Author Topic: Are we kept prisoners of our own preferences in the on-line medium?  (Read 519 times)

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
Re: Are we kept prisoners of our own preferences in the on-line medium?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »
I have windows 10 on a laptop that I recently purchased, I'm thinking of just changing the OS to windows 8 and installing classic shell.

I absolutely hated the fact that you had to use facial recognition stuff when setting the computer up plus Cortana. I get that in some way you're being monitored at least a bit by websites and internet service providers and the like but having a computer that forces me to use things I don't want and making me feel like my privacy is being invaded irritates me. At least with older OS systems it doesn't show or feel shady.

Offline NuG

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
I have windows 10 on a laptop that I recently purchased, I'm thinking of just changing the OS to windows 8 and installing classic shell.

I absolutely hated the fact that you had to use facial recognition stuff when setting the computer up plus Cortana. I get that in some way you're being monitored at least a bit by websites and internet service providers and the like but having a computer that forces me to use things I don't want and making me feel like my privacy is being invaded irritates me. At least with older OS systems it doesn't show or feel shady.

First thing I did was disable that B.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 06:30:47 PM »
anyone using win 10, that's exactly your problem, i know, i've given up resisting too, but the fact is that the only significant changes win 8 -> 10 were to add a fuckton of invasive tracking bullshit and to finally at least make the start menu tolerable again.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.