Author Topic: I Wanna Live  (Read 766 times)

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Live
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
ah, yeah, that's another thing. don't put batteries in a UPS, get a UPS charge pad. it's a vehicle part/add-on. place it in the same location as an inventory object(trunk or cargo carrier) and then turn it on at the controls. it will transfer car battery power into any UPS objects in the inventory under the charge pad. add a bunch of solar panels to the car and you get free UPS power.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 04:33:04 PM »
Joint torision ratchet/cable charger w/ a car + tons of bionic power = beast mode laser weapons

First this knife, then, the World!

Offline End Transmission

• NPC
  • Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo..
    • View Profile
    • End Transmission Games
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »
ah, yeah, that's another thing. don't put batteries in a UPS, get a UPS charge pad. it's a vehicle part/add-on. place it in the same location as an inventory object(trunk or cargo carrier) and then turn it on at the controls. it will transfer car battery power into any UPS objects in the inventory under the charge pad. add a bunch of solar panels to the car and you get free UPS power.

Good tip but regardless of power consumption I still found the laser pistol damage absolute shit. It was literally in the neighborhood of a 22. Zombie Children were taking 2-4 hits from it. So even if it literally had infinite ammo, it doesn't feel worth using.

I'm pretty happy with my current armor, most of which is actually storage: chest rig, tactical dump pouch, military ruck sack, holster, leather padded duster, MBR Vest with Kevlar Plates, Tactical Helmet. I'm aware my limbs are relatively vulnerable, but it hasn't come up too much yet. I try not to wear the rucksack whenever I don't need the storage as it's the difference between my torso encumbrance being like -30% and -60%, but for the most part, I don't have to resort to melee combat. I'm not bad at it (although the rucksack obviously makes hitting anything harder) but I have enough ammunition for my current assault rifle (H&KG3 w/ Holographic Sight and Underbarrel Laser sight), shotgun (M1014 w/ ample slugs and 00 buckshot), sidearm (1911), and "fuck it" gun (holstered RM228 Short Shotgun with Frag Rounds) that I'm not feeling a pressing need to conserve ammo.

Mini-Poll:

So, once you've established a reasonably safe base and the basics for self-sustained survival for an indefinite period, what do you usually do? Scour the surrounding area for all useful books until you've mastered every skill worth mastering? Thinker obsessively with your car until it's a solar powered death machine? I've found that what I usually do is pick a particular arbitrary direction--in this case East--and head that way, checking out interesting stuff along the way and making temporary safehouses when I need to rest. I mean, if it's actually New England, then if you head East for long enough eventually you'll hit the ocean. I know that's probably not in the actual game, there probably is no ocean and the randomly generated map just sprawls infinitely to the east without you ever hitting the sea, but "somewhere to the east there's an ocean" would make a really cool mod.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:31:56 PM by End Transmission »
Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew - Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash, and Captain Dallas - are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up.

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 03:29:33 AM »
well, a sort of combination of both. and while a lot of solar panels are useful, a very large vehicle uses a lot of power to move, so you can never get a positive energy income while driving.  to that end yes i make a completely self sufficient mobile base. don't need to find bases if you take your base with you. and then just explore in it. get things like on board welding rig, on board chemistry set, foodco kitchen buddy, etc. and some cargo carriers. find a sports car for V12 engines. 2 v12s can handle pretty large vehicles quite fine.  find some military vehicles and start with a skeleton of the car so you don't need to build a boom crane to attach said wheels. you will need a lot of them for a big vehicle. mine which is 7 tiles wide 10 tall, has 4 steerable tires in the front, one space in front of the driver's seat(under the windshield) and 12 non steerable in the back, 3 rows of 4. a LOT of wheels is important because offroad ability is based on your weight vs wheel contact ratio, so a heavy machine with too few wheels will slide and not steer right.

and while a normal container can't store enough to make a funnel worth it, installing a metal funnel over a  60L tank gives you more then enough free water for anything.

after theat is yes, finding books, if you got enough armor/combat ability or sneaking skill you can try a regional school, their library areas have heaps of books.

