Author Topic: Why was DangerNoodle banned?  (Read 474 times)

Offline BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Survivor
  • What could possibly go wrong....
    • View Profile
Why was DangerNoodle banned?
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:15:01 AM »
They have done nothing ban-worthy that I can see. That self-deleted post made by Alec White in DangerNoodle's repo seems dodgier than anything DangerNoodle has ever done.
The hollow earth and the Dyson sphere share an origin? Do some research

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
Re: Why was DangerNoodle banned?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:28:50 AM »
I've seen a couple of these happen, never seems like it is necessary. Just some butthurt that went to far rationalized as a load of overblown and over exaggerated immaturity.

As some one that has managed a few communities here and there and people in real life, unless some one is directly harming others or directly picking fights(not to be confused with disagreements) then there is no need. All it does is create sour feelings for those that witness it. You can see those feelings now as occasionally people start ragging on Kevin for this stuff and in the obvious tension between devs when they are debating ideals. If it gets to far it will kill this project.

Just some thoughts. Besides the occasional joke comment I have no dog in this fight.

Offline Alec White

• NPC
  • I'm shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 06:35:03 AM »
That self-deleted post made by Alec White in DangerNoodle's repo seems dodgier than anything DangerNoodle has ever done.
Implying something?

Also DangerNoodle was banned due to https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/21503
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:37:08 AM by Alec White »

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
This is something I do for fun, I'm not going to keep working with someone who is rude and argumentative.  DangerNoodle was both of those things on a regular basis and after asking him to stop a number of times, I gave up on him adjusting his behavior.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline iceball3

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »
This is something I do for fun, I'm not going to keep working with someone who is rude and argumentative.  DangerNoodle was both of those things on a regular basis and after asking him to stop a number of times, I gave up on him adjusting his behavior.
Is there an updated social guidelines to go with this?
As it was, the argument was only approachably inflammatory, rather mutual, and quite substantiated, at least looking at Glyph's post in concerns for it.
It's nice to know quite where the line is drawn, or if just voicing disagreement should be avoided, to avoid getting banned.
...using protection and letting a bunch of weak mobs pound you all night long

Offline BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Survivor
  • What could possibly go wrong....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »
Alec White thank you for the PM, I'm going to look at the posts you mentioned.
The hollow earth and the Dyson sphere share an origin? Do some research

Offline someguy

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »
This is something I do for fun, I'm not going to keep working with someone who is rude and argumentative.
You understand this sentiment cuts both ways?

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:39:41 PM »
You understand this sentiment cuts both ways?
Of course it does, if someone feels they can't work with me they can just stop interacting with me, but that does necessarily mean they stop contributing to the cataclysm repository, because that requires them to interact with me.
If I can't work with someone, I'm not going to leave the project, so I don't have many options left.

If you have a suggestion for how I can handle this sort of thing that doesn't boil down to, "tolerate everything", I'm listening.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire

Offline someguy

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »
I do, but you probably won't like it.

There's plenty of room to manoeuvre between "tolerate everything" and the way you interacted with dangernoodle in that exchange. The discussion was perfectly amicable until you showed up, that's not a coincidence. You might not realise it, but your tone right off the bat was authoritative and condescending. Despite that the guy apologised several times (which you seemed to just ignore), so it's fairly clear he wasn't looking to escalate an argument but was rather being misunderstood and getting frustrated.

I'll echo other people's sentiments and say the whole argument wasn't even that heated, hardly at the "I can never speak or work with this person again" level. Frankly banning the guy just makes you look like you've got a chip on your shoulder.

In short, you need to learn to bend a little more (compromise isn't a dirty word), give people the benefit of the doubt (if someone apologises, take it at face value), and above all grow thicker skin.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:06:37 AM »
In short, you need to learn to bend a little more (compromise isn't a dirty word), give people the benefit of the doubt (if someone apologises, take it at face value), and above all grow thicker skin.
Done, I did compromise with DangerNoodle for months, I gave him the benefit of the doubt many times (taking apologies at face value... the first half-dozen times or so, until I realized that he just reflexively said he was sorry any time he was challenged, but never changed his behavior), and I have a pretty damn thick skin.

I've worked with literally hundreds of people on this project over the course of many years, and I've banned literally two people over personality clashes like this.  Has it even crossed your mind that maybe I deserve a little benefit of the doubt?  Have you given any thought to the possibility that I deal with people being rude to me on an incredibly regular basis, and I hardly ever say anything about it?  Have you tried applying your smug suggestions of tolerance to my behavior? Has it even crossed your mind that the other side of this coin is me getting sick of dealing with people harassing me and questioning my every decision and canceling the whole damn project?

Nice armchair criticism though, I give it 4/10, 4.5/10 with rice.

Offline someguy

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 01:45:34 AM »
This is what I'm talking about. Was there any real reason to escalate like that? You asked for suggestions, I gave you my honest opinion.

Believe it or not I am giving you the benefit of doubt here because I'm assuming you don't realise how abrasive you come across sometimes, and that being sole point of contact for every contributor might wear on your patience a little (seriously, you need to look into spreading that load).