Author Topic: [OOC] Twin Suns Supply: Darkened Seas  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] Twin Suns Supply: Darkened Seas
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »
Okay, honest to goodness I had last night's update halfway typed out but then I fell asleep. I really should stop updating at 3 am. Update on it's way.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
It looks like your group has encountered down time.

Despite the boring title, this is actually a pretty open opportunity to soup up your characters to get ready for the next endeavor. You'll be raiding a partially submerged ship, and can create or modify your gear to suit that kind of encounter.

As for what you guys can make in this time frame, that's gonna be played pretty fast and loose. Your party has a fairly advanced set of tools at their disposal, and while they probably can't build another submarine, modifying or covering a rifle, building a diving suit or even a little robot buddy are not out of the realm of possibility. Your team has a week, so just use your heads and it'll all probably work out just fine.

Of course, you don't have to build things during down time. Your character could practice one of their skills, giving them a bonus to it, or try and learn a new skill, giving a smaller bonus to something new. Or they could laze around on their butts. That's cool too.

Also, if I'm throwing too much at you guys at once, please don't hesitate to ask here in the thread or message me privately about clarifying a character or location or concept. I'm also open to critiques, comments, and birthday parties. I want this to be as painless of an experience as possible, so I'd like to try and dispel any confusion you guys have before we get into this next segment.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Sorry for the kinda lame update tonight, things are getting kinda busy for me lately. It might be like this until Friday, but things'll start getting back to normal come the weekend.

Offline CockooClock

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
I myself may need to take a day or two break from posting again, a break from RPing in general actually.

Offline bostltch

• NPC
  • Don't look at me! It was him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 04:20:44 AM »
So I'll just say sorry that my post was just vague. I would have more detail into any defenses I had in mind or improvements to the scuba gear but I just don't know what all exactly is available or I guess enough of the specifics on the modern technology.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »
Alright, that's cool Clock. I'll keep this on hold then until Friday evening then, it'll be a good break for me while I get real life stuff in order.

Bos, you're right. I didn't provide a lot of detail, so here's a quick rundown of the technology is like in TSS.

Weapons - The standard in most militaries of the age is laser weapons because of their ability to pierce armor. Think the stuff you see in Star Wars, and that's pretty much what it's like in TSS. (One change is that the lasers move at the speed of light, so they look more like glowing lines than projectiles) Projectile weapons are still in use, mostly among groups that can't afford fancy laser weapons. They're simpler and pack a punch, but have a hard time piercing modern armor. They can be propelled using either old fashioned gunpowder, or magnets. (See railgun and coilgun)

Armor - Military armor is mostly made out of plasteel, a material made of a composite plastic and interwoven steel thread. It's very malleable and very resilient to physical and laser damage. It's also very expensive. Civilian armor is still made of kevlar, the bulletproof synthetic fiber. Other, more rare armors include spaced armor, where two pieces of material are used with a bunch of space between them to break up bullets before they hit the target, and reflective armor which looks like a space blanket but functions to reflect lasers instead of absorbing them.

Other stuff -  It's a sci-fi setting, so anything that seems at home there is probably gonna appear here. Some examples are sights that can see in the dark/through thin walls, guns that shoot tiny rockets instead of bullets, gloves with shock pads running through them, eyepieces that can tell if another person is lying by analyzing their heart rate at a distance, or even a sword that can be as flexible as rubber or strong as steel depending on if the blade is powered.

The general rule of thumb is that it needs to have at least a little rooting in reality, i.e. no explicitly magic spells or anything that far out there, but other than that the sky is the limit and creativity is welcomed.

As for the SCUBA gear in specific, a rebreather is a device that recycles air so you can breath pretty much forever. The gear Samar has just feeds air in from a tank, and will stop working if the tank runs out of air or is ruptured. Modern gear varies on their use of those. It's obviously cheaper to use a tank, especially on short expeditions, but for long periods underwater/in space rebreathers are preferred.

Your character can definitely rig a rebreather up in a couple days or so and still have time to spare, so take that as you will.

I hope that cleared it up a little bit, and I apologize if I'm getting too sciencey. TSS is a hard sci-fi setting, but the last thing I want is for the game to get bogged down/stop being fun by me trying to keep everything scientifically accurate. I try to follow the rule that if it's more fun without the science, then I should ignore the science, but I can lose sight of that sometimes. If you catch me doing something lame, lemme know. This is a game after all, and I want you guys to have fun playing it.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »
Also Bostltch, Mrnocamera wanted me to let you know that his character wanted to bring the Ophelia to the ship instead of the speeder. I'm not going to force a decision just yet, and I won't say which is a better idea (or if one is even better than the other. The choice could be entirely meaningless. Who knoooows~)

Offline bostltch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »
Well personally I do like science and all the technical little stuff, it just takes a while to get fully acquainted with it, which, really, is part of the fun! And I see about Mrnocamera, I misinterpreted his post, I wanted to take the sub too but I just sorta went with what I thought he wanted, I'll change my post to fix all this!

Offline CockooClock

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
I'm sorry everybody, I'd love to continue with my posts today but I just sprained my wrist a few hours ago, it hurts like hell just typing this out so, until it heals I won't be able to update fast if at all.

Edit: It turns out it wasn't sprained, just really heavy bruising, I'm good to go.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:03:26 AM by CockooClock »

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
That's great to hear, Clock. And I'm glad you're enjoying the content, Bost.

I kinda shoved things along in this update because sitting around only does so much for a group of adventurers. I put you guys in the submarine because it'll provide the most "options". That may or may not be a good thing, I haven't decided yet you'll have to figure that out. All aboard that's going aboard.

EDIT: Also, if none of you have anything else you wanna take care of IC, then I can push out an early update and then have another one at the usual time.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:34:15 PM by Hibou »

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
So you know that thing I said about not updating at 3 am? Well, I tried following that rule, but apparently updating at 4 am is an even worse idea. Post coming soon.

EDIT: Sorry about ghosting you guys for a second time this week. I got pretty busy last night and couldn't find the time to update, but now it's here and you guys get to explore the Ghost Ship of Wonder
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:41:37 AM by Hibou »

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
I'm gonna postpone the update until tomorrow and let the posts come in, after that the nautical fun can begin.

As a side note, if you split off from the party then I might PM you certain things that are exclusive to your character, so just be on the lookout for messages coming in that way.

Other than that, hope you guys have a fun weekend and posting will resume as usual tomorrow.

EDIT: This OOC thread has turned into a "Hibou can't keep an update schedule straight" thread. Gonna put an early one out today and then another later tonight to make up for yesterday's absence.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:34:49 PM by Hibou »

Offline bostltch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 04:04:48 AM »
So I don't know about anyone else but Easter stuff totally threw everything off for me so I'm waiting until tomorrow to post

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01:43 PM »
That's fine, I'll put out another update later on tonight at the usual time then.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
It was a quiet day today, so I'm gonna let it sit tonight and get another one out tomorrow at the usual time.