Author Topic: Are we kept prisoners of our own preferences in the on-line medium?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Ferodaktyl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
So, i decided today to try a new browser. Installed the thing, didn't sign in, added some extensions and went to youtube to check out how it's working. Didn't sign in on YT also. After one or 2 searches, pressed the YT home tab and i was confronted to an eerily similar content to what i was having on my other browser, where i am always logged in. And started to wonder ...  is YT not only keeping track of my IP, but also feeding me whatever it thinks i want to see whether i am logged in or not ? And if so, and i'm quite sure google does the exact same thing, what would be a good strategy to diversify one's area of knowledge in regard to on-line news/events that would include a broader spectrum  of ideas/opinions ?

(Maybe i'm paranoid, that's a possibility too )

Offline Mantar

• NPC
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
Re: Are we kept prisoners of our own preferences in the on-line medium?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 04:39:21 AM »
Welcome to the Bubble, it's a known thing that Google (and Youtube) gives customized results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 06:15:12 AM »
To help avoid this use ad blockers, cookie killers, change your preferences deep in google and youtube's settings, and get a browser with no track settings.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:31:49 AM »
What if, say my views are something that YouTube, Google, etc. Doesn't agree with?

It's not a secret that they don't show, say, conservative view points or just basically anything that isn't "ad friendly". This happens even with even popular YouTubers.

It just seems that YouTube and Google strongly prefers or tries to steer you in certain directions based on their search algorithms.

Or maybe I'm just being paranoid. Who knows.

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:01:40 AM »
If you allow some one else to host your views, then there is always the risk that they will exert control of it.

Offline NuG

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »
Use the extensions, uBlock origin, noScript, and search incognito. Search incognito does what you're asking, but I actually got annoyed at how specific my searches had to be since it dind't know what type of crap I was looking for, specifically games. I ended up just disabling it for now, but still use ublockorigin and noscript.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 05:13:11 AM »
What if, say my views are something that YouTube, Google, etc. Doesn't agree with?

It's not a secret that they don't show, say, conservative view points or just basically anything that isn't "ad friendly". This happens even with even popular YouTubers.

It just seems that YouTube and Google strongly prefers or tries to steer you in certain directions based on their search algorithms.

Or maybe I'm just being paranoid. Who knows.

they don't have to actually censor points of views they dislike, they just encourage blanket coverage of the ones they do like so much you'll never see the opposing point of view at that point your opinion effectively no longer exists to other people.
which.... if you're posting on a blog, let's all be thankful, blogs are the new ads that play sound, cancer 2.0.

as are sites that nag you about cookies, like fuck off, no one cares what your policy is and i'll go out of my way to be sure i never acknowledge one of those messages.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 07:58:09 PM »
You're right, they don't flat out delete videos - just de-monetize them, flag, sometimes even going as far as making them not appear on the search bar or "popular/recently uploaded".

I dunno, youtube has been sketchy about stuff like that. Pewdiepie got a lot of his stuff demonetized, conservative news on youtube gets demonetized, H3H3 got demonetized, copyright claimed, etc. The list goes on.

Basically YouTube is demonetizing videos that THEY deem unfriendly, etc. By doing this, it's kind of a form of censorship, and it's pretty much a kick in the balls for content creators.

Small things like swearing can get your demonetized. "Not advertisement friendly" they say.

Philip DeFranco has good coverage of this.

Not to mention to recent rise of false copyright claims given to critics on certain things like movies. penguinz0 and H3H3 are names that pop up for me atm.

I like just how youtubers are getting more self aware about this stuff, and basically just calliing out YT for their BS.

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:56:36 AM »
There are also browser fingerprints: https://amiunique.org
Just because you block everything doesn't mean you're safe from tracking.

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
The safest bet is just not to use the internet... But barring that insane notion, fade into the background.

Offline NuG

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 11:15:36 PM »
Are we EQUIFUXXED?!

Offline BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Survivor
  • What could possibly go wrong....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »
I cannot verify if it is caused by Windows 10, but, even though I had set every privacy toggle in it to no tracking mode during setup I am receiving ads for password retention services after resetting my passwords.
The hollow earth and the Dyson sphere share an origin? Do some research

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 03:30:37 AM »
You asked nicely... they said "Naaaaah"

Offline BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Survivor
  • What could possibly go wrong....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »
I cannot verify if it is caused by Windows 10, but, even though I had set every privacy toggle in it to no tracking mode during setup I am receiving ads for password retention services after resetting my passwords.
You asked nicely... they said "Naaaaah"
Tis google ads serving it, so there may be antitrust in future if a micro/google alliance exists, and such things happen anymore.
The hollow earth and the Dyson sphere share an origin? Do some research

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 03:52:37 AM »
Google already has at least one new anti trust suit ongoing with Gab