Author Topic: You in character creation.  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
Re: You in character creation.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
One isn't the best candidate to judge onself objectively.
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline SpadeDraco

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
One isn't the best candidate to judge onself objectively.

I get that. My fascination is more with the fact that people are totally cool with admitting that they're puny\fat\socially inept\clumsy\sociopathic\etc. But intelligence is this sacrosanct thing that harms people's pride.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
    • You can see my drawings here!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
To be honest, if you take the averagest person of around here, yeah, I would indeed consider myself smarter than that. But what I do mostly is drawing, so to perception it goes, even if I'm taking the word quite literally.

And well, considering we are talking about puny\fat\socially inept\clumsy\sociopathic\etc people, you always make up with something, even if you really believe it or not. Just a personal pride, I guess. Even more for those people, and in the social outcast one it falls squarely in the archetype, in my opinion. So yeah. Maybe outside the internet the intelligence thing would vary a lot more.

Thinking about it though, what one knows is all that exists for oneself, so if you don't know that there is more than what you know, you will naturally say you are intelligent, because well, you know all that exists. Man, what a weird topic, huh?

Offline KliPeH

• Survivor
  • Master of Savescumming
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
That's about all there is to it. Doubt I would survive the Cataclysm. On a side note, I've seen this topic come up countless times on the forums of other major RPG's and it never fails to amaze me that 99% of people seem to think they have an "above average" INT score. Its almost like a "dick size" stat. People are willing to admit all of their physical and emotional weaknesses, but the idea that they're not actually that much smarter than other people is completely unpalatable to most. 

Don't take this personally. It's just something I've observed in literally every "Stat Yourself" topic that I've ever participated in.

Serious respect to Mad Jackal and KliPeH for being real about it.

It just so happens that some people have enough self awareness to realize they're still dumb kids regardless of their legally adult age. All the temporary phases in that stage of life included ("I watch gore videos on LiveLeak which makes me a psychopath", "I maintain basic personal hygiene and follow the latest fashion dress code, which makes me pretty" etc). If they were to look at their peers, but really take a good look at them and not just at their daily social routine and the masks these people wear, they'd realize they were really nothing that special themselves. People aren't good at judging themselves, you're right. Some are naive enough to say things like this:

To be honest, if you take the averagest person of around here, yeah, I would indeed consider myself smarter than that.

That's typical special snowflake behavior and they'll grow out of it eventually. You're statistically not likely to be more intelligent than your peers; sure, put an extra point in STR if you work out, or an extra point in DEX if you're athletic, but this 15 INT you boast is more likely than not wrong. Then again, we don't have the means to compare these arbitrary numbers to real life stats, right? Let people fan their own ego, then. If 8/8/8/8 truly is the average, I wouldn't rate myself much higher or much lower than that.

Offline Greiger

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »
I unno.  I went with 8 and then did +1 for finishing college.   Gotta be worth something.
I have a mod!  It has new vehicles! Like 3 wheeled microcars, dune buggies, trailer parks, and tanker trucks!
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=13738.0
It may be, just slightly outdated :P

Offline Valpo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »
I seen a statistic that says the average iq on the planet would be 91. So if 8 is average then that is your iq score.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
Sorry man, but i do consider myself better than average. If apparently you people think that being more intelligent makes you say that you are dumber, well, then you do you, but I won't say I'm lower than what I am.

Statistics are useless if you are always going to say that because it's more likely for me to be 8-8-8-8, I have to be that. That's dumb.

But for now go and think you are more intelligent because you say you are less intelligent. Some people's egos work weird, I guess.

Btw, you are confused, I'm Stop, not Blitzkrieg.

Offline Valpo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »

Statistics are useless if you are always going to say that because it's more likely for me to be 8-8-8-8, I have to be that. That's dumb.

I was not trying to say that you are average because its more likely. i was saying that i think that the games 8 is equivalent to rl iq of 91 because both are average.

Offline SpadeDraco

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 07:32:01 PM »
I seen a statistic that says the average iq on the planet would be 91. So if 8 is average then that is your iq score.

91-101 is considered average. But, IQ is a terrible metric for measuring intelligence anyway. Every major institution that's ever done research into the matter has basically declared it a joke.

That's typical special snowflake behavior and they'll grow out of it eventually.

Don't resort to namecalling. That's how shit-storms get started. For all we know StopSignal may actually have above average intelligence and Blitzkrieg may actually be Stephen Hawking. I wasn't trying to insinuate that anyone specific was less smart than they think they are, just that I've noticed a trend of people inflating it and it was refreshing to see some people admitting the weakness that I never see anyone admit. Implying that everyone who thinks that they're intelligent actually isn't is kind of non-sensical. Something being average implies that there are significant numbers of people, both ABOVE and BELOW the statistic.

Hence the reason that my point of contention was "It's always fascinated me how 99% of people think that they're above average." and not "Man all these people who say they that they're smart are overestimating themselves." Because it is statistically likely that some of the people who say that they are above average INT actually are. But it's highly unlikely (still possible though)  that ALL of the people who say that they are above average INT are.

Offline Valpo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »
Stupid people think that they are smart. That is how more people refer to themselves as above average. When the below average and above do it. Just those that are also just smart enough to realize their own shortcomings and do at the same time posses enough backbone to admit it will say that they are just average.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »
It's mostly about egos i guess. And don't worry Valpo, i wasn't replying to your argument about averageness, i was actually replying to Klipeh's at the last part of his post, though you could take it as more or less the same. Sorry that i didn't specify!

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
my iq is 137.  or was.

i placed into the 98th percentile in america for sats.
my satii bio score was 750 of 800.
my asfav was 97 and i passed the nuke test easily.

if 8-12 is humie norm than im a 12.5.
7-11 is also likely as an intended average*

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
indignation asudey, i dont consider cdda skills linear or polar.

3 is an able bodied worker/assistant
5 is a slightly above average practitioner
8 to 9 is approaching a great person

10 is max.  Einstein isnt an auto10

Offline Noctifer

• Survivor
  • Evening Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 01:28:00 AM »
I have here all the salt I need in order to make my jerky, ;p

Noctifer drops 2x4 in the flame (lit).
May mother Venus guide us all!

...Noctifer's incredibly loot bloated Survivor Emcampments™...

Offline A Blitzkried of Butts

• Survivor
  • <i>kek</i>
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 02:46:31 AM »
I seem to have given myself a little to much credit. I have changed my post to 13 instead of 15 going on the idea that one point of intelligence = 10 iq. If not, I dont really know. :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:48:44 AM by A Blitzkried of Butts »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Granades are Russian roulette. One chamber has money, one has candy, two have blanks, one has rat-shot, and the last one has a bullet. You just got the bullet.
Quote from: pisskop
Z is the plane that jumps off the paper and into your face/desk
Full of sigs