Author Topic: The End (A suggestion game)  (Read 655 times)

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
  • Waiting for the tide to get low
    • View Profile
The End (A suggestion game)
« on: December 03, 2016, 03:31:03 AM »
March 7th, 2022. That was the day that the world as we know it ended.

There had been plenty of build up - it was one of those things everyone saw coming, but no one actually expected to have happen. While mankind had been teetering on the edge of destruction ever since harnessing the destructive force of the atom, they'd always managed to tip back away from the brink when it really came down to it.

Not so this time around. Somewhere, in the upper echelons of the world's power structure, someone made a call, THE call. ICBMs were launched, devastating their targets. This first strike was met with a second strike, then a third, and continued until there was simply no one left to retaliate. Who struck first matters very little, as does the reason for it. When the dust settled, what really mattered was that the majority of the world's population, along with any semblance of civilization, or order, was gone.

But you, you get to look on the bright side. A side effect of the constant threat of global destruction was that some people, often derided as paranoid by their opponents, planned ahead. In your case, it was your government, and you, along with several thousand other skilled individuals, were assigned a place in one of the nation's many cryogenic shelters - at the first sign of a catastrophic event, you and your comrades would be herded inside, in order to sleep through the crisis and many years beyond it. Eventually, the bunker would reopen, and you would all spill forth, well equipped and ready to face this brave new world. You would rebuild, and hopefully, you would avoid the pitfalls which had so nearly caused the extinction of the human race.

That was the plan, anyway.

Instead, you wake up to alarms, and cries of terror. Something has gone wrong in the bunker, and while you have no idea how long you've slept, it's obvious that it's opening early. You rush towards the exit, blinking as the harsh sunlight hits your eyes. You try to shake off the after effects of cryosleep, remember where exactly you are, and take count of your fellow survivors.

This will be a pretty simple suggestion game. I've never run one of these before, but they look fun. So bear with me.

The concept is this - the players make suggestions as to the next course of action, or vote on other suggestions that they like. I then roll some dice, and tell you how that went. The more detailed the suggestion, the better - it's my job to try to kill you guys, and it's your job to think ahead and prevent that. In the event of no one agreeing to anyone else's suggestion, I'll either combine them, or go with the most well thought out.

This game is firmly based in quasi-reality, so anything that works IRL will work here, as long as the dice agree.

The first thing you should do is decide where your bunker was. Rather than lay out specifics for all the potential locations, I'll wait till some have been suggested, then give a rundown on what you can expect there in terms of conditions, resources, and other survivors.

You should also decide who made it out of the bunker. While the original compliment was a couple thousand people, most will not have woken up or evacuated successfully before the disaster. Generally, you'll have a couple classes of people at your disposal:

Scientists - good with electronics, advanced knowledge, that kind of stuff.
Military - responsible for defense
Workers - labourers and the like
Civilians - anyone else.

You can specialize all you want beyond this (for example, taking an agricultural engineer is more helpful to farming than taking just a worker), or you can leave it general. Please express the survivor ratios as a percentage, just to make it easy on me.

To answer one question that might come to mind - this isn't a Cata based game, just a general end of the world game.

Think that sums it up. If you have other questions about how things work, the setting, or anything else, please ask.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:36:39 AM by ApatheticExcuse »
Sometimes I think I'd have an easier time surviving Cataclysm IRL than in game.

Offline A Blitzkried of Butts

• Survivor
  • It's Blitzkrieg, not Blitzkried
    • View Profile
Re: The End (A suggestion game)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
(Just posting what I had on the other one)

I would suggest we start off the cost of Deluth, MN (Favorite place in all of MN) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duluth,_Minnesota
It is a major port on lake superior. That also means lost of contraband coming in AKA drugs, stolen goods, weapons, people even (Like, its a serious problem.) No other large cities for miles. The bunker would be on the lake bed only a few miles off the shore. There is an escape submarine if there is a critical failure. Could house 2000, About 150 made it out. Failure was a hull breach, so no returning. Radiation is not very much because it's in the middle of nowhere.

PEEPS
30 Marines armed with L129A1s with 20 mags each.
10 Marine biologists
10 Crewmen (For the sub)
30 Workers (Repair, Cleaning, ect)
20 Naval Officers armed with FN F2000s with 10 mags each
50 Civilians
Quote from: TheFlame52
Granades are Russian roulette. One chamber has money, one has candy, two have blanks, one has rat-shot, and the last one has a bullet. You just got the bullet.
Quote from: pisskop
Z is the plane that jumps off the paper and into your face/desk
Full of sigs

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 04:40:10 AM »
((We'll run with that. You have a lot of guns AND alot of people, so I took away some guns. Otherwise, looks good.))

