Author Topic: Breaking the "more accurate weapons are always better" disfunction.  (Read 999 times)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking the "more accurate weapons are always better" disfunction.
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »
you are fun to debate with ^.^
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Ly

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
I just have horrible visions of this turning into another clusterfuck, with basic zombies dodging bullets like Neo in The Matrix and NPC's becoming invincible killing machines.

Offline Logrin

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
How about we correlate a weapons volume with its maneuverablity and its minimum range before hip firing tied to sights (Ditto for bonuses at extended range.)

Maneuverability would be a new weapon stat which reduces the penalties for firing a weapon in less than ideal circumstances, such as:
*Reduces penalties for firing at a directly adjacent hostile (Which there should be, assuming they're groping for/lashing out at you)
*Similarly combats the temporary dodge skill a creature gains right after it leaps/charges (Which again, would be a good addition I think. Cougars and leapers having a 1 turn buff to dodge after landing to represent how hard it would be keeping a bead on them.)
*To a lesser extent being grappled, restrained, prone, etc etc.
*The more maneuverable a weapon the easier it is to use from inside a vehicle/riding a bike. (Niche case but worth considering, pistols and SMGs are the king of drive bys, especially if you're the one driving.)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »
How about we correlate a weapons volume with its maneuverablity and its minimum range before hip firing tied to sights (Ditto for bonuses at extended range.)

Oh yeah, I meant to include this, though I guess it would probably be a redundant suggestion. Can't be the first time this has been suggested.

The rest of it is inspired though. Love it. Not sure how adjacent de-penalty should balance out with penalty and decreased aim time for range. Should be interesting to see this come together.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Senrain

• NPC
  • Literal piece of garbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
the problem is not all enemies would even ATTEMPT  to dodge, ether from lack of intelligence or lack or knowledge that guns are bad. why would a mi-go avoid the direction a puny human is pointing a tube? and a zombie hulk would only think  "SMASH!!!" and move directly towards you. dodging in melee is almost completely instinct, an attempt to avoid the object coming towards you so even nearly brain dead critters would try to dodge a fist or a baseball bat.

Well, my take on dodging that I'm unashamedly ripping from the GURPS handbook is that a zombie or other 'dumb' creature isn't intentionally moving out of the way of your shots as much as simply moving unpredictably.

The swaying, lurching gait of a zombie is bound to make you whiff shots, the same with a charging animal or any other beast. An unpredictably moving target is hard to hit, sometimes even if it's charging straight at you.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile

Well, my take on dodging that I'm unashamedly ripping from the GURPS handbook is that a zombie or other 'dumb' creature isn't intentionally moving out of the way of your shots as much as simply moving unpredictably.

The swaying, lurching gait of a zombie is bound to make you whiff shots, the same with a charging animal or any other beast. An unpredictably moving target is hard to hit, sometimes even if it's charging straight at you.

It should still amount to less than a creature ACTIVELY trying to dodge. So Mi-gos and other intelligent creatures would get a dodge bonus for agility and intelligence (in lore and theory if not practice) I think Kevin already said something along these lines are what he planned to do.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
Yea, that matches my reasoning.  It might be productive to think of it as, "being hard to hit" to highlight that it's not reactive and not necessarily intentional.
Anything that moves will have *some* dodge to differentiate it from targets that don't move, with a higher score for:
High speed, intelligence, moving  erratically and special ability.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!