Author Topic: Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> current topic: Open for questions  (Read 511 times)

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> SSD physical block size disagreement
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 10:04:15 PM »
For the SDD fix, I was looking confirmation on how I should use that code to keep from erasing ALL the hard drives or some such, but I think I see it now
The SDD is SDB, and the 1T is SBA, so modifying it from:
Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=2048 count=32 && syncTo
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=2048 count=32 && syncis what I want to do right?
the Change being:
/dev/sdb
Sorry if Im getting a bit obnoxious about this. Erasing data on running machines via code I don't fully understand gets me nervous.

Edit: also I am not showing any plugin.expose I have network.protocol-handler.expose, and plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types;application/pdf
Oh,
plugin.state.flash;1
Thats the only plugin. that says anything about flash

any of that help us?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:17:06 PM by Litppunk »
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
For the SDD fix, I was looking confirmation on how I should use that code to keep from erasing ALL the hard drives or some such, but I think I see it now
The SDD is SDB, and the 1T is SBA, so modifying it from:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=2048 count=32 && syncTo
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=2048 count=32 && syncis what I want to do right?
the Change being:
/dev/sdb
Sorry if Im getting a bit obnoxious about this. Erasing data on running machines via code I don't fully understand gets me nervous.

Yeah, you're right to be careful with that sort of thing. I'd just use cfdisk to clear the partitions, myself. But if you've already tried that or gdisk or whatever and it won't take, zeroing the partition table like you're doing might be warranted.
 And no need to apologize, it's cool. We'll get this sorted sooner or later!

Edit: also I am not showing any plugin.expose I have network.protocol-handler.expose, and plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types;application/pdf
Oh,
plugin.state.flash;1
Thats the only plugin. that says anything about flash

any of that help us?

Ah, that's right it's not a default option. You'll have to add plugin.expose_full_path as a new thing, then set it to true. Once you've done that it'll show you exactly where it's getting its flash plugin from in about:plugins. (I really think they ought to have this on by default, hiding it doesn't do anyone any favors, and is basically just not trusting the users)

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »
Yeah, you're right to be careful with that sort of thing. I'd just use cfdisk to clear the partitions, myself. But if you've already tried that or gdisk or whatever and it won't take, zeroing the partition table like you're doing might be warranted.
 And no need to apologize, it's cool. We'll get this sorted sooner or later!
Thanks for being understanding, but you still didn't answer the question. Is that edit to the code (that I made up on the spot with no foreknowledge, based soley on what it looks like its doing to my untrained eye) the correct thing to do, or do I need to navigate to the SSD in prompt and input the original there?

I think Gparted spit the fault back at me as the reason for not being able to fix it but I may have misunderstood what the system was trying to tell me. I'll doublecheck before I try this.
Ah, that's right it's not a default option. You'll have to add plugin.expose_full_path as a new thing, then set it to true. Once you've done that it'll show you exactly where it's getting its flash plugin from in about:plugins. (I really think they ought to have this on by default, hiding it doesn't do anyone any favors, and is basically just not trusting the users)
Hmm you didn't say how to do this, mozilla says security liability on some systems, I assume linux is not one of them? They also say that it is no longer needed and the path is displayed in full on about:config under path: but......

OH. Firefox isn't up to date.... odd. Why is that not part of synaptic package manager... its included in there. :/ hmm. OH... no it is 55.0.2 which shuld be close enough, and updating further would probably only be bleeding edge...
well, that was a disapointing adventure. Time to go eat, and come back to this when Im less upset with this problem.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »
Is that edit to the code (that I made up on the spot with no foreknowledge, based soley on what it looks like its doing to my untrained eye) the correct thing to do, or do I need to navigate to the SSD in prompt and input the original there?

Provided /dev/sdb is the right disk, then yeah, that will zero the partition table on that drive.

Hmm you didn't say how to do this,

Oh, sorry. You would open about:config and right click in the window, and select New->Boolean. Name it "plugin.expose_full_path" and set it to "true" and then about:plugins will tell you the full path that it's loading a plugin from. But if it's already showing the path, then we don't need to set this anyway.

mozilla says security liability on some systems, I assume linux is not one of them?

I assume that's just boilerplate butt-covering to warn people who go tinkering with about:config. I can't think of any way to exploit knowing the location of a plugin from firefox that isn't also available with the old find command - the exploit would be in having write access to plugins, or the directory, so you could add your own malicious plugin if you had access to the computer. Knowing where it's at is just a convenience.

