Author Topic: Hav-A-Heart Traps and animal breeding/husbandry?  (Read 956 times)

Offline CosmicKobal

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Hav-A-Heart Traps and animal breeding/husbandry?
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:46:44 PM »
I know that in many a preppers research and  preparations, rabbit farms, chicken farms, fish farms, etc are considered as a very reliable method of meat sourcing, fur, bones, etc.

I feel like like if animals breeding is something that could happen in game, possibly by there being a chance for 2 or more of the same animal being in close proximity to have a chance to 'multiply' and spawn another animal, then you could feasibly build yourself a nice little fenced in meat/fur/bone/feather/fat farm.

some sort of 'Hav-A-Heart' trap would go a long way toward making this a reality by allowing you to capture wild chickens, rabbits, etc and release them inside your fenced area.

something like this idea would make it SOOOO much more imperitive to actually build and maintain your fenced areas and not just demolish them for materials.

http://effectivewildlifesolutions.com/have-a-heart-traps/

thoughts?
Your freedom to say stupid S*** ends when my brain cells start committing HaraKiri.
-Me

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Hav-A-Heart Traps and animal breeding/husbandry?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »
The problem is mostly feeding them outside reality bubble.
If they were just infinite food factories, it would be pretty simple. Likewise if they were always inside the bubble.
The problems start when you load a "frozen" chicken and need to have it check if it starved to death or not, did it have enough food to lay eggs, was it killed or did it flee etc.

Those checks aren't easy when you can't say much about the area the chicken is in, can't load the entirety of it yet, can't even rely on this data being saved in correct order.

Offline CosmicKobal

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:01:18 AM »
yeah, I can see how that could be problematic...

shucks...
Your freedom to say stupid S*** ends when my brain cells start committing HaraKiri.
-Me

Offline CosmicKobal

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
What about a 'Fish Farm' Construction that took like... 80 plastic and 30 scrap metal to build. it would basically be like  one of these:

https://www.ntotank.com/275gallon-nto-white-reconditioned-ibc-tote-tank-x7738445?gclid=CPuwlJH0gNICFUlWDQodZ1UFsg

I don't imagine Mobs would target it, and I imagine the way it would function would be something like taking your 'old' but not 'rotten' meat, veggies, etc and 'Loading' them into the fish farm( as food). then, say 24 hours later, you can 'E'xamine the fishfarm and remove an appropriate number of fish corpses.

the logic behind this is your survivor feeding the fish with the food that's about to go bad and then harvesting one or more of the fish from the farm.

this might need some tweaking, but I think it would be manageable. Just treat it like a Kiln or something. like how you load in one item and get another out.
-Me

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »
If you put you critters in an enclosure, we could possibly have some simplified logic for them exhausting whatever resources they need.  Otherwise updates can just be deferred until the next time the tile is loaded.
It's not that it's impossible or even prohibitively difficult, it's just quite a bit of work.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
It's not that it's impossible or even prohibitively difficult, it's just quite a bit of work.

It's also not obvious how to actually do it.
The biggest restriction is that the critter can't move freely to reach food. This means that, depending on the system used, it could starve to death if unloaded too far from the place with food.

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 01:19:12 AM »
An NPC who is a goat and sells you milk and replenishes stock could be possible.

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 01:25:01 AM »
An NPC who is a goat

It would have to be an Undertale style goat, because NPCs have human limbs, ability to put on clothing and wield weapons, and need to be able to talk to trade.

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:06 AM »
Oh right NPC is mostly hardcoded. I mean a pet goat plus the trade menu.

I suggest that pet should not need food. Feeding is tedious. And they should not breed or only very slowly, for balance.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 02:57:50 AM »

It's also not obvious how to actually do it.
The biggest restriction is that the critter can't move freely to reach food. This means that, depending on the system used, it could starve to death if unloaded too far from the place with food.

That's why I suggested stashing the animal in a hutch/coop/whatever to restrict it's movement, then when processing it offscreen, the entire contents of the enclosure are available for it to consume.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire

Offline Malaxxor

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
Just throwing in an idea because I really like the suggestion and would like to see in the game at some point, so:

What about zones? Could they be used to 'feed' animals off-screen (as long as both the animal and the food are in the same zone) or are they not processed when outside the reality bubble?

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »
zones could do this sort of thing, but it's just a nicer interface to have something the pc interacts with in the game instead of an abstraction that the user interacts with directly.

Some kind of zoning interface might be necessary for e.g. cattle that require a large field.  You *could* put cattle in stalls, but if you aren't supplementing with grass it's crazy resource intensive to grow them.  Then you'd need to be out harvesting hay and shit on an almost daily basis to stock up their feed sources.

Offline Wally-kun

• Survivor
  • Let Sleeping Memes Lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »
Eventually zones are going to be a pretty necessary part of the game, I think, for several reasons. Designated farm zones could be a really useful feature.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 03:21:54 AM »
Animal husbandry (and most aspects of farming, really) make more sense as a "faction" kind of thing.  Secure enough space for a large enough group (and possibly deliver initial breeding stock), and animal husbandry products become available for trade in a renewable fashion (milk, wool, eggs, meat, etc).

Of course, that would involve solving how areas become "secure" first, which is a fairly significant issue.  Nice long-term thoughts, I guess...
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline kolsurma

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »
Eventually zones are going to be a pretty necessary part of the game, I think, for several reasons. Designated farm zones could be a really useful feature.

Agreed, if only to get NPCs to actually go out and plant/harvest food.