Author Topic: Heavy Power Armor. Well. Power Armor in general.  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Bill Chompski

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Heavy Power Armor. Well. Power Armor in general.
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:33:46 PM »
I was thinking back to an older character of mine who had found  heavy power armor (in the middle of the road with a mininuke, no less), and was wondering what it looks like. The in-game description only talks about features and functions, so no definite appearance can be assumed.

Personally, I think the heavy power armor looks something along the lines of the enclave x-01 armor from FO4. Large and bulky.
But, what do you think?
M-MULTI WIENER DRIFTING?!

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Power Armor. Well. Power Armor in general.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »
Definitely like fo4 power armor. In fact I'm planning on making them even more similar, such as by adding power armor hoist furniture and restricting the fuels they can use.
Also interested in making them moddable.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Bill Chompski

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
Ooh, very interesting. Maybe have some sort of bionic that can attach to a suit when you wear it, causing it to use your battery levels as a fuel source?
...oh, wait, that's just a UPS CBM. In that case, maybe the armor would be UPS compatible?

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:29:41 AM »
I'm thinking more like the fusion core thing, where it takes a unique power supply that last quite a long time.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Bill Chompski

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 04:38:47 AM »
I don't remember clearly, due to it being an old character, but don't power armor suits already take plutonium cells? Isn't that kinda...fusion core-y?
Oh, actually, if a proper fusion core type thing is added, maybe the plutonium could be used as a base component in crafting? Put the recipe in some lab journal, and there, a way to craft fuel for the murderfucker armor. I mean, so long as you have the rare components.

Offline nick0010

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »
They're powered by a ups(regular batteries), or an advanced ups (Plutonium) or just with a cbm.

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:01:20 AM »
Is it wrong that I somewhat like the idea of mutant-strong characters being able to tough it out with unpowered armor, somewhat like NCR Heavy Troopers? Basically just wearing it like normal armor without any assistance from a power source with a strength of like, 16, or something.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline feco

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »
Definitely like fo4 power armor. In fact I'm planning on making them even more similar, such as by adding power armor hoist furniture and restricting the fuels they can use.
Also interested in making them moddable.

This excites me.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 05:20:33 PM »
Perhaps you can also actually wear something with power armor. Like duffle bags with REALLY long straps as that is the main reason I don't go omg power armor and more like oh cool something I can sell although this probably more likely due to me usually carrying almost literally everything I find that can even remotely useful. Point is I find the hauling frame lacking.

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
the main reason you need yo use he hauling frame rather then a backpack isn't the length of the straps but the fact the straps can wedge into the joints. a hauling frame is designed to attach to solid plate areas rather then near joints.  but i can ALSO see how you could make a hauling frame store more, replace the pouches with full sized pockets and stuff.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 06:35:30 AM »
Meh, the hauling fame is quite sufficient most of the time (would be nice to be able to hold a duffel bad in your hands and have it give you storage for short trips).

The main problem is lack of usable scabbard/holster/etc.  They can be made (I did it, just to see), but I don't use power armor enough to bother with balancing them and getting them mainlined.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »
they don't really have any appeal at all in cataclysm, they're more of a penalty than anything else, why would anyone ever use power armor in this game? i've tried to come up with an excuse, but they're straight up a downgrade.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
how is it a penalty? it does exactly what it is designed to do, that being a big heavy suit of armor that can be powered to make it feel less heavy.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 10:51:26 PM »
how is it a penalty? it does exactly what it is designed to do, that being a big heavy suit of armor that can be powered to make it feel less heavy.

is this a serious question? going to respond as such:
1. can't wear things
2. storage
3. it's not even that good armor
4. needs a bionic

sure i missed a few.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 11:51:50 PM »
 not that good armor? heavy power armor makes you immune to basically everything short of a point blank mininuke, and nothing can let you survive a point blank mininuke. how much better can it possibly get?