They also say that it is no longer needed and the path is displayed in full on about:config under path: but......

So they finally made it the default? That's good to know. I never understood why they hid it in the first place.

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 01:17:43 AM »
*facepalm* I should have read what was in front of me. If the input is T/F of course its boolean.

Hmm. where does it display now? About:config, or add-ons manager, or somwhere else? Hmm. I'll try restarting firefox and if I find it then I'll jump back and post solved.

nope. Feel like seeing MIME types is new, but that doesn't lead me anywhere useful as I can't find that file path.

ah.. directory links.json is less helpful than it sounded

OH.
(click to show/hide)

if thats not useful its got to at least be in the right directory branch

how did I not see that before, or was that becasue of plugin.expose?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:28:07 AM by Litppunk »

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 08:56:45 PM »
Hmm. where does it display now? About:config, or add-ons manager, or somwhere else? Hmm. I'll try restarting firefox and if I find it then I'll jump back and post solved.

The easiest place to find it is about:plugins.

OH.
<pluginreg.dat>
if thats not useful its got to at least be in the right directory branch

how did I not see that before, or was that becasue of plugin.expose?

But yeah, pluginreg.dat will work too. I forget that file is human readable, we could have skipped the plugin setting..

/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
There we go, it's in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin. It looks like you're using a copy from your distro's package manager, and it looks up to date. Run a
ldd /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.soand let's see if there's any "not found" entries in there. There shouldn't be, but then again it shouldn't be crashing when you right click it either.

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »
nope. Just a list of directories. No 'not founds'

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 11:23:34 PM »
Well, damn. There goes an easy fix out the window.

When it crashes, what does it do? Does firefox go down, or just the flash plugin? Does it spit out anything if you're running on the command line?

We might have to uninstall the distro's versions, as Mint is known for cobbling together Debian and Ubuntu packages into a mostly-working mix, and instead install FF+Flash straight from the websites. If Mint is using a patched firefox then it might be causing problems, though it could also be something to do with a system library that firefox or flash is using.

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> current topic: Adobe flash support
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »
hmm. Not left cmd open while flashing. Just the plugin crashes, giving me a message that flash has crashed with a little frowny face on a lego :(

No messages in cmd

Sounds like Ubuntu is the better build?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:16:52 AM by Litppunk »

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 02:44:38 AM »
Yeah, Ubuntu has better packaging and security protocol in place, though some of their choices aren't to my taste. Still, it's probably a more reliable distro than Mint. (I use Debian myself, since I'm big on reliability, and don't care if my packages are a year or two out of date as long as they work, but Debian's a bit more involved to set up than something like Ubuntu.)

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 03:25:51 AM »
Well I'll Try it on the SSD now that I have it setup then. Someone told me that mint was a good place to start learning linux. I have been relatively happy with it so far. And I now have a Linux baseline to compare others too. I assume all the files should transfer wihout problem between the two long as I keep out of main filesystems? Alot of my troubleshooting has been through finding the solution on a ubuntu thread.

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 03:40:03 AM »
Yep, transfer your home folder, and as long as you install the same desktop and programs, you'll have a virtually identical setup, just with a different distro under the hood.
 If you've got /home set up on a partition then you can just point the new install to that and it'll use it with no copying needed.

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 03:47:21 AM »
Oh cool. Good thing I kept everything in home and its branches instead of doing something weird.

Online Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 01:03:14 AM »
Well I installed Ubuntu on the SSD, but the system doesn't seem to recognize it as a boot. I used the same install to overwrite the Linux on my mac air when some kind of bad steam cloud files were keeping the game broken? And it works fine. Odd system but it works well. How do I get the UEFI to recognize the boot files on the other HD?

Offline Mantar

• Zombie Food
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:28 AM »
Huh. BIOS issues can be tricky. It's not showing up in the list of boot devices?

Maybe see if you can switch from UEFI to legacy boot mode, that might get it to work.

It might also be a BIOS issue, and you might have to upgrade it, which is not something I'd recommend for novices. I'd save that for last resort. (One time I tried to flash a motherboard's BIOS only to discover the root of the issues I was having was that the chip was failing, and it consequently left me with about 10% of the BIOS unflashed after several attempts, and the board essentially bricked.)