Author Topic: Hav-A-Heart Traps and animal breeding/husbandry?  (Read 847 times)

Offline Malaxxor

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Hav-A-Heart Traps and animal breeding/husbandry?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »
Animal husbandry (and most aspects of farming, really) make more sense as a "faction" kind of thing.

Not necessarily. Both in real life and in a possible implementation in the game, some animals could easily be fed and bred by a single person. Chickens for example can be kept in a person's backyard, while goats don't really require a lot of maintenance either (though I have no idea how common goats are in New England). The amount of food you can produce even with a handful of animals is still quite a lot, but then food isn't really a concern in the game past the first few days.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
I agree, keeping small numbers if animals as an individual makes sense, I but there are some common situations where it doesn't scale.  We wouldn't want to keep track of more than a dozen or so animals, and it doesn't make sense for an individual to manage that many.  For numbers larger than that we'd want to push it into the faction system.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline lol2121

• Zombie Food
  • Highly Automated Lifeform
    • View Profile
    • http://steam-community.com/?ref=GSAYCYu
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »
Well, I have some ideas:
1. Introduction of animal NPCs, which would require food on a regular basis, but would produce e.g milk as a result (you get the idea). - Quite easy to implement, but a bit wonky and unrealistic.

2. Kiln-based animals, which would be just charcoal kilns, but mobile and with different inputs and outputs. E.g: food + time -> milk (for a cow/sheep/goat). - Also easy to implement, but IDK how the game would react to moving animal-like kilns. (Moving kilns, what?!)

3. Proper animals with realistic mechanic (thirst, food and environment at the very least), whose growth rate depends on the satisfaction level of those needs. They could be slaughtered and butchered, but could also die of natural causes. It would look like this: Food + water + appropriate temperature -> growth + milk + wool (if a sheep or a goat, only milk in case of a cow). - Harder to implement. but the behaviour would be the most realistic out of all of the options.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid that I can't do that". - HAL 9000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI - full Beethoven's 9th Symphony.
I like art music.