Author Topic: Heavy Power Armor. Well. Power Armor in general.  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Antumbra

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Power Armor. Well. Power Armor in general.
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »
Mr. Fusion like CBMs are the reason I want to use a special fusion core for power armor.  As it is, its entirely too easy to just accumulate a ton of power and run power armor for extremely long times.

That's more a problem of CBM slot limits not being finalised than of needing to add another layer of scarcity.

But aside from that, power is just power. Even if the armour was developed with independent power generation (which is certainly a reasonable idea), it would beg the question why there wouldn't be any interface developed for cyborgs or by tech-savvy survivors or you couldn't rig up a backpack minireactor.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 11:32:09 PM »
But aside from that, power is just power. Even if the armour was developed with independent power generation (which is certainly a reasonable idea), it would beg the question why there wouldn't be any interface developed for cyborgs or by tech-savvy survivors or you couldn't rig up a backpack minireactor.
For the same reason a fusion gun can't run on AA batteries and an electric car doesn't use a pile of lead-acid batteries, energy might be universal, but energy storage technologies are not.
1. Energy density, aka watt-hours per lb.
If your power source for your power armor weighs more than the armors' lifting capacity, its not capable of powering the armor.  Its totally feasible that functioning power armor would require an exotic power supply with a sci-fi level energy density.
2. Current capacity, aka watt rating.
If your power source can only supply 500W (ballpark for a charged car battery) and your power armor requires 10kW to operate (That's not actually a very high number for something like this...), your power supply isn't capable of powering the armor.  Again, we're presuming an almost impossible to construct sci-fi power supply that WILL supply the requisite power.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 11:53:01 PM »
Honestly a backpack minireactor sounds like a fun idea for the high mechanics/electricity survivor.  Could simply be a minireactor CBM  mounted in a backpack frame.

That said Im not sure how it should actually work, maybe it just charges an inventory UPS as at a constant rate while working.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 12:12:26 AM »
Honestly a backpack minireactor sounds like a fun idea for the high mechanics/electricity survivor.  Could simply be a minireactor CBM  mounted in a backpack frame.

That said Im not sure how it should actually work, maybe it just charges an inventory UPS as at a constant rate while working.
My guess is a wearable and more powerful adavanced ups

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 02:09:46 AM »
Actually a backpack minireactor is precisely what I meant by a sci-fi power source with rare power cores.
I was just laying out the rationale against "power is power", which also leads to things like wood-burning power armor or solar powered power armor.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Solusphere

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 03:58:36 AM »
Actually a backpack minireactor is precisely what I meant by a sci-fi power source with rare power cores.
I was just laying out the rationale against "power is power", which also leads to things like wood-burning power armor or solar powered power armor.

Not to mention power armor fueled by drinking booze :P

------------------------------------------------