Author Topic: Tips, Tricks, and Newb Questions!  (Read 1718931 times)

Offline HunterAlpha1

• Survivor
  • King Of Farts
    • View Profile
Re: Tips, Tricks, and Newb Questions!
« Reply #3240 on: May 20, 2014, 02:34:36 AM »
When I'm building my main base I place a large square of spiked pits around it, and then another outside of that separated by a space.  Then on the inside of the inner square I build palisades.  Inside of that I place turrets sheltered by roofs and separated by a single wall tile so they don't shoot each other.  If I still feel I need it I add another row of spiked pits outside of the outer row.  At this point my base is pretty much impregnable by anything, but if I feel like it I'll add a row each of nailboard traps and caltrops just in case a Zombie Hulk that's part of a horde stumbles across my fortress.

You can build your trap layers 2 tiles thick and still reach both sides easy enough.  It also gives room to have diagonal holes as entrances, much less likely for something to get through and avoid a whole line of traps.

I havent been playing against hordes, will your setup hold out against them?
The inner row butts up against my palisade, so if I put the first two rows of spikepits next to each other I won't be able to reach them unless someone makes palisade walls climbable.  The reason the inner row is right up against the palisade is because if a strong enemy makes it to the palisade before I get my turrets up I can lure the enemy into following me along the line of spikepits until it dies. 

Haven't tested it with hordes yet, because in every game I've played since hordes were implemented a really nice vehicle has spawned near my starting shelter so I haven't needed to build a base yet. 
The king of farts has spoken, thank you very much sir I will proceed with my drug fueled rage against this book case
That would be a strange quote
"They've got us surrounded again, those poor bastards." - Abrams

Offline Creamy Goodness

• NPC
  • Smokin Zombies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: May 20, 2014, 02:37:20 AM »
Hey guys had a noob question, Made my first actual surviving archer and his archer and marksman have maxed out at 5 and 4, I have just slaughtered a mansion and beyond of zombies and didn't get a % of skill, am using a compound bow. does it expect me to find a low chance bow in a sporting store or search forever for a crossbow trap / Archery book for something different? melee does not seem to have these limitations on gear and skill as far as I remember.

Offline FunsizeNinja123

• Survivor
  • Bleeding sand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: May 20, 2014, 02:47:23 AM »
Keep trying. Takes a while, or find the bowyers buddy and make that sexy reflex recurve bow.
"Pretty, yep." John Candlebury, on herself.
"Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ." ~ChristopherWalken
"Ninjas are so tasty." ~Kevin Granade himself
"This ain't Terraria.  Your wings are not powered by the Soul of Flight." ~KA101
"Never has my snake been more solid..."

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
  • Don't trip on the (me) on the way in, har har
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: May 20, 2014, 02:47:33 AM »
Hey guys had a noob question, Made my first actual surviving archer and his archer and marksman have maxed out at 5 and 4, I have just slaughtered a mansion and beyond of zombies and didn't get a % of skill, am using a compound bow. does it expect me to find a low chance bow in a sporting store or search forever for a crossbow trap / Archery book for something different? melee does not seem to have these limitations on gear and skill as far as I remember.

Not familiar entirely with the Experimental learning mechanics.

Were you low/empty on Focus?

Offline greenpanda

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: May 20, 2014, 03:05:24 AM »
Did you get you need a more accurate weapon to improve your skill message?

Offline Creamy Goodness

• NPC
  • Smokin Zombies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:55 AM »

Not familiar entirely with the Experimental learning mechanics.

Were you low/empty on Focus?

I do not remember but I never move into combat below 60 focus im very cautious

[/quote]
Did you get you need a more accurate weapon to improve your skill message?
[/quote]

I think I might have, but I was in combat so I didn't have time / Was too impatient to stop buttom smashing F for a second to read it

Offline Khrysanth

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: May 20, 2014, 03:16:59 AM »
The two main ways of improving the accuracy of a bow is either to find/make a more advanced bow, or to make and use better arrows.

You didn't mention what type of arrows you were using with that compound bow.

Offline Creamy Goodness

• NPC
  • Smokin Zombies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: May 20, 2014, 03:18:35 AM »
The two main ways of improving the accuracy of a bow is either to find/make a more advanced bow, or to make and use better arrows.

I use field point arrows, Second noob question guys, I heard basements are safe zones from monsters, can I smash shit down here and the above ground level wont hear me?

Offline HunterAlpha1

• Survivor
  • King Of Farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: May 20, 2014, 03:20:53 AM »

I use field point arrows, Second noob question guys, I heard basements are safe zones from monsters, can I smash shit down here and the above ground level wont hear me?
So far.  I've set off C4 and dynamite when breaking open science lab armories with 1k hordes right above my head and never saw them aggro. 
The king of farts has spoken, thank you very much sir I will proceed with my drug fueled rage against this book case

Offline Creamy Goodness

• NPC
  • Smokin Zombies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: May 20, 2014, 03:27:18 AM »

So far.  I've set off C4 and dynamite when breaking open science lab armories with 1k hordes right above my head and never saw them aggro.

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: May 20, 2014, 03:30:35 AM »

Hunter, sig this. It's about you.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline HunterAlpha1

• Survivor
  • King Of Farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:09 AM »

Done.  Damn 300 character limit.  :(

Offline FunsizeNinja123

• Survivor
  • Bleeding sand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: May 20, 2014, 03:48:47 AM »
Just shorten it to "The king of farts has spoken".
"Pretty, yep." John Candlebury, on herself.
"Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ." ~ChristopherWalken
"Ninjas are so tasty." ~Kevin Granade himself
"This ain't Terraria.  Your wings are not powered by the Soul of Flight." ~KA101
"Never has my snake been more solid..."

Offline Creamy Goodness

• NPC
  • Smokin Zombies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: May 20, 2014, 03:51:56 AM »

I must say it classes up the place mr hunter :)

Offline HunterAlpha1

• Survivor
  • King Of Farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: May 20, 2014, 04:30:02 AM »

I must say it classes up the place mr hunter :)
Indeed, but let's not all get banned for pyramiding, eh?