Author Topic: More survival roguelikes?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Marduk

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: More survival roguelikes?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 10:45:10 PM »
It takes many hours of practice to get into building quality stuff, but it's doable, there are also tutorials, both in game and on youtube.
There is also a massive library of both default and steam workshop vehicles to use until then, and to reverse engineer if you want to build ones with similar features.
Starting with reverse engineering and modifying existing vehicles is always a good idea.

Offline Chezzo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 10:26:11 PM »
It all started here ladies and gentlemen, the very first airplane to ever crash and spill out someone who needs to eat and drink to survive.

https://classicreload.com/wilderness-a-survival-adventure.html

It is a pretty tough detailed game. You can fish, trap, build shelters, LOOK AZIMUTH to find directions, you gotta eat and drink and deal with being too warm and too cold. And as the manual points out, "Experts in the fields of toxic wild plants, human physiology, navigation, wilderness lore, thermal models, wildlife habits, meteorology, and terrain models have pooled their resources to create a precisely detailed environment."

http://apple2online.com/web_documents/wilderness_1.pdf

Whoa, and it totally WAS! The game was made by two dudes at NASA's Jet Propulsion Labs, Wesley Huntress and Charles Kohlhase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness:_A_Survival_Adventure#Development

Only I can't find a single thing spoiled in this game. I can only find the manual and one Let's Play from someone who didn't read the manual. Let's spoil it!

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 01:32:28 AM »
Might want to check out From the Depths. One of most complex vehicle creation and modification systems, allows everything from tanks through hydrofoil based ships to jets and spacecraft, also has custom designed weapons and engines.
This looks interesting, but is it hard to get into? I mean, the steam pictures have vehicles that look amazing, but somehow I doubt I'd manage much more than a square with engines

from the depths is middling to get into i'd say, i still hate the whole universe centered where you point style of building and always will, the game is fairly complex as well, it's a creativity kit first, a game second, it's like a lego mindstorms set with an infinite amount of pieces, if you're creative and a genius you'll probably create wonders with it, but effort will be your main limiter.

also, chezzo, one gamer who used to be familiar with dos to another, that game's not something i'd play for fun, if i want a completely accurate simulation of being stranded i can just do it for real, plus DOS was mostly tedium, i think that's why roguelikes do so much better, we got to leave the type until your fingers bleed hassle for the most part behind and cherrypick the good stuff.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline lootpack

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »
Nobody mention Unreal World yet? It's an iron-age survival RL set in an open-world like Finland, some of the starting scenarios are quite challenging too.

And for post-apoc and turnbased, Neo Scavenger. Although there's too much inventory tetris in that one for me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:58:04 PM by lootpack »

Offline NuG

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
Nobody mention Unreal World yet? It's an iron-age survival RL set in an open-world like Finland, some of the starting scenarios are quite challenging too.

And for post-apoc and turnbased, Neo Scavenger. Although there's too much inventory tetris in that one for me.

They were mention briefly on the first page.

I briefly tried UW before trying CDDA, but haven't really played enough to make a review/judgement.

I haven't tried Neo Scavenger out myself yet, but have had it on my Steam wish list for a while.. might have to get that eventually.

Wayward is another game I've had my eye on, but it seems the reviews are leaning towards mixed now.. but I usually take Steam Reviews with a grain of salt. I believe there is a web version of it as well, but not as many features or something as the Full Version.

AuroraRL is another I've downloaded and yet to try, but I don't believe it is classed a "survival" RL. It still looks interesting to me though. It seems there is a Steam Version you can buy, or just go to their website and download it for free. Not sure if there is a difference in versions, or if the Steam version is just a way to help support the project.

Offline Gwydion

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 01:06:51 AM »
Idk if you'd classify it as a survival rougelike really,  but you do have to eat to survive and it's very well built and last I checked it's still being developed. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. You can find it at http://crawl.develz.org/ and they are on github I just looked