Author Topic: Cataclysmisch (3D, realtime version of Cataclysm)  (Read 564 times)

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Cataclysmisch (3D, realtime version of Cataclysm)
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
Hello!

I was bored so I started working on a 3D, (multiplayer??) realtime version of Cataclysm. Thought I'd put my devlog here if anyone is interested.

I do realize that alot of the stuff in CDDA doesn't translate directly to realtime so there will be alot of differences. I haven't decided on if the players and npcs should move freely around the map or stick to grid. If I go the grid route I think I'll make the npcs update every x number of seconds but let the player run around as he/she wishes.
Currently you can move around freely but I feel the game should be more discreet and allow for better planning of your moves. I will probably add a pause feature (wont work in multiplayer though obviously).
I have no idea where this will end up, but this is something I've wanted to make for a long time.

As I just started there isn't much to show but here's a screenshot with some sprites from Coleen's and Chesthole's tilesets that I've been using while prototyping.

And yes. That is a giant onion.

Any input is appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:59:14 AM by shakazed »

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Catalsymisch (3D, realtime version of Cataclysm)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
Devlog #2

Started work on the inventory this afternoon. It's very basic at the moment. You can pick up stuff and press I to show/hide your inventory with your picked up items. I just want to get the base UI in place before fleshing out the gameplay.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:39:05 PM by shakazed »

Offline Wojtek94

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
Wow! Very ambitious project. I think that it may take a few years just to finish it. Cataclysm is a very complex game.  Very minimalistic graphic may be helpful for you

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
@Wojtek94
Hi and thanks for replying :)

Yeah it is indeed. I'm fully aware that I wont be able to implement all that Cataclysm contains, certainly not on my own. That's why I'm making the game completely data driven, so that modders easily can add to it if they want to. (If this ever gains any traction that is :P )
The graphics will be very minimalistic with hardly any animations rather I want the nuancesof what's happening to be decided by the player's imagination.

Stay tuned ;)

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 02:47:19 AM »
Might be simpler to create a program that just interfaces with a running copy of cataclysm to build a 3d map based on what the player  can see.

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »
Yeah. But there are already projects like this and I want to make it realtime and possibly with multiplayer some day.

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysmisch (3D, realtime version of Cataclysm)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
Devlog #3

So. I have decided to make movement restricted to a grid. The free movement made the game feel a bit too arcady. I dunno. Might  revisit it sometime.
The player can move around the grid at his/her own pace but npcs will move every x seconds depending on their speed.

The terrain is voxel based similar to Minecraft. This means that it has support for z-levels and can be destroyed / built upon.

I've also worked on the data-driven parts of the game. Every entity in the game will be configurable in json files that accompany the game and you'll also be able to add your own spritesheets for custom graphics. This includes customizing the terrain tiles.

I haven't decided on sounds and music yet though but I'll probably make that configurable also.

That's it for this time :)

Regards/P

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:38:52 PM by shakazed »

Offline BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Survivor
  • What could possibly go wrong....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 02:21:45 AM »
Very nice! How big is the reality bubble in your game?
The hollow earth and the Dyson sphere share an origin? Do some research

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:34:25 AM »
Hi BorkBorkGoesTheCode!

I've currently set the terrain to generate at 90 tiles squared around the player in the plane and five levels above and below. But those are just arbitrary numbers and since I currently haven't implemented alot of features I'll have to adjust that depending on performance, but I'm hoping for a farily area of full simulation and some kind of light/fake simluation of certain objects outside the active area.

Regards/P

Offline Wojtek94

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
Could you tell us something about system requirements and generally about engine? Is it Unity?

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
@Wojtek94

Yup it's Unity :)
I'm not sure about the system requirements just yet. I have to flesh out the game some more to know but since the graphics will be relatively simple I'm guessing you wont
need a very powerful gpu. Most processing will be run on the cpu.
Since the game world is procedurally generated and "endless" it'll take up some RAM and diskspace, but nothing crazy.

Regards/P

Offline Chezzo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:07 AM »
This looks great. Can you make it realtime, but only if you move they move? At least a mode? That would be neat.

Awesome job so far. Thanks for saying my name about the sprites. Want me to make you one with clothes on?

Offline shakazed

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »
Hi Chezzo!

Thanks! I love your tileset :)
I might do that as a separate mode but it wouldn't work for multiplayer though. I've considered adding the ability to pause singleplayer games.
A clothed sprite would be great! :D

Been swamped at work this week with tons of overtime so I haven't got alot done on the game, but I'll be working on it this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some new screens to show then.

Regards/P
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:40:16 PM by shakazed »