Author Topic: More survival roguelikes?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Inconspicuous

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
More survival roguelikes?
« on: March 28, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »
Are there more survival roguelikes out there? The only ones I know of are C:DDA and Wayward. Just curious.

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
  • My intuition does not prevent me from eating rocks
    • View Profile
Re: More survival roguelikes?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
Cataclysm: DDA has ruined my view on survival games. Every time I see or play them I can't help but feel like I have been lied to when I can't tear apart half of the tings around me and turn them into something completely different.

Anyways, I don't know if this falls into the category of roguelikes that you are looking for but you could try Project Zomboid, which is more CDDA like than roguelike. I also think there is a roguelike mode for Dwarf Fortress called adventurer mode, this one acts as an open world, RPG like, version of rogue set in the same worlds as DF's fortress mode.

Offline bostltch

• NPC
  • Don't look at me! It was him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

This would be a good place to start

Offline zaimoni

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:08 PM »
I second the Adventurer mode of Dwarf Fortress.

If being permanently squishy is acceptable, Rogue Survivor Revived is an option.  (There's also a thread here for that.  As the current maintainer, I recommend the stable version 0.9.9.8; the latest unstable does have better AI, but also takes minutes to load a saved game.)

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:47:59 AM »
I would be surprised if you hadn't tried unreal world. DF adv mode is more of a combat arena, you can target every eye of a hydra, but you cann't cook a meat chunk.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
    • You can see my drawings here!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:13:13 AM »
Unreal World! Also Rogue Survivor, if you aren't burnt out on zombies!

Offline snow dwarf

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 05:22:18 AM »
UnrealWorld is awesome.

Offline Vulpes_Inculta

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
Unreal World still feels very raw. It has a great atmosphere and awesome wound system (wish Cata had the same one) but everything else is lacking compared to CDDA...

Offline Inconspicuous

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:19 PM »
I'll be sure to take a look at all of these. Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline Solusphere

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:08:48 AM »
NEO Scavenger is another decent option, though it's pretty simplistic compared to most others in this list, and isn't free.

------------------------------------------------

Offline wad67

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:12:50 AM »
I'd like to second dwarf fortress adventure mode. Especially with mods that allow you to craft more stuff.

Offline snow dwarf

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 01:21:56 AM »
I'd like to second dwarf fortress adventure mode. Especially with mods that allow you to craft more stuff.
As said before, dwarf fortress is mostly about combat and there isn't too much other than that currently.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 11:46:23 PM »
Cataclysm: DDA has ruined my view on survival games. Every time I see or play them I can't help but feel like I have been lied to when I can't tear apart half of the tings around me and turn them into something completely different.

Anyways, I don't know if this falls into the category of roguelikes that you are looking for but you could try Project Zomboid, which is more CDDA like than roguelike. I also think there is a roguelike mode for Dwarf Fortress called adventurer mode, this one acts as an open world, RPG like, version of rogue set in the same worlds as DF's fortress mode.

so much this, i always hope i'll find another roguelike with some vehicle creation and modification system like cata, never happens though, unless i want to waste time on things like vehicle sandbox which aren't actual games.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline Marduk

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »

so much this, i always hope i'll find another roguelike with some vehicle creation and modification system like cata, never happens though, unless i want to waste time on things like vehicle sandbox which aren't actual games.
Might want to check out From the Depths. One of most complex vehicle creation and modification systems, allows everything from tanks through hydrofoil based ships to jets and spacecraft, also has custom designed weapons and engines.

Offline Codeslamer

• NPC
  • Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »

Might want to check out From the Depths. One of most complex vehicle creation and modification systems, allows everything from tanks through hydrofoil based ships to jets and spacecraft, also has custom designed weapons and engines.
This looks interesting, but is it hard to get into? I mean, the steam pictures have vehicles that look amazing, but somehow I doubt I'd manage much more than a square with engines
There'd be a picture here. But oh my god... IT'S SO DIFFICULT