Author Topic: Android Version  (Read 11041 times)

Offline a1studmuffin

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Android Version
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
Localization support is definitely on the list! Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Offline ZarenOFF

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
Localization support is definitely on the list! Thanks for the kind words everyone.
I set russian language in seetings but game still english.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:19:55 AM by ZarenOFF »

Offline Aqma

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
So, half an hour of play:

Stability:

- Works great on my one plus one (5.5'), am on marshmallow if it matters. No crashes, everything super stable, only a hang when I suicide a test run, which cleared up in the end.
- Probably loading time in the beginning when starting up would be great if you can implement, just staring at the black screen seems weird.
- I loaded a run I've been playing for the past week and it works fine as well!

Controls:

- Super fluid, I was baffled a bit in the beginning but once I got used to it ... man this is one amazing work here, I love the swipe movement and tap shortcuts, the most used shortcuts is great as well.
- One thing here though, in order for something to be added to the used shortcuts you need to activate it once, this means that I need to pull up the keyboard and activate for example V(iew) and then I have it in the shortcuts - this is not something difficult for people used to the game but may be a bit daunting for new players. If possible, not sure how difficult to implement, maybe it would be nice to have next to the ? a button on which if you press a view comes in sight in which you could have a sort of a table with the actions in game to select from (like a list or something).

Graphics:
- In game graphics look good as well.
- I noticed if I change the resolution to a higher one and start the game, the screen with explanations that you wrote at the beginning does not scale, it remains a bit smaller to the left up side.

All in all i am super hyped about this, THANK YOUUUUU!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:44:18 PM by Aqma »

Offline a1studmuffin

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 02:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the detailed feedback, very useful.

RE: the shortcuts expanding idea to save new players needing to bring up the keyboard, the quickest dirtiest solution I can think of for that would be having a shortcut to the Action Menu by default. If they perform actions from that, they'll end up in the shortcuts list... might be enough? Otherwise it's tricky as there's a *lot* of actions that can be performed in the default game mode.

RE: blank screen + intro text not scaling, agree 100%, cheers for the feedback.

Really glad to hear it's all working well aside from those minor things though.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 04:18:46 AM »
Pretty amazing, it's incredibly smooth and I love what you've done with the controls.
Let me know if there's anything you need mainlined to make sure we don't break you down the road.

I set russian language in seetings but game still english.
I assume he hasn't bult the localization library yet (gettext), it can be challenging to work with.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline hatcher

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 09:04:30 AM »
Alcatel pop c7, 512 RAM.
Crashing after unpacking, debug log is empty. Out of memory? Where can i check?
Saaaaaaad.

Btw, great work, dude.

Offline frankokoro

• Zombie Food
  • Bladed weapons maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
There's one bug I'm looking into at the moment which has happened on a handful of devices only. There seems to be something wacky going on with the text printing:

World create screen:

It seems like the game is running fine, but when it draws a window + prints text, certain characters are repeating several times across multiple cells (and obscuring other characters/cells in the process).

I haven't changed any of this code from the desktop build, so my gut feeling is it's perhaps an uninitialized value somewhere in the window/text printing functions that's fine on desktop and most devices by chance, but not on a handful of these Android devices.

If any of the CDDA devs have any thoughts on this I'm all ears - I'll keep looking at it on my side though I can't repro it on my device or on my Genymotion emulators so it's a bit tricky to track down, might have to enlist the help of someone testing it and dump out some logging info.

Having the same problem, phone is a Huawei Honor 5X model KIW-L24.
"...For any normal person this would be a trivial task. But you, you are an adventurer. Everything is a federal fucking issue for you."

Offline Adragis029

• Zombie Food
  • Mutant Mutant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »
Won't run at all. Opens on black screen, says it's not responding after ~10 seconds.

Sony Xperia S.

Offline nasKo

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 12:40:41 AM »
There's one bug I'm looking into at the moment which has happened on a handful of devices only. There seems to be something wacky going on with the text printing:

*snip*
Getting that every time I start, too.

Note 4 N910F on 6.0.1

Offline Wojtek94

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »
I don't know why but if I unpack ,,RFFSound" into ,,sound" folder Cata doesn't work. Any solutions?

Offline a1studmuffin

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
Kevin: Thanks for the kind words! I must say the codebase compiled for Android remarkably well once I got the makefiles set up correctly. There were a couple of minor issues with missing standard library functions, and I've made a few fixes in #ifdef __ANDROID__ blocks. When I get it all up on GitHub I'll see if there are some sensible pull requests to be made back to mainline, but really the majority of the work was just all the hackery I did to add the touch controls, so I don't think it will be too painful going forward if I just continue to pull latest down every now and then.

hatcher: Yeah the crash will be due to not enough memory, it needs about 400-450MB free, sorry!

Adragis029: Have you tried leaving it on the black screen for a while (like a minute or two)? It currently takes quite a long time to start up without any feedback during this period, I'm working on fixing that for the next version update. (Edit: Just checked your phone specs, with 1GB RAM it's possibly out of memory depending on how much the OS is using up. You could try manually editing config\options.json and set Use Tiles to false.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:53:34 PM by a1studmuffin »

Offline a1studmuffin

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
I don't know why but if I unpack ,,RFFSound" into ,,sound" folder Cata doesn't work. Any solutions?
I haven't tried that soundpack specifically, but I managed to get the ChestHole soundpack working fine - does that one work? It could be a memory issue otherwise.

Offline hatcher

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »
Hey, its me again.

I launched cata (kinda) successfully.
For some reason, extractor doesn't creating configs, so, i copied my config folder.
After that, finally, i've seen main menu window.
Greetings from Mother Russia.

Offline Adragis029

• Zombie Food
  • Mutant Mutant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
Adragis029: Have you tried leaving it on the black screen for a while (like a minute or two)? It currently takes quite a long time to start up without any feedback during this period, I'm working on fixing that for the next version update. (Edit: Just checked your phone specs, with 1GB RAM it's possibly out of memory depending on how much the OS is using up. You could try manually editing config\options.json and set Use Tiles to false.)
Yeah, it just doesn't work after several minutes.
I'll try the configs thing, I never use tiles anyway :P

EDIT: I can't find options.json. I think files aren't copying properly?

edit: just deleted the gfx folder, works now and i set it to ascii
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:15:23 PM by Adragis029 »

Offline a1studmuffin

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 10:53:32 PM »
Thanks for the update, great to hear it's running now. That's a good plan B for a lot of people too, I'll be sure to include that in the FAQ. The reason the config file doesn't exist is because it's created by the game on first run, so if it's not getting that far it won't appear. But I didn't think of deleting the gfx folder to force it to use ascii, nice one.