Author Topic: Tips, Tricks, and Newb Questions!  (Read 2068963 times)

Offline Tamior

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Tips, Tricks, and Newb Questions!
« Reply #18135 on: October 18, 2017, 10:01:26 PM »
They use somewhat different math. And at the moment, dexterity is strictly better at the job, in every way. I have opened an issue for that, but apparently that's "working as intended".
In short, perception only really affects attacks made at perfect aim AND affects it less than dexterity affects attacks made at ANY aim. Further - the effect of low dexterity is much more "stable" numerically, meaning that dexterity effect is much more likely to prevent you from sniping than low perception (except if you have got 0 dispersion scope, 0 eye encumbrance, and are only making perfect aim shots).
Dexterity also affects aim speed and boosts melee combat.

If you want perception, just take night vision trait and take dexterity instead. In unmodded DDA, perception is a dump stat. So is intelligence, by the way.
Well, that's very interesting information, will sure consider it. Thanks.

But speaking about perception and sight distance in the dark — I'm pretty sure that at high (13 base) perception my character could still see further in the dark with  night vision than with base (8) perception with night vision. Is that true? How exactly perc effects sight at night anyway?

Also, isn't intelligence kind of very important for bionics installation?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:08:19 PM by Tamior »

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Excitebike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18136 on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »
actually, ive had tremendous success popping caffeine pills prior to installation.

int does have some good effect, as much as 4-5% per statup

Offline Adragis029

• NPC
  • Mutant Mutant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18137 on: October 18, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »
Int is a very important stat in general, I find, especially as a general utility. Jacked out on caffeine pills, a 12-base-intelligence mutant can hack lab computers with a decent degree of reliability, meaning access to the barracks.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18138 on: October 18, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »
Does anyone know the math behind how much noise is made by a gunshot in this game now?

Offline _Rogue

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18139 on: October 18, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »
Why are some of the guns and magazines I have in red text?

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18140 on: October 18, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »
In unmodded DDA, perception is a dump stat. So is intelligence, by the way.

Perception is useful for a couple of things... primarily trap detection (until you get your trapping skill up to 3 or so - unless it has changed recently, trapping is several times as effective at spotting traps) and Niten bonus.

Int is useful for more things, including bionics installation (VITAL), hacking (very useful), staying awake longer (nice sometimes), and resisting certain things (rare, but nice when it matters).  It also affects skill rust, but very few people play with that on (since it's crazy-stupid-broken-annoying).
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline TheMightyHercules

• Survivor
  • How Mighty Are Ya?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18141 on: October 19, 2017, 12:19:12 AM »
Why are some of the guns and magazines I have in red text?

It's because you don't have the ammunition on hand to reload it

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18142 on: October 19, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »
Why are lye and lye powder different items?

Offline Firestorm_01

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18143 on: October 19, 2017, 05:29:43 AM »
About what "modded" version  are you talking about? Coolthulhu's version?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:29:07 AM by Firestorm_01 »

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18144 on: October 19, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »
But speaking about perception and sight distance in the dark — I'm pretty sure that at high (13 base) perception my character could still see further in the dark with  night vision than with base (8) perception with night vision. Is that true? How exactly perc effects sight at night anyway?

The trait gives exactly the same extra range as 6 points of perception. This is a flat (ie. non-scaling) increase. Rest is eye encumbrance and light. Not all nights are equally dark.

Int is a very important stat in general, I find, especially as a general utility. Jacked out on caffeine pills, a 12-base-intelligence mutant can hack lab computers with a decent degree of reliability, meaning access to the barracks.

You can just bring a jackhammer or an oxy torch. Wasting 4-8 stat points on a stat that stops being useful will hurt you in the long term.
Even after the nerf to morale stacking, you can still gain 10 morale from smoking 3 doses of crack, 2 extra from meth, 2 from morale, 1 from nicotine. That's all semi-common stuff.
So even if you're a genius winning all the math olympics as a kid, a crackhead chain smoker on meth will still outsmart you.
Winners do drugs until their tiny brain rots (then they go cold turkey), losers who didn't dump int and per can only passively-aggressively tip their fedoras and quote Rick & Morty because their dumped actually-important-stats (that can't be easily buffed) matter for everything else. Unless they are playing in ez mode, ie. single pool.

Offline Adragis029

• NPC
  • Mutant Mutant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18145 on: October 19, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »

The trait gives exactly the same extra range as 6 points of perception. This is a flat (ie. non-scaling) increase. Rest is eye encumbrance and light. Not all nights are equally dark.

You can just bring a jackhammer or an oxy torch. Wasting 4-8 stat points on a stat that stops being useful will hurt you in the long term.
Even after the nerf to morale stacking, you can still gain 10 morale from smoking 3 doses of crack, 2 extra from meth, 2 from morale, 1 from nicotine. That's all semi-common stuff.
So even if you're a genius winning all the math olympics as a kid, a crackhead chain smoker on meth will still outsmart you.
Winners do drugs until their tiny brain rots (then they go cold turkey), losers who didn't dump int and per can only passively-aggressively tip their fedoras and quote Rick & Morty because their dumped actually-important-stats (that can't be easily buffed) matter for everything else. Unless they are playing in ez mode, ie. single pool.

a) taking drugs is dumb

b) single pool for life, man

c) acetylene torches are heavy and annoying

I don't get why everyone is so okay with downing so much crack and meth. It's just disgusting.

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18146 on: October 19, 2017, 08:39:45 AM »
c) acetylene torches are heavy and annoying

How about an iron pick? Strike the lab!

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18147 on: October 19, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
a) taking drugs is dumb
b) single pool for life, man

You're missing out on all the fun and challenges.

Offline Tamior

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18148 on: October 19, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
So, in context of  Int and Perc being "dump stat" with multiple pools— a we talking "keep at 8" dump stat or are we talking "lower to 4" dump stat?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:44:10 PM by Tamior »

Offline Zeebie

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18149 on: October 19, 2017, 02:07:03 PM »
It seems to me that throwing sticks are vastly better than wooden javelins, but I can't see any reason for that in their stats - any insights into which numbers make the difference?