Author Topic: Haven & Hearth  (Read 406 times)

Offline linkfanpc

• Zombie Food
  • "Who says hulks are tough?" *BOOM CRASH THUMP*
    • View Profile
Haven & Hearth
« on: June 09, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »
I'm bad at making reviews so just...here:

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/

Read up on it there.

To give a quick rundown, it's a open-world sandbox PvP survival MMORPG. It's got things like perma-death, tons of crafting/building, complicated, but unique and extremely fun combat, and it's set in a fictional world "loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend."

Here's a paragraph from it's info page:

Players start the game surrounded by a vast and somewhat unforgiving wilderness, with only the most basic tools of survival at their disposal. The use of fire is a thematic focal point of the game's mythos, and an early and important task will be the simple lighting of one. As the first hearth fires disperse the darkness of the surrounding wilderness, more pressing questions will present themselves to the players: Who are they? Where are they? And, most importantly, where are they going? From this point on, players will have to blaze trails of their own into the unknown, the wilderness and the future, and explore and affect the world of Haven & Hearth using only their own best judgment and a chipped stone axe. Trust us, the stone axe is the shit.

Oh yeah, and it's been made entirely by two college dropouts. Them dudes are cool.

Also, it's totally free, besides a few different things you can optionally buy for slight buffs. It's easily my favorite game of all time and it's a total blast to play, 9.8/10 IGN.

You see that tree? You can chop it down. Now there will forever be a stump there to mark you've chopped down that tree, unless someone feels like chopping away that stump and planting a new tree. Feel like chopping every tree, digging all the dirt and smashing apart every stone in the world? You could do that, just don't get mauled by a boar. Bears? Pfft, those things won't bother you, it's boars you need to look out for. They'll straight up impale you for looking at them funny.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:46:29 PM by linkfanpc »
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude:
   O/
  /|
  / \
Maybe check out my fan-fic: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14476.0

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Haven & Hearth
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:19:10 AM »
I tried playing it once, but it felt more like work than game. Like all that tedium I'd like to cut out of DDA - manual cutting of trees, hauling of everything by hand, planting seeds by hand. Except in DDA it's a background to zombie chopping action, while in H&H it's the main appeal.

That was a couple of years ago so it's possible the devs have came to their senses. I saw an "autoseed" UI for fields and RTS-style wall stretch options, meaning they are trying to solve some of the problems.
I wouldn't expect the russian griefing gangs to be gone, though.

Offline linkfanpc

• Zombie Food
  • "Who says hulks are tough?" *BOOM CRASH THUMP*
    • View Profile
Re: Haven & Hearth
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
I tried playing it once, but it felt more like work than game. Like all that tedium I'd like to cut out of DDA - manual cutting of trees, hauling of everything by hand, planting seeds by hand. Except in DDA it's a background to zombie chopping action, while in H&H it's the main appeal.

That was a couple of years ago so it's possible the devs have came to their senses. I saw an "autoseed" UI for fields and RTS-style wall stretch options, meaning they are trying to solve some of the problems.
I wouldn't expect the russian griefing gangs to be gone, though.

Yeah, quite a bit has been fixed and added. Also, i haven't died from russians (Or anything) yet, but i'm not sure how much that's worth.

It's also 3D now.
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude:
   O/
  /|
  / \
Maybe check out my fan-fic: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14476.0