After some time, your head clears, and you realize you're laying on the deck of one of the bunker's five evacuation subs. For a moment, you feel a twinge of panic, as you remember why you are there, and that most people forecast heavy radiation in the area as the air currents above the great lakes drug in fallout from the midwest. You suppose you haven't been outside long enough to know whether or not the invisible killer is lurking around.

Many other survivors have stretched out on the deck near you, and you can tell from the sounds emanating from several open hatches that there are many alive inside the ship as well. Having had several minutes to recover from the abrupt awakening, you move about the ship, talking to people and taking stock.

A personnel count reveals a good number of civilians and your military detachment made it off, complimented by a contingent of more specialized works. You jot down a quick list, which looks like so:

[quote = List Of Survivors]
- 30 Marines
- 10 Marine biologists
- 10 Crewmen (For the sub)
- 30 Workers (Repair, Cleaning, ect)
- 20 Naval Officers
- 50 Civilians
[/quote]

Some of those responsible for dragging you aboard the ship inform you that it's been several hours, and no one else has surfaced. Of your original population of 2200, it looks like these 150 souls are now all you've got. Some relief comes from talking to one of the naval officers, who informs you  that whatever disaster befell the bunker waited 152 years to do so. While this is slightly less than half the time you were supposed to remain locked away, it also means that the Lake is no longer especially hot with radiation, something which your geiger counter confirms. It does, however, register a small spike when pointed towards either the north or south shorelines.

You also take a quick stock of supplies:

[quote = Supply Inventory]

- Food (Three weeks at normal consumption)
- Fuel (In sub tanks, enough to get you across the lake at least once)
- SCUBA gear (five full suits, each with several hours of air)
- SCBA gear (two systems, each with several hours of air)
- NBC protection (five full suits)
- Laptop computer (military grade, currently configured to interact with the sub and bunker)
- Small arms (approximately 25 rifles, 30 side arms)
- Ammunition (roughly 100 rounds for each of the above)
- Geiger counters (2)
- Water pump and purifier (1, capable of interfacing with several different types of power source)

[/quote]

While the others stow this equipment into more permanent homes, you spend some time going over the sub's specifications. It's pretty unremarkable, designed simply to take people from a surface docking station located above the bunker ( and now conspicuously absent) to the bunker proper. It is unarmed, very slow, and not particularly well suited to actually traveling under the water, but is rather large, being originally designed to hold somewhere around 600 people. With your current crew compliment, even factoring in your supplies, you have plenty of leg room, at least.

The bunker specs itself aren't something you see as worth reviewing. No one seems certain what caused the evacuation to kick in, but the doors were designed to seal behind you after leaving. While it contains manufacturing, hydroponic, and other equipment that could make your survival very easy, actually gaining access to it is likely to border on the impossible.

Finally,  when night begins to fall, your inventorying finishes up, and you can focus on the your future plans. Should those involve finding a new home for yourselves, several options would seem to present themselves:

- To your south is the American shore, including Minnesota, Wisonsin, and Michigan. Being home to many large shipping ports, as well as several major manfacturing centers, it is likely they will have been hit fairly hard in the nuclear exchange. Assuming they are still there, the Apostle Islands are also in this direction.

You could reach the shore in about a day and a half.

- To your north is Canada, namely the province of Ontario. While it would seem like a less likely target, a huge portion of Canada's population is clustered in this area. It is also likely to have been hit fairly hard. You could reach the shore in about a day.

- To the north-east, and closest to you, is Isle Royal, the largest island in the lake. You don't know much about it or what to expect there. You could get there in a few hours travel.

- To the west are several other smaller islands you know little about, being on the Canadian side of things, as well as theoretical access to the rest of the Great Lakes via the Soo Locks. You could get there in two days travel.

((I think Blitz knows how this stuff works "turn-wise", but incase anyone else doesn't and is considering making a suggestion:

There aren't really any specific turn lengths in this game. Someone could suggest that the survivors spend a day sailing to Point A, and decide what to do once there, wheras someone else could suggest sailing to point A, then lay out how they think the survivors should spend the next week (or month, or whatever) while there.

It's pretty mechanically simple, in so far as these things go).

Offline bostltch

• NPC
  • Don't look at me! It was him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 04:06:00 AM »
I would check out Madeline island, the biggest of the apostle islands, being that the small town that was on it would fit the population we have now quite well and is so small it shouldn't even have registered at all as a place to attack, though I suppose it could have gotten hit by something targeting Wiconson proper. I'd say just check it out first before any plans to settle though.  (Is this what is expected? Is more detail needed or what?)

