Author Topic: The Triffids' Intelligence?  (Read 795 times)

Offline CommanderXor

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
The Triffids' Intelligence?
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
In another thread it was mentioned that the Triffids had enough intelligence to be reasoned with and possibly worked with. However, I see no reference to this in lore and the only thing I was able to scrounge form the net is that in a book they showed 'intelligence' by going for unprotected bits.

How intelligent are they exactly? How can they be reasoned/negotiated with? Will this be implemented in the game at all? What lore do they have? So many questions and so little lore on them! Aaaaaaaah.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:16:16 AM by CommanderXor »

Offline Shopkeeper

• Survivor
  • Boy, have I got a deal for you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Triffids' Intelligence?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
I remember reading a piece of lore squirreled away somewhere on the forums here that outlined how the triffid Hearts are the only truly intelligent members of their species. But I'm beating my head aganist a wall trying to find it now.

Basically all lesser forms of triffid are simple drones or other plantoids that have been grown like tools specifically to serve their purpose and are slaved to a psychic hivemind projected by the Heart. The Hearts themselves are each unique individuals amoung one another and have developed an interdimensonal civilization based on the aforementioned psychic communication with somekind of republican government based on their homeworld. The triffid Hearts we meet on Earth are effectively first generation pioneers and colonists sent in through portals from their territory to make land grabs.

Of course none of this is implemented in game and there'd really be no way for Joe-random Survivor to discover it unless somebody committed to making a questline for Plant mutants to try and communicate.

Offline CommanderXor

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 02:12:43 AM »
Snip.
Will it be possible in the future though or will it just remain a 'what if' scenario?
And...would it actually be possible to talk to one? Via normal means or mutations in this case.
I assume their goals are to expand, meaning that it would be similar to the Marlos line and basically siding to help with their goals rather then meeting a compromise?

Offline Kadian

• Survivor
  • ...the shadows cutting deeper...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:23:19 AM »
A Marloss line for the triffids probably won't be happening, if you consider how different fungus and triffids are.

You have to consider, the Fungus has to use local wildlife (iincluding survivors) in order to expand itself over a wide area. We are basically it's carrier. It can certainly do something similar on it's own by making fungoids and using spires, but it's a lot slower than just infecting a few animals and letting them run wild. The Marloss Man is basically the pinnacle of that - you have shown yourself to be 'worthy' enough, you will be made into a living puppet of the fungus, a being so thoroughly infected by the fungus that it effectively became the fungus.

The triffids on the other hand do not use the wildlife for expanding at all. They seem to connect to the local Flora instead of Fauna, turning brushes, trees and similar things into their tools and little helpers (...why do I have an Ultima Deja Vu now? Oh, right, THE GRASS is attacking). They do not interact with the Fauna in a meaningful way which would suggest you could become one of their puppets.

To put it into another way: The Fungus is basically like the european  explorers, finding america or exploring and exploiting africa. They are more than willing to take over the land by force, and to enslave the local populace (aka us/the fauna) in order to further their goals.

The Triffids on the other hand probably see in us little more than local wildlife. We are basically like a poisonous snake, a wild elephant, a lion or something similar. Yes, we are a potential danger to their 'people' and colonies, but we're just animals. We have to be taken down in order for the colonies to thrive.

If there ever will be a way for us to interact with Triffids, it would have to be by mutations. Have enough plant and plant-like mutations so that the triffids would recognize you as Flora and potential ally instead of stupid animal. That way they might have an interest in you. Maybe they'd try to domesticate you. (who's a good boy? Plant-boy is a good boy, yes he is! *pat pat*)
That would beg the question though, why not making other 'questlines' for other mutation trees too? We do have slime-like mutations, right? If you'd go far enough, could you actually interact with the zombies or the goo? What about animal-mutations for interacting with wildlife? What would stop you from doing a rat-king and gather all the animals of your corresponding mutation-line around you?
Hell, if you think about it, some combinations of mutations could be enough for beings like the Thing, Amigara Horrors or cthulhu nightmares (aka flying polyp, mi-go, shoggoth ...) to interact with you.

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 04:38:24 AM »
I think domesticating Things and Amigara Horrors would be somewhat (as in insanely) overpowered.

I haven't played around much with the occult mod; but maybe there'd be certain ways to interact with the more Lovecraftian horrors that way? Temporarily summon a shoggoth or flesh angel at a relatively high skill level, maybe? Correct me if there's already a way to partake in such shenanigans.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline CommanderXor

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:05:27 AM »
A Marloss line for the triffids probably won't be happening, if you consider how different fungus and triffids are.

You have to consider, the Fungus has to use local wildlife (iincluding survivors) in order to expand itself over a wide area. We are basically it's carrier. It can certainly do something similar on it's own by making fungoids and using spires, but it's a lot slower than just infecting a few animals and letting them run wild. The Marloss Man is basically the pinnacle of that - you have shown yourself to be 'worthy' enough, you will be made into a living puppet of the fungus, a being so thoroughly infected by the fungus that it effectively became the fungus.

