Author Topic: Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> current topic: Open for questions  (Read 546 times)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
So I am using Linux Mint these days, and mostly loving it minus a few areas. Most involving mozila firefox unfortunately :(

• No adobe Flash support, or unity support
  • This themes thing v
the thing that annoys me most at the moment is that my mint theme (Mint-Y-Dark) is overriding site defaults for textareas but not the font color so I get dark grey on slightly less dark grey. I can't seem to get the userContent.css file I created to stick though.

/home/litppunk/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/storage/permanent/chrome

what should this look like? I think I am being redundant here but I can't seem to get it to work even when I restart firefox.

Code: [Select]
*, select, textarea{
background: none !important;
Color: none !important;
background-color: none !important;
}

Edit: solved
Themes settings > unchecked use theme for certain applications. why did nowhere I checked mention this?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:03:35 PM by Litppunk »
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> current topic: N/A
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »
  • No adobe Flash support

If it's not in Mint's package repository, then head over to get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and get it from there. You can try the ubuntu apt thing if you like, it may work fine on Mint.
 Alternately, just get the .tar.gz NPAPI version and extract it to a temporary directory somewhere, and copy libflashplayer.so to firefox's plugin directory. Installing the other files will require root access, but it's not really necessary either, it's just configuration stuff.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> current topic: Adobe flash support
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 12:16:23 AM »
firefox doesn't seem to want to 'install from file' the file. Says its corrupt
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:20:37 AM »
Okay, I'm not sure what's up with that.
 Just grab the tar.gz then. Make sure you get the NPAPI, it's Netscape Plugin API, which Firefox supports natively. (The other one is for Chrome's new Pepper API which you can get Firefox to use, but it's a pain, and requires a wrapper thing.)
 Extract it to a temp directory and copy the libflashplayer.so into your mozilla plugins directory, and you should have Flash up and running then. You'll have to update it manually, which is the downside to manually installing rather than using your distro's package, but I guess if Mint isn't packaging the Flash plugin anymore you'll have to make do.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:51:18 AM »
I think I'm just stupid, and have misled you. I have flash. It's just not full range since its not supported anymore. I can do most things but I'll crash if I right click, and some stuff just doesn't work at all claiming a memory problem.

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:36:22 AM »
Okay, that's just weird. I'm not sure what's wrong, because I don't have that kind of problem. I'm running the latest Flash off Adobe's site, and no crashing or memory problems ever come up. Maybe test your ram, just in case?

Also Adobe began supporting Flash on Linux again a while back. It's not been unsupported (by Adobe, not necessarily any given distro) for some time.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:02:42 PM »
Its got 16 Gb installed. fresh out of the box. I spent alot of time playing modded minecraft and rimworld just yesterday Max graphics. Smooth as could be. I haven't seen anywhere I can allocate any more mem to firefox either. Have I missed something?

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »
Not that I can see. If everything else is stable your ram is probably fine, though you might want to test it anyway. (I used to have a bad stick of ram back when I used to dual-boot, and discovered that Linux is surprisingly resilient about that. Windows would behave strangely and crash a lot, Linux would basically run like nothing was wrong)
 I'm kind of stumped as to why Flash is behaving so badly for you. Can you see what version of Flash you're running? Did it come installed with Mint or did you install it yourself?

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 02:23:23 AM »
Shockwave Flash 26.0.0.151 libflashplayer.so

I think it came pre-installed and then I tried to install to get it to work? I don't remember the order It all anymore.
Edit:

Memory: 7.8GiB

:/ odd

Oh, one of the Cards wasn't in all the way, on Reboot 15.7 O.o wow I've created a monster.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:30:25 PM by Litppunk »

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
Shockwave Flash 26.0.0.151 libflashplayer.so

Yep, that's the latest one.

Edit:

Memory: 7.8GiB

:/ odd

Oh, one of the Cards wasn't in all the way, on Reboot 15.7 O.o wow I've created a monster.

Well hey, maybe that had something to do with it. Hopefully that'll fix it.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:15:02 PM »
Still nothing for unity because unity only supports Safari and Internet Explorer -_-. Guess it'll be safari. Not found a problematic flash yet.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> Linux Flash support
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 03:02:45 AM »
Nope flash still acts up. Right click crashes. It's suppost to give a menu and from there your suposed to be able to change the local storage settings for flash. I was able to change them FROM the deny local storage that my brother just clicked on (not prieviously a problem) through
https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html
But right click still crashes Adobe Flash. Any ideas? I'm guru-ed out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:23:10 AM by Litppunk »

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> Linux Flash support
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 09:02:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty stumped too. Here's an idea, find the libflashplayer.so file and run ldd on it, and let's see what the output is. Like so:

ldd libflashplayer.so

That basically gives us a list of what libraries a file is linked to, and their locations. If something's not found then that'll be an easy fix.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> SSD physical block size disagreement
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
Can't seem to find the file. Only libflashplayer.so that search is pulling up is in PlayonLinux's support files. and .Mozilla and .adobe dead-end everywhere I would expect to see it. Even manually placed a 'plugins' folder and threw a copy of libflashplayer.so in there. and restarted firefox. still crash on right click. going to delete that file now before I forget since its clearly got flash stored elsewhere.

---------------------------------

It looks like I am going to need to get a windows distribution and make this thing Dual boot.
Problem is when I set up the computer I installed Linux, I either messed up the SSD, or intalled on the wrong HD and then messed up the HD trying to switch where the Boot was kept. So now its on the 1TB hard drive,  because the SSD developed a "The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes" Issue.

This should correct it right? Seems like I will want to navigate to the damaged drive before I do... don't want to mess with the working 1TB along with the damaged 500MB SSD

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=2048 count=32 && sync
Im going to work on fixing it and migrate the Linux over there, and then partition a space for windows to rest so I can do EdX, steam, Starcraft_II and other expansive highly interconnecting and interacting programs without having to go through PlayonLinux's finickyness in that area. Got it backed up on a 3rd HD that won't even be connected during the process. But I suspect issues may arise with this upcoming headache. Any help or advise would be appreciated as I continue.

Also, on the planning for the worst, trying for the best  side of things what cross platform anti-virus software would you recommend? (for linux to scan windows? Having multiple drives should make slave scanning drives especially easy and effective.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:44:58 PM by Litppunk »

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> SSD physical block size disagreement
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
Can't seem to find the file.

Try this: go into about:config and set plugin.expose_full_path to true, then open about:plugins, and it will tell you where Firefox is getting flash from, so you can check that file. If it was installed by your package manager it'll probably be under /usr.

This should correct it right?

That should wipe the partition table, sure.

Also, on the planning for the worst, trying for the best  side of things what cross platform anti-virus software would you recommend? (for linux to scan windows? Having multiple drives should make slave scanning drives especially easy and effective.

Well, I can't help you much there, as I haven't dual booted since my old XP install finally ate itself many years ago. I know clamav can scan your windows drive, though I'm not sure how effective it is.