Author Topic: Lua may be getting axed, how many people care?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Gunsmith

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Lua may be getting axed, how many people care?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »
Cool, there is an actual (oceanic/Lake based) water world?

I always wanted to make undead infested nuclear aircraft carriers (with jets and helicopters), nuclear submarines/minisubs - a claustrophobic trapped scenario + impending doom deep under the ocean due to limited and depleting food, water (and perhaps oxygen if the oxygen generators malfunction/sabotage/run out of energy) supplies - forcing you to fix and/or take over control of the sub, in order to head back to the water surface or die by suffocation, starvation, radiation (damaged nuclear reactor), nuclear/conventional missile detonation (due to sabotage/damage by zombies, damage by fire) or simply by being swarmed and eaten alive - kinda similar to the lab escapes but worse.

Furthermore, other ships such as Littoral Combat Ships/Coastal Defense Ships/Amphibious Assault Ships, where one could launch from and return to, your Littoral Combat Ship within the safety of your amphibious tank!), helicopter carriers (launch your raids from your own helicopters!), Drone carriers (massacre zombies with your drone legion), (Guided missile)destroyer ships, Engineering ship (mobile ocean-based factory), hospital ships (crawling with advanced undead types, but also much needed medicine and tools) and/or civilian Cruise Ships, Mega oiltankers, Mega Cargo Ships of Oil Platforms in the game, all came to mind, but there was not enough water surface and water depth to make such very large ships happen. And not to forget, Large fishing ships such as big fishing trawlers to catch all those fish (and occasional Landshark/Undead LandZhark - think the ZHulk + Shark that is a significant threat even at end game situations, both on land as well is in water).

This water world seems like exactly what I needed.

Alternatively, oceanic coastal or lakeside areas with boats would really be awesome too! Just rush to a boat, clear it out of all hostiles, and head to safety of the open seas and hopefully find a nice little island/oil platform to make your base. Failing that make your boat into a mobile base (kinda like doom-mobile but on water), and raid the coast at your leisure with your boat(s)!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:01:20 PM by Gunsmith »

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »
I'm planning on replacing LUA-based code with behavior you can configure with JSON wherever possible, so hopefully little to no features will be lost.
I'm curious, how would that work code-wise?
It depends on what exactly the mod does, but in most cases it will mean translating the logic to c++, then just turning on and off (and possibly configuring) the behavior with a mod option instead of coding it in LUA.
In a lot of cases, like StatsThroughSkills or FasterZombes, it'll just be a matter of making a scaling factor available that can be set by a mod.
It looks like the ninja mod adds some item or trait behavior, we would just impliment that behavior in the core c++ code, and allow mod-only items or traits to use it.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Cassumbra

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »
i really want to do some things in lua that im pretty sure can't be done in json. what are things that json can and cant do and how many of the cants does lua take the place of? also im having a lot of issues trying to figure out how to mod this game, is there some json documentation lying around somewhere? :V

also i need a list of lua callbacks pls

Offline Alec White

• Zombie Food
  • I'm shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 11:46:54 PM »
i really want to do some things in lua that im pretty sure can't be done in json. what are things that json can and cant do and how many of the cants does lua take the place of? also im having a lot of issues trying to figure out how to mod this game, is there some json documentation lying around somewhere? :V

also i need a list of lua callbacks pls

Zhilkin already linked where the lua wizardry is.

Check example mods in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/master/doc/sample_mods

Also all LUA bindings are automatically extracted to https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/lua/class_definitions.lua