The triffids on the other hand do not use the wildlife for expanding at all. They seem to connect to the local Flora instead of Fauna, turning brushes, trees and similar things into their tools and little helpers (...why do I have an Ultima Deja Vu now? Oh, right, THE GRASS is attacking). They do not interact with the Fauna in a meaningful way which would suggest you could become one of their puppets.

To put it into another way: The Fungus is basically like the european  explorers, finding america or exploring and exploiting africa. They are more than willing to take over the land by force, and to enslave the local populace (aka us/the fauna) in order to further their goals.

The Triffids on the other hand probably see in us little more than local wildlife. We are basically like a poisonous snake, a wild elephant, a lion or something similar. Yes, we are a potential danger to their 'people' and colonies, but we're just animals. We have to be taken down in order for the colonies to thrive.

If there ever will be a way for us to interact with Triffids, it would have to be by mutations. Have enough plant and plant-like mutations so that the triffids would recognize you as Flora and potential ally instead of stupid animal. That way they might have an interest in you. Maybe they'd try to domesticate you. (who's a good boy? Plant-boy is a good boy, yes he is! *pat pat*)
That would beg the question though, why not making other 'questlines' for other mutation trees too? We do have slime-like mutations, right? If you'd go far enough, could you actually interact with the zombies or the goo? What about animal-mutations for interacting with wildlife? What would stop you from doing a rat-king and gather all the animals of your corresponding mutation-line around you?
Hell, if you think about it, some combinations of mutations could be enough for beings like the Thing, Amigara Horrors or cthulhu nightmares (aka flying polyp, mi-go, shoggoth ...) to interact with you.

This gave me an idea for a mod but I am horrible at modding, hm. Would something like being domesticated be a thing people could like?

Offline Kadian

• Survivor
  • ...the shadows cutting deeper...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 08:25:08 PM »
I think domesticating Things and Amigara Horrors would be somewhat (as in insanely) overpowered.

I haven't played around much with the occult mod; but maybe there'd be certain ways to interact with the more Lovecraftian horrors that way? Temporarily summon a shoggoth or flesh angel at a relatively high skill level, maybe? Correct me if there's already a way to partake in such shenanigans.

Those were just examples. Basically, what I was trying to say: One shouldn't favour a specific mutation branch by giving it a whole questline which people might be interested in looking into. This is  especially true when talking about a relatively strong branch like plant. There are certain mutation branches which are, on the other side, quite weak or rarely being used. Prime examples are fish (which basically helps you swim...yay?), troglodyte (which makes you utterly useless in daytime) or even something like rat (which seems relatively strong, but you need a LOT of food in order to keep going). Mutation Branches such as this would actually benefit from questlines or special companion stuff, because people would have a reason to actually reach their treshhold, instead of going the usual 'safe' (Alpha, Medical, ...) or 'strong' routes (Chimera, Elf-A, ...).

I do have to disagree with you on one thing: 'taming' The Thing wouldn't be all that OP. Finding one is very hard, there are only a few in the world. And even if you find and 'tame' one, a few zombies, 2-3 grim howlers, 2 zombie brutes or a single zombie hulk would be enough to kill the Thing. Don't believe me? Check their stats and the 'Difficulty' . The Thing is at Difficulty 30, a Grim howler at 13. Hulks are 50. Brutes a solid 20. Hell, even a NPC could probably kill it,if they'd spawn with the right equipment and skills.
The Amigara Horrors would be op though, yes. Especially because you can summon them indefinitely.

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »

Those were just examples. Basically, what I was trying to say: One shouldn't favour a specific mutation branch by giving it a whole questline which people might be interested in looking into. This is  especially true when talking about a relatively strong branch like plant. There are certain mutation branches which are, on the other side, quite weak or rarely being used. Prime examples are fish (which basically helps you swim...yay?), troglodyte (which makes you utterly useless in daytime) or even something like rat (which seems relatively strong, but you need a LOT of food in order to keep going). Mutation Branches such as this would actually benefit from questlines or special companion stuff, because people would have a reason to actually reach their treshhold, instead of going the usual 'safe' (Alpha, Medical, ...) or 'strong' routes (Chimera, Elf-A, ...).

I do have to disagree with you on one thing: 'taming' The Thing wouldn't be all that OP. Finding one is very hard, there are only a few in the world. And even if you find and 'tame' one, a few zombies, 2-3 grim howlers, 2 zombie brutes or a single zombie hulk would be enough to kill the Thing. Don't believe me? Check their stats and the 'Difficulty' . The Thing is at Difficulty 30, a Grim howler at 13. Hulks are 50. Brutes a solid 20. Hell, even a NPC could probably kill it,if they'd spawn with the right equipment and skills.
The Amigara Horrors would be op though, yes. Especially because you can summon them indefinitely.

Yeah, the Thing's actually pretty wimpy, now that you mention it. Amigara Horrors would be a whole 'nother level of game-breakage though, yeah.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline Wally-kun

• Survivor
  • Let Sleeping Memes Lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 05:41:49 AM »
We do have slime-like mutations, right? If you'd go far enough, could you actually interact with the zombies or the goo?

I can foresee mimicking behaviors of the blob, but everything I know about the blob tells me that we do not want to be interacting with it in any meaningful way. The blob is not our friend. If it's even capable of being our friend, it simply won't be, ever. The blob can only be an enemy.