. He was later killed when out scavenging. Chaos endured, and for a short while leadership was bounced around, for a short while the group even became bandits. However thing calmed down after a while and they revert to their old life style. Group later slowly grew, they were somewhat friendly, but was only willing to accept people in good shape or had certain skills. They had no name until another group of survivor, composed of former government officials, traded with them and dubbed them the "Green scavenger" In the trade logs they had.

I also like to change my stats around, and have a more industrial approach.

Military/Defense: 6 (Same)

Infrastructure/Fortification: 4 (+2 from previous)

They now have more cabins and a workshop. Workshop mainly focus on gunpowder production, gun fixing, and simple metal tools. Production of metal items is still low through.  Simple plumbing for a better quality of life. Some water pumps too. Plenty of building are still being built.

Medicine: 6 (-1 from previous)

They have a good doctor, and some herbal medicine. They still relies on medicine from the city.

Industry/Productivity: 4 (Same)

Industry is low due too lack of equipment for any mass production.

Culture/Recreation: 5  (-1 from previous)

Cards, chess, books.

They still live mostly in the forest.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:26:11 PM by Fourty_two »
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
If anything can't go wrong, it will anyway.
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. -Murphy's Law

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »
I was thinking we could establish faction relationships first, and maybe keep all the story stats and progression in the OP.
(Some factions could be aware of some of the others and completely oblivious to the rest. No clear hostilities/alliances yet, we can let that develop later on?)

I think both those things are good ideas. A little copy and paste and some spoilers would help everyone keep stuff straight. Also good to establish who is aware of who, methinks.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »
I was thinking we could establish faction relationships first, and maybe keep all the story stats and progression in the OP.
(Some factions could be aware of some of the others and completely oblivious to the rest. No clear hostilities/alliances yet, we can let that develop later on?)

I like that idea, Declan. It's good to give players the ability to interact with eachother in character right off the bat because at the start, momentum is rather low and letting the factions grind against eachother helps get the RP moving. (What 'grinding' actually means is up to player interpretation. Could be trading, could be conflict, just something to create impact and drama.)

Offline DeclanFrost

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 09:30:47 PM »
I expect my defenseless farmers will be annexed as a production center by a military faction in the first few turns :P
Ironically there are more pimps in garages than wrenches.

Offline bostltch

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 12:16:59 AM »
Also Bostltch. I really like your faction.

I do HEMA so it kinda reminds me of some of my friends. On how they'll take a Longsword instead of an AK-47 in any scenario.

Super cool man!

Thanks! I've always thought HEMA was really interesting and always wished I could get into it but there's no clubs nearby and no one else I know is interested in doing it with me so oh well ;-; this seemed like a fun way to play so I went with it

I expect my defenseless farmers will be annexed as a production center by a military faction in the first few turns :P

Yeah this however seems like it would be a problem, my knights in shining armor would have little means of stopping a well armed cyber force nuking me from a state away, though I guess that just makes having strong connections all the more useful...

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 12:29:51 AM »

Yeah this however seems like it would be a problem, my knights in shining armor would have little means of stopping a well armed cyber force nuking me from a state away, though I guess that just makes having strong connections all the more useful...

As a large and mighty modern force, I'd like to state I have no intention of trying to wreck the game for you or other PC groups through force of arms. "Make interesting" (read into that how you want), maybe. But not annex or squash (or, most importantly, eliminate. I'd assume that the game allows for subjugated groups to find a way to rise up anyway, if the need be).

Besides, I don't think any faction's survivability goes up, no matter how well armed, if everyone bands against them, and it's much easier to maintain order in a subject population a friendly group of survivors when you explicitly haven't annexed them. :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:32:46 AM by ApatheticExcuse »

Offline DeclanFrost

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 02:10:43 AM »
Phew! Well, praise the good Lord fer that, feller! I dun shit my overalls when I heard there was a buncha Canadians in shiny metal suits runnin around in my backyard!
(I live in the south, almost have the accent down pat)
Ironically there are more pimps in garages than wrenches.

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 02:27:14 AM »
It translates pretty well to written media XD.

Offline bostltch

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 03:00:28 AM »
Hmm seems more hillbilly than general southerner to me... Growing up being made fun of my New England accent buy a bunch of southerners made me able to know the differences very well...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:03:00 AM by bostltch »

Offline Mike64

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 04:14:10 AM »
All this talk of annexation is making me worried. My survivors might be in probably the safest (if you can call it that) place at the moment and I'm super worried about how things'll go about. I'm just hoping that we can all get along!

Just uhh... Are you guys okay with mutants? I got a lot of them so...

Offline bostltch

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 04:49:31 AM »
All this talk of annexation is making me worried. My survivors might be in probably the safest (if you can call it that) place at the moment and I'm super worried about how things'll go about. I'm just hoping that we can all get along!

Just uhh... Are you guys okay with mutants? I got a lot of them so...

Hmm for me, it depends on how much my people are influenced by medieval times... They tended to have issues with things that were different or supernatural back then... We shall see. But it does seem like you have a lot, a lot of people in general, how big exactly is Quiet mountain population wise? I'm just curious to see how you envision them stacking up to the other settlements