Author Topic: THE POTATO - CDDA on a 486DX  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
Re: THE POTATO - CDDA on a 486DX
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »
technically you've already succeeded. Proper working for the ??? Profit!!! but it does >run< its just not playable.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Treah

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »
Well that was just connecting via SSH to the watchcdda server. So its not running local. I really would like to get a locally running one if i could. Im probably going to have to do some type of partial LFS build on the system to get anywhere near working order tho. And compiling on a 486 is not alot of fun..

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
Ah. Good luck with the project then... I'll just....butt out till I understand more. Im interested in what the result will be though.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Mantar

• NPC
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 01:44:55 AM »
And compiling on a 486 is not alot of fun..

That's why you don't do that, cross-compile on a fast machine instead. For my own potato I installed a second copy of Basic Linux in a VM on my main machine, and just used it to compile with --march=i486  so I'd have 486 binaries linked to all the old libraries and stuff.
 Sadly my potato's case busted at the hinge, and getting a replacement case for an IBM Thinkpad 701c (butterfly) is not easy. (Attaching the hinges directly to the ruggedized plastic case probably seemed like an okay idea at the time, but after a couple of decades the rubber in the plastic shrinks and its once mighty surface gets brittle as all heck.)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 03:38:46 AM »
sounds like you need to custom build a case.

Offline Mantar

• NPC
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 01:24:16 AM »
Pretty cool, but I'm rather inept when it comes to small-scale mechanical stuff. I wonder if I could get a new case 3d printed somehow?

Offline Adragis029

• NPC
  • Mutant Mutant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
I was looking at your screenshots and I think I know why you're having issues.