Author Topic: Wiki Guides - Skill training guides  (Read 442 times)

Offline KiBoy

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki Guides - Skill training guides
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 07:36:19 AM »
Not sure what you can do about focus tbh.

Start as a spiritual gourmand cannibal and carry human-made food around? The problem would be getting enough though...

As for the guide, don't forget to mention how lethal and easy to train Throwing is.

Throwing Sticks which require 1 survival ( and 1 fabrication ) to craft only require some wood and a cutting tool. In return, at 0 throwing skill a headshot will deal about 20 damage with 8/8/8/8 character, which means 4-5 throws to fall a normal tier zombie.

At 5 throwing which my character currently has, the damage jumps to around 40-45 on headshot. I don't even need obstacles, I can weaken a small group of zeds enough that 90% of the time the headshot at 1 distance will kill them.

Another good thing about throwing is you can wear highly encumbering ( read: good armor ) clothes as long as your hands, arms and eyes are low.

As for the cons, 30 throwing sticks weigh over 17 kg and have 3.75 volume, but this can be mitigated by a shopping cart.

tl;dr
Throwing early game is low-cost, low-risk, high-reward if used properly.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 07:55:31 AM »
Not only that but unlike archery you have a 100% chance of retrieving your thrown weapons. Unless obviously they explode.

Offline Benedict

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
Not sure what you can do about focus tbh.

Start as a spiritual gourmand cannibal and carry human-made food around? The problem would be getting enough though...

As for the guide, don't forget to mention how lethal and easy to train Throwing is.

Throwing Sticks which require 1 survival ( and 1 fabrication ) to craft only require some wood and a cutting tool. In return, at 0 throwing skill a headshot will deal about 20 damage with 8/8/8/8 character, which means 4-5 throws to fall a normal tier zombie.

At 5 throwing which my character currently has, the damage jumps to around 40-45 on headshot. I don't even need obstacles, I can weaken a small group of zeds enough that 90% of the time the headshot at 1 distance will kill them.

Another good thing about throwing is you can wear highly encumbering ( read: good armor ) clothes as long as your hands, arms and eyes are low.

As for the cons, 30 throwing sticks weigh over 17 kg and have 3.75 volume, but this can be mitigated by a shopping cart.

tl;dr
Throwing early game is low-cost, low-risk, high-reward if used properly.

This is really good stuff, but might go a little beyond the remit of my guides. I'm looking purely at how to train skills, rather than their relative effectiveness.

The stuff about crafting sharp sticks is smart, though. An example of efficient gameplay (minimal risk, but less "grindy" than some faster methods like chucking endless pebbles for maximum xp gain) :)
Think you can write a good guide to DDA?

Please add to the guides on the wiki: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »
Trying listening to music while training (actual MP3 player item) it helps with maintaining focus levels so you can train longer. Problem is obviously batteries, but thankfully they don't eat them up too fast.

Of course you can mutate and acquire apex predator which negates combat focus drain. To get this is pretty resource intensive, plus you need to break a threshold to get it.

First this knife, then, the World!

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 10:41:19 PM »
Trying listening to music while training (actual MP3 player item) it helps with maintaining focus levels so you can train longer. Problem is obviously batteries, but thankfully they don't eat them up too fast.

Of course you can mutate and acquire apex predator which negates combat focus drain. To get this is pretty resource intensive, plus you need to break a threshold to get it.
Wait you don't need to break threshold?