Author Topic: THE POTATO - CDDA on a 486DX  (Read 1830 times)

Offline TheWumpus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: THE POTATO - CDDA on a 486DX
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 05:59:10 AM »
For additional Potato Points, I want to see somebody play Cataclysm on a computer that's literally powered by potatoes.
I have an ARM-based portable gaming console lying around somewhere that runs on AA batteries, just need to sort out 6V or so of potato power and we'd be cooking.

Take a dvom and check V drop across the potato. Then link them up in series until you have 6 volts, and connect your potato banks in parallel until you have desired capacity. Boom, literal potato power.
"I carved a French number puzzle into my chest for some weary survivor to solve and bled to death." -Closet Pankin

Offline Treah

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »
Problem is not the voltage on something like that but the current. Probably wouldn't be able to get enough to get it running.

In other news I have opted to drop linux for this test as trying to get a working cata on a old linux is too much of a pain. I have switched to netbsd and will see if i can get it running there. I am not as familiar with it but it seams promising to load ok in the ram space I have and there are compile instructions for it in the game. Will build me a binary on a VM with more processor power and then upload and download from git to transfer it or via CD-rom

Offline wad67

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »
If it goes any slower than this, you win.
Takes around 10 minutes to sleep sometimes.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Zhilkin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)
LOL, it runs almost in realtime.

Offline TheWumpus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 07:57:15 PM »
Problem is not the voltage on something like that but the current. Probably wouldn't be able to get enough to get it running.

A good point. I think theoretically it could be possible using NPN transistors to amplify output current, especially if you built arrays in parallel. My circuit theory on anything besides simple D/C circuits is pretty rusty though, I don't really get to play with anything else working on trucks.
"I carved a French number puzzle into my chest for some weary survivor to solve and bled to death." -Closet Pankin

Offline Treah

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Lol what are you running on that its running that slow?

Offline vivat

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
what i need to do for running C;DDA from DOS6.22? i think i have 486sx PC or maybe pentium PC.
what compiler is good for this? and which libraries may be needed?
is borland C ok?

Offline Treah

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 05:06:11 AM »
I would be able to give you some silver of information if I had yet got it working on my 486. I am pretty sure you wont be able to get it running on DOS unless you can import over a compiler that is C++11 compliant and get the other needed libraries moved over.

Curently i am trying to get it working on a Old version of linux. Debian ETCH.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »
Your biggest problem is getting a dos nurses library set up, I have no idea if there's a dos version of it.
A c++11 compiler that targets dos may or may not exist, if not it's basically impossible.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Zhilkin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
Your biggest problem is getting a dos nurses library set up, I have no idea if there's a dos version of it.
A c++11 compiler that targets dos may or may not exist, if not it's basically impossible.
There is PDCurses - https://pdcurses.sourceforge.io/. As far as I know ADOM uses it.

Open Watcom V2 can probably compile to DOS, but I don't know if it supports c++11 though.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 05:17:11 PM »
If you need an older version to run more smoothly, I have an ancient version 0.A 1951 file on my computer.

Also, how many potato batteries do you need to power the potato?

Offline Treah

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »

Considering its a 486 from 1994 I would venture probably a whole lot of them in parallel after getting to the correct 12v and 5v. :D

Offline Zhilkin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »

Considering its a 486 from 1994 I would venture probably a whole lot of them in parallel after getting to the correct 12v and 5v. :D
around 1 V and up to 1 mA for CuZn-battery

Offline Treah

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:31 PM »
So I was able to get the potato to successfully connect to the internet via a serial cable connection to a spare laptop that I have docked to a docking station with a serial connection. I then connected it to watchcdda and saw if the game would be playable via a ssh link. Needless to say it dident go well :P. But it does connect. I suspect this is something to do with fonts my terminal cant understand.

Here you can see the serial ports being used to connect it to the interwebs via pppd and iptables nat.

Here is the main game menu on watchcdda. Note that all the other text before the screen session looks fine, its only in the game it does this.

Ingame its all a jumble.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:56:06 PM by Treah »