Offline End Transmission

• NPC
    • View Profile
    • End Transmission Games
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
Yeah, as mentioned (don't blamed you if you TL;DR'd that part, as I posted a lot in this thread) I already cleared a regional school and two bookstores without finding an advanced or semi-advanced Mechanics book which was frustrating. If on my journey EVER EASTWARD I encounter a second school, you can bet I'm going in guns blazing.

I want to kill enough (zombie) children that I don't even care anymore, like my last survivor did.

I've only scummed twice on this run, by the way, both times when my death seemed nonsensical (I take a probably irrational amount of pride in accepting permadeath, but I appreciate the hell out of the fact that Cataclysm gives you a moment to opt out of it). The first time I stepped into a tile between what should have been two stationary cars or maybe one of them was moving like 9mph and got instantly gibbed. The second time I was fighting some zombies in betwixt two cars that had about four tiles in between them when the southern car exploded into an enormous fireball for no good reason instantly killing me in the process. Slightly less clearly "the physics engine has fail" then when getting my knee caught between two slowly rolling cars caused my entire body to break apart, but still pretty WTF.
Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew - Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash, and Captain Dallas - are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
I master the books first then work on the death mobile, but I assume you could read by daylight and work on the car at night, since it doesn't need light to do.

First this knife, then, the World!

Offline End Transmission

• NPC
    • View Profile
    • End Transmission Games
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
Ironically considering the thread's title, this character wound up eating his gun which I rarely do. Executed two last Zombie Brutes  (which I thought would be suicidal enough) then put his 1911 to his temple and bye bye world, bye bye world. RIP Pvt. Patrick Espinosa.

Things were going so well until I wound up starving, dying of dehydration, and exhausted in a city completely overrun with the entire Z rainbow. The final blow to my morale as a player was when I parked my Mad-Max style interceptor that I'd put together out of a police car and added a composite military ram, that I'd just repaired to full for the fourth time, that was serving as my mobile base, swept three houses, and came back to find my car inexplicably torn apart. I'm guessing brutes routed through it or something. It was in perfect condition all over and then after I got back from my sweep of the houses, it was a scrap heap.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »
Ironically considering the thread's title, this character wound up eating his gun which I rarely do. Executed two last Zombie Brutes  (which I thought would be suicidal enough) then put his 1911 to his temple and bye bye world, bye bye world. RIP Pvt. Patrick Espinosa.

Things were going so well until I wound up starving, dying of dehydration, and exhausted in a city completely overrun with the entire Z rainbow. The final blow to my morale as a player was when I parked my Mad-Max style interceptor that I'd put together out of a police car and added a composite military ram, that I'd just repaired to full for the fourth time, that was serving as my mobile base, swept three houses, and came back to find my car inexplicably torn apart. I'm guessing brutes routed through it or something. It was in perfect condition all over and then after I got back from my sweep of the houses, it was a scrap heap.
I really hate that zombies both in this game and in 7 days to die seem to have an inexplicable hatred of inanimate objects that can be broken.

Offline End Transmission

• NPC
    • View Profile
    • End Transmission Games
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 03:04:05 AM »
My next character is Dr. Julius Johnson. It is spring and he has the basics for survival. He's an asthmatic, lactose intolerant, and both near and far sighted, like most scientists. He's mastered journeyman levels of mechanics, electronics, first aid, fabrication, melee, and handguns, and has found an Uzi with a fair supply of 9mm FMJ ammo, greatly increasing his chances of survival.

Having recently visited a Refugee Center to trade for a Jack, and having found a hacksaw outside a Home Improvement Megastore that SOMEHOW DID NOT HAVE ONE SINGLE WRENCH INSIDE IT (seriously WTF, I assume that HIMs are supposed to be the equivalents of Home Depot, so even on lower than normal item spawn density there should be like a dozen wrenches and hammers and screwdrivers) his most immediate goal is to find a wrench (that he has not found one yet is downright bizarre), then see about finding an acetylene torch or building a makeshift welder. There's a fully charged solar car with no wheels that he plans on coming back to.

So far his life has been pretty charmed. He's been making his way east through a series of safehouses that I must have set up by a previous character or characters I have long forgotten after they died. He's found not just one but two intact but shitty vehicles he was able to hotwire and most importantly, is the owner of an atomic lamp, IMHO one of the most powerful items in the early-mid game.