Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Urban Development  (Read 3250 times)

Offline NuG

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Urban Development
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »
Give it a shot, because the entire pack of 50 buildings exceeds the max number of allowed specials I sent all of the build occurances to a min of 1.  If the other packs have a min occurances for the building as 0, Then those might be dropped.  You'll see a debug msg at world creation letting you know of this is happening.  Shouldn't though since only 10/50 buildings have been merged.

OK yeah I did actually add them both to my current run earlier, and did not get any errors. I haven't traveled very far from the EVAC shelter yet to explore much yet though.

Thanks!

Offline jokermatt999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 01:17:11 AM »
It's been a while since I've contributed, and while I'm a mediocre coder, let me know if you want any help with boring JSON bits or anything. This looks awesome!

Offline TheFlame52

• Survivor
  • Forumite Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
This is damn good, I'll install this mod next time I make a new world.
Quote from: Jarlaxle
All hail our new Over(powered) Lord TheFlame52
Quote from: Arek_PL
THEY CAN DAMAGE FLAME! WE ARE DOOMED!
Quote from: Jakers
Oh Marloss Man, you and your unstoppable rampages throughout the world.

Offline RedPine

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
I don't like the top half of Police 31.  Far too many angles, very maze like, doesn't feel as square as the other buildings in the game.  Especially the interrogation cell (?) smack in the middle of the top half of the building - that makes things feel very cramped and awkward.

I know it's probably a very realistic layout based on a real building, but real buildings don't always translate 1x1 into cdda very well.  Other than that, I can't think of anything else to nitpick.

Offline acidia

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »
Pushed the pr with the police station yesterday, let me know if you still don't like it.  Much of it is intentionally convoluted on the first floor but there are essentially two air locks to separate the jail from the offices.  Evidence is 2nd floor north, crime lab is 3rd center, and armory is hiddened -1 south east. 

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »
Give it a shot, because the entire pack of 50 buildings exceeds the max number of allowed specials I sent all of the build occurances to a min of 1.

It shouldn't be the max occurrences that limit anything. The debug message should only happen if you set the minimum occurrences above the number that can actually, physically happen in game.

Offline chronicpayne

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 03:07:26 AM »
This is fantastic work, loving the variation and new buildings.

Offline acidia

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »

It shouldn't be the max occurrences that limit anything. The debug message should only happen if you set the minimum occurrences above the number that can actually, physically happen in game.
I'm using "max number of allowed specials" as the physical max the om can support.  The build that I created and tested all these would never generate a [0,1] occurances building after a certain number of specials were added.  Not sure if it is still the case or if More Locations being used as a furniture dependency pushed number of mandatory specials over the limit.

Thanks for the support, let me know if there are buildings you really want to see.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:15:14 AM by acidia »

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 08:57:01 PM »
The build that I created and tested all these would never generate a [0,1] occurances building after a certain number of specials were added.

It works like this:
If the number of mandatory specials is at or above maximum, only mandatory specials will be generated. If they can't be generated on current overmap, they will be generated in nearby randomly selected ones.
If the number of mandatory specials is well below maximum allowed, non-mandatory specials will be generated in free spots.

The mandatory slots are wasted on stupid shit like motels (2 minimum occurrences - to what end), like 5 campsites, cemeteries, road stops and so on. Once the maximum is reached, ALL non-mandatory specials are always dropped and never considered, then current mandatory specials stop being 100% mandatory and turn into "kinda important".
You could PR a drop in mandatory specials for things that shouldn't be mandatory. Or you can keep working against the system by bumping mandatory specials above maximum, but then expect it to behave badly at times.

Offline Zhilkin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
I believe minimum of 1 should only be set for quest related overmap specials (like prison or strange cabin), isn't it?

I've reduced minimum occurrences of several overmap specials to 0 in #22103 (https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22103):

- `Hotel` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Motel` - (from 2 to 0);
- `Gas Station` - (from 2 to 1);
- `FEMA Camp` - (from 2 to 0);
- `Radio Tower` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Public Works` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Apartments_Con` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Apartments_Mod` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Office Tower` - (from 1 to 0);
- `School` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Fungal Flowers` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Evac Shelter` - (from 5 to 1);
- `Mall` - (from 1 to 0);
- `power_station_large` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Home Improvement Superstore` - (from 1 to 0);
- `campsite` - (from 1 to 0);
- `campsite_cabin_incomplete` - (from 1 to 0);
- `campsite_field_biker` - (from 1 to 0);
- `campsite_a` - (from 2 to 0);
- `campsite_field_biker_destroyed` - (from 1 to 0);
- `rest_stop` - (from 1 to 0);
- `roadstop_a` - (from 1 to 0);
- `roadstop_b` - (from 1 to 0);
- `cemetery_religious` - (from 1 to 0);
- `Dairy Farm` - (from 1 to 0).

I'm not sure about some of the specials though. Public Works, FEMA Camp, School, Mall, power_station_large and Fungal Flowers should be probably left intact?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:42:14 PM by Zhilkin »

Offline acidia

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »
Figured since the current over map specials system doesn't work for interior city generation, it's only a temporary issue for urban development buildings.  There are tons of things that could be addresses but the mod and use of over map specials only exists to demonstrate the buildings to prevent a giant pr.