Author Topic: Realistic maps  (Read 860 times)

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic maps
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »
Right now, the default start, as i understand it, is at a evac center in your local town. As far as i'm concerned we should flesh that out (which is a easy fix) before we get to the chewy stuff like making it flexible for a variety of starts.

In that specific setting, it makes perfect sense for the survivor to have a rough idea of the neighbouring towns and major cities. More to the point, it makes perfect sense for a evac center to have a couple of maps.

Adding a chance for the evac shelter to have a road map in the lockers upstairs sounds like a good idea to me.

But this: "it makes perfect sense for the survivor to have a rough idea of the neighbouring towns and major cities."

You keep hand-waving away the actual hard part.  Sure, that's a great idea, but the hard part is not deciding that's a good idea - the hard part is defining what "rough idea" means, what "major cities" means, what "neighboring" means.

Defining that stuff well enough to actually code it in the game is HARD.  THAT is the hard part, and what we keep trying to get from you, and you keep saying vague, useless stuff like that.

Try this:

"You know, having an appliance in the home that replaces the microwave in size that just creates the food (like the Star Trek replicator) is a great idea!  You guys should get on that."

Sure, that's a great idea!  But the hard part is not the shape of the appliance, or even the concept of the appliance... it's that we don't know how to make a Star Trek replicator!  That's what you're doing, and it's really annoying.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline ribblle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
Sorry for the confusion ha.

So we've got two categories of map; mental and physical. They can use the same map screen, but if the physical map gets destroyed that information should be removed from the map.

I think Grandpuh's system

I can't suggest anything code-wise but, how does removing the initial block of revealed area and replacing it with roads(like a road map) and some randomly assigned "known" buildings along those roads sound? So kind of like having a character read a roadmap and a Point of Interest map at the same time, but what's "revealed" is randomly selected buildings instead of pre-determined restaurants/hospitals/etc.

I'm not suggesting giving players maps at the beginning of the game, just changing the initial known area to reflect a character's usual route or routine(which is really just picking random coordinates for buildings).

works for the local knowledge factor. You could also designate certain buildings as "landmarks", such as the town hall, church, and any buildings which are 2 or 3x taller then their surroundings.

So that's "rough idea"; what counts as neighbouring? Is it possible to code that the roads to the nearest town and the nearest city are guaranteed to be visible? I would once again use Grandpuh's system to determine visible buildings (at a lesser rate); however, what you really need is the ability to designate all buildings along a central road as a main street, and have a much higher chance of revealing those buildings.

I think the easiest way to handle map knowledge for each profession is to have a set "chance to reveal" for each type of building within a set percentage of the map, radiating out from your town. So a pizza delivery boy might travel up to a hour away, and has a high chance of remembering local businesses and in particular houses. A trucker probably travels the whole map, and has a high chance of remembering gas stations and landmarks along the major roads.

Any of that sound reasonable to code?

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
No, mostly because the game has no concept of things like, "main roads". The result of this would be to take what we have now and hide the forest tiles that aren't adjacent to a road.  That's not bad per se, but it also doesn't significantly improve things.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline ribblle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 10:18:54 PM »
So the major hurdle is coding a system to classify buildings and roads?

Online Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 06:24:47 AM »
Not coding - designing.
What is a main road? A road that connects two cities?

Offline Zhilkin

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »
So the major hurdle is coding a system to classify buildings and roads?
It is hard to code anything that hasn't been designed.