Author Topic: Zombie Evolution - How Does It Work?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Evolution - How Does It Work?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
My understanding is that there is an evolution tree that includes the possibility of backwards evolution, and that there were "dead-end" branches. I remember reading a changes post that noted that the dev making the statement had done so.

Which implies that zombies evolve seperately from one another and that even at endgame you are not likely to have ALL brutes and such, but the further (time) you progress the more the hordes will lean to greater concentrations of more evolved zombies. I believe it is all managed by percent values, though exactly what they are and where I do not know.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that is basically seems to eliminate acidic zombies and feral runners as time goes by. Sometimes, I'd spot a normal zombie, or a fat one, or a standard boomer. Not those two; it's either spitters or corrosives, or feral hunters or predators.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 08:00:25 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that is basically seems to eliminate acidic zombies and feral runners as time goes by. Sometimes, I'd spot a normal zombie, or a fat one, or a standard boomer. Not those two; it's either spitters or corrosives, or feral hunters or predators.

Agreed - feral runners, acidic zombies, and "normal" zombies all get phenomenally rare (makes the "lets kill 100 normal zombies" quest a HUGE pain).

As to evolution, it affects new area generation and old areas that you return to, but not zombies currently in the reality bubble (at least, from what I've seen).
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »
Was rather amazed that my survivor ran into an acidic zombie just a couple of hours after posting my previous post. In hindsight, perhaps I should have turned that one into a zlave for collection purposes.

Anyway, they really should change that quest into kill 100 zombies of any kind. Hell, changing it from zombie to tough zombie would be manageable. Finding a plain vanilla zombie several hundred days after game start is a pain, and you gotta find 100 of them.

And, with regards to evolution within the reality bubble... not sure on this one, but I could've sworn that I've seen a zombie die then get revived into a different type.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline Frostwood

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 01:27:13 AM »
Was rather amazed that my survivor ran into an acidic zombie just a couple of hours after posting my previous post. In hindsight, perhaps I should have turned that one into a zlave for collection purposes.

Anyway, they really should change that quest into kill 100 zombies of any kind. Hell, changing it from zombie to tough zombie would be manageable. Finding a plain vanilla zombie several hundred days after game start is a pain, and you gotta find 100 of them.

And, with regards to evolution within the reality bubble... not sure on this one, but I could've sworn that I've seen a zombie die then get revived into a different type.
When I first put it in, it just chose a more advanced zombie group to spawn in as time progressed, and zombies that you didn't kill got upgraded based on the 'master zombie' upgrade path.  The system since then has gone through several iterations since then.

The idea at the time was the make the beginning of the game more manageable, and allow developers to put harder zombies and creatures in later, when the player is better equipped to handle them