Author Topic: Heavy Power Armor. Well. Power Armor in general.  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Power Armor. Well. Power Armor in general.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 11:56:46 PM »
they don't really have any appeal at all in cataclysm, they're more of a penalty than anything else, why would anyone ever use power armor in this game? i've tried to come up with an excuse, but they're straight up a downgrade.
Sure, mostly.  The intended use pre-cataclysm would be with shock troops that have close support, there's no good reason to expect them to work particularly well for a survivor without the requisite support.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »
ahhhh... now it makes much more sense, i should have considered it that way before honestly.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline ZoneWizard

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 11:53:46 PM »
I'm thinking more like the fusion core thing, where it takes a unique power supply that last quite a long time.

Use the power of random $h!t. Ala Back to the Future 2. Doc rigs the Delorian to use just about any random trash. All having a value assigned. This not only gobbles up the random crap in game, but also allows for a cool mod to the armor =D

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »
I'm thinking more like the fusion core thing, where it takes a unique power supply that last quite a long time.

Use the power of random $h!t. Ala Back to the Future 2. Doc rigs the Delorian to use just about any random trash. All having a value assigned. This not only gobbles up the random crap in game, but also allows for a cool mod to the armor =D

Mr. Fusion like CBMs are the reason I want to use a special fusion core for power armor.  As it is, its entirely too easy to just accumulate a ton of power and run power armor for extremely long times.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 01:04:15 AM »
i think what could help is making the different power armors accept different power inputs.
light power armor i imagine more like the suit from crysis

rather then a suit of fallout power armor.  (not exactly, but closer) due to it being extremely light an maneuverable compared to the other two, this lets it be less of a power hog. this also helps divide their roles.

light PA is much faster and easier to use at the cost of the armor, so it can't just walk straight towards a guy with a heavy weapon, instead it goes around them and it's decreased bulk lets the wearer dive and do any other maneuvers a normal person can but faster and harder. also, the form fitting lets it use regular guns without any drawbacks.

heavy PA is about plodding towards your target and just ignoring all the shit they shoot at you and responding with something even worse, as mentioned before by me a "recoil compensation" system would be great, as in, while worn and powered the recoil of any weapon is drastically ignored because the powered movement system can just ignore it, but the large armored gauntlets cause a serious penalty to normal firearm usage, heavy weapons and special built weapons need to be used, such as a minigun or a hypervelocity driver. and maybe some specialty melee weapons to take advantage of it's style of "ignore enemy and hit it really hard" like... a warhammer 40K style Thunder Hammer, which is like a sledgehammer but bigger and has a energy field on the head, so it would have like 60 bash but it's incredibly slow to swing so anything could get multiple hits on you, and it needs to be held in the hands of heavy power to turn on the energy field so it doesn't cook you with various exotic energy types.

Offline ZoneWizard

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:11:25 AM »

Mr. Fusion like CBMs are the reason I want to use a special fusion core for power armor.  As it is, its entirely too easy to just accumulate a ton of power and run power armor for extremely long times.

Was not aware of this CBM. Anyhoot. A set power core is good too. But it would have to have a recharge function. Nobody would buy something at 1mil bux and simply toss it in the bin after the battery dies. =)

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 04:04:55 AM »
Nobody would buy something at 1mil bux and simply toss it in the bin after the battery dies. =)
The military would :P

i think what could help is making the different power armors accept different power inputs.
In fact I'm planning on making them even more similar, such as by ... restricting the fuels they can use.
light power armor i imagine more like the suit from crysis rather then a suit of fallout power armor.
Definitely like fo4 power armor.
Please read the thread before posting, I addressed your points before you made them :P

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:15 AM »
you said that specifically about the heavy power armor, which i agree with. i didn't know you were saying all 3 would look like that.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »
how is it a penalty? it does exactly what it is designed to do, that being a big heavy suit of armor that can be powered to make it feel less heavy.

is this a serious question? going to respond as such:
1. can't wear things
2. storage
3. it's not even that good armor
4. needs a bionic

sure i missed a few.

1 and 2 are correct.  4 is correct but usually irrelevant, as the necessary CBM is much more common than the helmets.

Unless there is something I'm missing, 3 is flat wrong.  I have found exactly 0 things that can hurt me through heavy power armor, and the list of things that can do any damage even through normal power armor is VERY small (as is the damage they can do).

Now, I still don't use it almost ever, simply because 1 and 2 you listed make switching SO annoying (even with a hauling frame), but if I really need to wade into combat for something, and I have the time and happen to have a set, nothing else competes in the protection department.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
from another thread http://imgur.com/a/5ecRl
deep acid, fire, and mini nukes seem to be the only real way to hurt heavy power armor.

Offline RedPine

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »
Power Armor trades invincibility for encumbrance, a lack of inventory, slow speed, and moderate power drain.  A good deal for clearing out lab basements or fungal towers, but kinda impractical for literally anything else.  Usually, though, at least for lab basements, heavy survivor armor is good enough but doesn't come with inventory penalties. 

I only go somewhere if I'm expecting to find loot, I can only pick up the loot if I have inventory space.  So Power Armor would only be used in a situation where I would be killed if I only had heavy survivor armor, and was willing to visit twice (once with PA, once without for looting (assuming nothing nasty respawns)).

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »
Power Armor trades invincibility for encumbrance, a lack of inventory, slow speed, and moderate power drain.  A good deal for clearing out lab basements or fungal towers, but kinda impractical for literally anything else.  Usually, though, at least for lab basements, heavy survivor armor is good enough but doesn't come with inventory penalties. 

I only go somewhere if I'm expecting to find loot, I can only pick up the loot if I have inventory space.  So Power Armor would only be used in a situation where I would be killed if I only had heavy survivor armor, and was willing to visit twice (once with PA, once without for looting (assuming nothing nasty respawns)).

Considering that true power armor would be intended for military use ONLY, and even then, really only full-scale battlefield combat, all of that makes sense (except the lack of holster/gun rack and built-in melee capability).

Your point about only going places for loot is one of the weaknesses of the game, IMO - "late" game needs some more content, some reasons for doing things other than just loot.  If something like this game actually happened, eventually the survivors would want to band together and clear large chunks of territory, and possibly find a way to lessen the degree of incursion, even if no real "fix" is possible - clearing nearby fungal zones, beating back triffids, annihilating blob, finding and in some way marking and/or defending tears in reality (and repairing as much dimensional damage as possible, at some point), basically, making an area for human society to exist again.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 12:48:40 AM »
that's what some NPC quests do, like the farm, and the evac center.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
that's what some NPC quests do, like the farm, and the evac center.

Sort of.  There's no attempt at actually making the area safe, the farming issue is completely abstracted away, etc - it is a start in that direction, but most of the quests are still "go get a certain kind of loot".  Doing more in a generated world would admittedly be MUCH harder, of course.

Offline Adragis029

• NPC
  • Mutant Mutant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 12:11:04 AM »
I like the RM58(?) battle armour. Runs off plutonium cells, I imagine it like a suit with power-actuated non-newtonian fluids or whatever, as well as all the groovy environmental protection benefits of power armour without the massive encumbrance when unpowered (it's, like, the step below light power armour in that regard) and with the ability to wear stuff over it. More stuff like that - light futuristic/modern tech - would be great.