Author Topic: Static bases - Returning and excursions  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Static bases - Returning and excursions
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »
The most I could see adding would be lab to lab teleport, where the player gets the lab infrastructure working and activates the teleporter.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
The most I could see adding would be lab to lab teleport, where the player gets the lab infrastructure working and activates the teleporter.
I was going to say something else but I just remembered that what is probably the primary generator for the facility are the broken generators you see in those warehouse like rooms. However if the facility is running on some sort of backup power it would be surprisingly powerful if it is still capable of opening tears in reality which I imagine is not cheap on the electric bills. I would say something about the ice labs but I don't remember if they are like that due to hvac malfunction or because of the sub prime plains environment or some such.

Offline Benedict

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »

That would be sweet. If nothing else, it would add another benefit to lab exploration.
Think you can write a good guide to DDA?

Please add to the guides on the wiki: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »
To make returning base a better experience, we need auto-drive - the car moving along the road, or along a straight line, the player making small adjustment to walk around obstacle.

Long distance teleport, if it did exist, would be a waste for a QoL feature. Worm hole chasing with zombie warper is thrilling.

Offline iceball3

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 11:41:22 PM »
To make returning base a better experience, we need auto-drive - the car moving along the road, or along a straight line, the player making small adjustment to walk around obstacle.

Long distance teleport, if it did exist, would be a waste for a QoL feature. Worm hole chasing with zombie warper is thrilling.
How about "cruise steering", allow vehicles (the player's character, really) to automatically drive, using the road-stripe tiles as guidance, until a safe mode violation occurs or an oncoming object is detected halfway in through the reality bubble?
We could even disallow it at lower morales, for fancy schmancy depth.
...using protection and letting a bunch of weak mobs pound you all night long

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 12:49:01 AM »

How about "cruise steering", allow vehicles (the player's character, really) to automatically drive, using the road-stripe tiles as guidance, until a safe mode violation occurs or an oncoming object is detected halfway in through the reality bubble?
We could even disallow it at lower morales, for fancy schmancy depth.
solid "do want" on that one.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline Theundyingcode

• NPC
  • Mutant Cyborg With a Nuclear Tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 03:10:36 AM »
Auto Pilot would be super helpful for my bases project in the distant future to allow NPCs to dive between home base and an outpost.... if I ever get that far...
Mars is currently the only planet populated entirely by robots. Therefore Martian invasion is the same thing as the robots taking over.

Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience?
Well, that comes from poor judgement.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
NPCs driving between bases, that's not going to end up in pancaked players or anything...

I like it.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »
Yeah... watch left and right before crossing road.

Offline Theundyingcode

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »
NPCs driving between bases, that's not going to end up in pancaked players or anything...

I like it.

The idea was to make an NPC drive all your loot back to your base for you.  You know "here's a pile of random junk i found. You go take this home for me while I take a nap."
*NPC embarks on a 120 mile journey across a land where every moving thing wants to rip his head off and scoop out his brain like a Mellon*

or just have a bunch of meat-shields come meet you to raid the National Guard Outpost so you don't have to go back and get them
Mars is currently the only planet populated entirely by robots. Therefore Martian invasion is the same thing as the robots taking over.

And experience?

Offline Squaggly Maggleton

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »

I like it.

The idea was to make an NPC drive all your loot back to your base for you.  You know "here's a pile of random junk i found. You go take this home for me while I take a nap."
*NPC embarks on a 120 mile journey across a land where every moving thing wants to rip his head off and scoop out his brain like a Mellon*

or just have a bunch of meat-shields come meet you to raid the National Guard Outpost so you don't have to go back and get them

How would you get around the reality bubble issue? Just calculate the total distance, driving speed (preferably an option in NPC menu, how badly do you need that support?) and time taken? You could have a percentage chance of vehicle damage based off of NPC driving skill, total distance, and speed to simulate obstacles that aren't inside the reality bubble and a separate chance based off of vehicle noise, NPC driving skill, and total distance to have the possibility for some idiot to lead a horde right to base.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 02:41:11 AM »
Yep, but it's my job to take your ideas and make them evil.
How would you get around the reality bubble issue?
1. The number of NPCs doing this would need to be limited, otherwise it's a mess.
2. Similar to how hordes will work, the traveling NPC can check the overmap for monsters that require special handling, if monsters are encountered it needs to load a map and actually handle the encounter.  NPCs should generally be avoiding monsters, so encounters shouldn't last long.
3. For following roads, only the road tiles themselves need to be loaded most of the time, the surrounding tiles only need to be checked if the road is blocked.

Offline Theundyingcode

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 04:01:16 AM »
How would you get around the reality bubble issue?
1. The number of NPCs doing this would need to be limited, otherwise it's a mess.
2. Similar to how hordes will work, the traveling NPC can check the overmap for monsters that require special handling, if monsters are encountered it needs to load a map and actually handle the encounter.  NPCs should generally be avoiding monsters, so encounters shouldn't last long.
3. For following roads, only the road tiles themselves need to be loaded most of the time, the surrounding tiles only need to be checked if the road is blocked.

Just run random encounters:
  • Road? (# of vehicles)/(NPC's driving lv.)% chance of hitting something.
  • Field? 50/(driving lv.) shrubs hit. 1/lv.% chance of hitting a boulder.
  • Mall? 1,000,000/(driving lv.)% chance of trying to play cool-aid man
  • Zombies? (#of Zs*vehicle width)/(driving lv.+10)chance to hit each Z

Then, just run the crash mechanic  to figure out dmg. I'd assume NPCs are all "Break? What's that? Is it tasty?" kinda people.

And experience?

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 05:20:33 AM »
Just run random encounters:
This isn't a "random encounter" kind of game, it's simulation-based.

Offline Kryxx

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 05:37:12 AM »

I've seen the movie 'the fly', you want to give dev's more ideas for mutations? Sure go ahead.

Quote from: dharthoorn
IP laws are one first world problem a zombie apocalypse would solve and make the world a less ugly and especially less greedy place.