Author Topic: derail re: forking from "Coolthulu's patches"  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
Re: derail re: forking from "Coolthulu's patches"
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 11:26:42 PM »
Ironic enough, your post is pure off-topic and will probably attract replies such as this one. If you have a problem is better to make a thread about it, instead of dumping your stuff and ending it with a "please keep it on topic as best you can."

:( I know. I knew it when I posted, but I did so anyways under the useless hope that doing so would help remind others not to do the same... the 'dumping it' was unintentional side effect. Should have thrown in a Please PM responses now that I think about it. It got forked so thanks for that, and my bad :/

Kevin knows best. If you think he doesn't, debate with him civily until you realize why kevin is right.
I know of at least one example when Kevin admitted he was wrong: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/20458.
Probably he was posting under the influence :D

Ah, good to know SOMEONE has caught him making a mistake at SOME point. I was beginning to think he was an Amazon bot. *X-files theme song*
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 02:13:48 AM »
Bots make mistakes... he still could be one.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
This is true... and the rarity of mistakes does make it ponder-able.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline RedPine

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »
How about making this the mainline and just cutting Kevin out of the equation? His backwards thinking is going to hold back the game forever at this rate.

This post is necessary.  Kevin does a lot of behind the scenes work that doesn't get appreciated, not to mention all his past work and extensive experience.  Just by being around to answer random coding questions makes Kevin valuable in ways that can't be measured.  There is a good reason the long time developers have stuck together for so long through all their disagreements.

I also disagree with his recent balance attempts, but CDDA is very moddable so we can change CDDA to fit our personal tastes.  Coolthulu's fork is sufficient - that's the whole point of a fork, after all.  Besides, aim is getting another overhaul soon (tm) that looks quite decent so far - you wouldn't know it from the forum, but a compromise IS being reached.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
How about making this the mainline and just cutting Kevin out of the equation? His backwards thinking is going to hold back the game forever at this rate.

This post is necessary.  Kevin does a lot of behind the scenes work that doesn't get appreciated, not to mention all his past work and extensive experience.  Just by being around to answer random coding questions makes Kevin valuable in ways that can't be measured.  There is a good reason the long time developers have stuck together for so long through all their disagreements.

I also disagree with his recent balance attempts, but CDDA is very moddable so we can change CDDA to fit our personal tastes.  Coolthulu's fork is sufficient - that's the whole point of a fork, after all.  Besides, aim is getting another overhaul soon (tm) that looks quite decent so far - you wouldn't know it from the forum, but a compromise IS being reached.

well said. +1 :P

Offline Eliijahh

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »
+1

Let's remember how difficult it is to work on a project remotely. You gotta have someone that makes the final calls, and people will be unhappy sometimes. The fact that there is an individual person like Kevin that brings everything together is invaluable to this project, and it is potentially the only reason why this is not abandonware. I'd suggest the community to envision themselves as influencers, more than decision makers, if they want to really help shaping the game.

Said that, there is always margin for improvements. This kind of posts should be perceived as useful feedback that there may be potentially something wrong. Perhaps there could be better ways to communicate with devs and the community.

@Kevin, have you ever thought of picking someone from your team, someone charismatic, polite and well received by the community, to be the main point of interaction with github devs and the forums? It'd be a shame that the amazing work you guys are doing is badly received due to miscommunication? (let's just focus one second and let's remember how the game was before those guys came around. Dynamic spawn, and I said it all)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 03:23:25 PM »
You might be surprised how often that question has been asked. The answer comes back more or less, nothing official.
I must Try HARDER!

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
@Kevin, have you ever thought of picking someone from your team, someone charismatic, polite and well received by the community, to be the main point of interaction with github devs and the forums? It'd be a shame that the amazing work you guys are doing is badly received due to miscommunication? (let's just focus one second and let's remember how the game was before those guys came around. Dynamic spawn, and I said it all)
A number of people do this in an ad-hoc way already, contributors post on the forums or elsewhere* about their coding or modding  efforts, and a number of developers and users move information between github and elsewhere.

To more directly answer your question though, no I haven't considered that option.  Offhand I can't think of anyone that meets your criteria as well as my own, which would require them to have a general understanding of how development works.  If someone thinks they do want to fill that role, just start doing it.

* the places I know of are r/cataclysmdda, #cataclysmdda on freenode and a cataclysmdda discord server (https://discord.gg/DPxUcX7)
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!