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 04:35:37 AM »
((Nope, that's just fine! I'll wait a bit longer to see if anyone else weighs in, then respond.))

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 08:03:34 AM »
I'll go ahead and support what Bos said. Little village on an island sounds pretty alright to me. Some food, some water, maybe some scavenged equipment, and we'll be right as rain to foray a little farther soon enough, with the village as our base of operations.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
((Alright, two for is good enough for me for now. You guys rolled 17 for your general "what do we know about this place" roll, which is really good - it means that not only do you know what Bos mentioned, but a few other things. If you have IRL knowledge beyond what I tell the "PC", then you're completely allowed to use that too. IRL knowledge is always king.))

You convene a meeting with the heads of each department, in order to plan your next course of action. Unsurprisingly, the computer bank on board the submarine can't seem to interface with the bunker systems, apparently put out of commission by whatever triggered the wake up call, nor with any of the satellite networks.

Consulting what charts still remain on the sub from the hasty evacuation 150 years ago, you determine that the Apostle Islands would potentially make a good launching point for forays in-land - fairly secure, large enough to house your current population, and with a fair bit of fallout-slowing forested land between them and the most likely candidates to have caught a bomb.

There is a small debate over which island, specifically, but it is resolved when one of the civilians comes forward and announces that decades before the apocalypse, he was the owner of a summer home on Madeline Island, the largest and only continually inhabited island in the chain. While hardly an expert, he recalls both a ferry dock and a marina that are likely large enough to allow the sub to land, as well as several other potentially interesting features such as an airport, and a freshwater reservoir and lagoon. Though he isn't certain, he also recalls there being some discussion of making the island energy independent, though the details escape him.

The island itself is only 2.5 miles off the shore of Wisconsin, and would likely allow for easy observation and travel to the mainland.

You decide that this is likely the best bet for your group, and a course is set. The sub is *painfully* slow, and you're reminded again that it was really designed more to simply go up and down then to move around, but it seems to have no objections to having been drafted as a ferry.

Night falls long before you can even see the chain on the horizon, but the moon is fortuitously bright, and eventually the silvery shapes of the islands materialize. As you peer at them through some binoculars from the sub's command tower, you realize for the first time how truely dark things would be without the moonlight - the coast is nothing but a long, snaking line of black mirrored against the lake.

The sub finally rounds the chain, and the course is adjusted for Madeline. You pass between the island and a long sandbar to the west just in time for the sun to reappear again. In the morning haze, the world at first glance looks just as deserted as it did previously, but one of the naval officers on lookout nudges you, pointing to a smudge on the skyline. Smoke, rising slowly from somewhere inland opposite Madeline Island's south shoreline. Apparently others did survive.

As you reach your destination, the air is heavy with tension. When the docking facilities do finally come into view, there is a collective slight of disappointment from everyone above deck. The commercial ferry dock is mostly gone, sunken beneath the waves, and the marina has been heavily weathered and only slightly less inundated. The shoreline itself looks completely abandoned, and it would appear the water in the lake has risen a few feet over the years - it now laps hungrily at the bases of the buildings closest to the beach. No smoke or other sign of life presents itself from the island, and it would seem the whole place has been barren of life for at least several decades.

The most immediate concern, however, really is the docking facilities. While it's possible either could be repaired with enough effort, neither is suitable for a proper landing at the moment. If you are going to explore the island beyond looking at it from afar, it would seem you might have to beach the ship, or come up with some other way of landing some men.

While you are considering this, one of the ship's officers reminds you that you do not have infinite fuel, and will have to act decisively sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:27:55 PM by ApatheticExcuse »

Offline bostltch

• NPC
  • Don't look at me! It was him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:42:07 AM »
I imagine that those marines are pretty strong swimmers, there is scuba gear if it was really necessary. Unless I'm really underestimating the distance that the sub is from the island, I suggest sending in a few of them out just to quickly check if it's eligible to work as a starting base, so if it needs a little repair or total rebuilding. If its in okay condition, then go ahead and beach the sub and start unloading into the village.

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 04:04:02 AM »
I was gonna go straight in on the assumption that it'd probably be alright, but now that Bos points it out, it'd probably be smartest to make sure whatever remains of the village is suitable for habitation. I'll go ahead and support his suggestion. Hopefully the navy boys and girls can be quick about it, fuel's a-wastin'.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"