Author Topic: New to Forum - The rise and fall of my first successful character!  (Read 290 times)

Offline JunkBondTrader

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
New to Forum - The rise and fall of my first successful character!
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:39:50 AM »
   Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and actually new to the game altogether. I've been playing for a couple of weeks (non stop), and am beyond hooked. It's the game I've been looking for my whole life, lol! Before this I was playing Unreal World, which I'm sure many of you are aware of. It is an incredible game as well, and after playing that for a few years, well, it made for an easy transition into Cataclysm. I still can't believe I hadn't found this game earlier! I should have Googled harder.

Anyway, I thought this sub-forum was as good a place as any to introduce myself. I figured I would share the story of my first semi-successful character. Her rise, and fall. I play with the the experimental build, with the Chesthole tileset FYI.

The story is of Claire Salter. An ugly, farsighted, glass jawed, addiction prone, punk rock girl. She was pretty gnarly. She was my first character that actually made a decent life for herself before getting slaughtered! First female character too... Coincidence? Who's to say lol. Anyhow, Claire had nestled out a living in a row of houses on the edge of some city in the world of Telocaset. After establishing herself, she first decided to head for the gun store close by. Unfortunately it was sealed up pretty good, but eventually Claire had realized she could use the circular saw she found to cut through the bars on the window!

After doing so, Claire had to fight off 3 the feral runners locked inside the store. She managed to do so quite easily... But once she gathered the weapons inside the store, it was her ego that bested her in the end!

Now armed with a fully loaded American-180 SMG and Beretta M9, Claire was feeling badass enough to take on the hoard of zombies near the centre of town. They guarded a few stores of interest: A garage, a grocery store, a military surplus store, and a library. A few of the zombie ring leaders included a Zombie Brute, Zombie Master, and a Zombie Soldier. Being new to the apocalypse, Claire didn't understand the strength of any of these mobs, but assumed they were all tough as hell, by their names alone.

After deliberating, Claire decided to try sneak into the stores without being seen, and only fight them off if need be. She felt her armour was sufficient. It was mostly leather, with some metal arm guards and 2-by-shin guards. She crafted what weapons she could before her mission, which only amounted to a couple of nailboard traps, a forked spear and a single grenade. She figured along with her newfound guns, she would be fine.

After a nights rest, Claire set out on foot early in the AM toward the stores at the centre of town.

First, she sneaked around to the far corner of the military surplus store. Unfortunately she wasn't as quiet as she had hoped to be while prying her way in, and alerted the attention of a handful of zombies, one of which included the ZOMBIE FREAKIN' MASTER!!! Claire put away her forked spear ASAP which she initially wielded and opted instead for her American-180, set to full auto. After a spray of only 5-10 bullets, Claire was surprised and relieved to find the Zombie Master dropped dead. It's Tough Zombie followers were easy to clear up after that.

So now Claire had killed the master of all zombies, and was feeling beyond condident. Surely the Soldier and Brute were subordinates of the master? Surely.

After a rest up, and after clearing out the store, she decided she would take out the Brute, which was barely in sight. It was huge and scary, and needed to die before venturing towards the other stores.  Claire decided to lay her nailboard traps near the entrance to the store so she could lure the massive beast into them. After laying them down, she exited through a window and started the process of luring. It didn't take long for the colossal creature to come charging. Now with her heart racing, Claire bolted back into the window from which she came and waited for the terrible monster to emerge. Eventually it did, but instead of simply walking through the door and into the traps, it bashed it's freakishly huge way through the wall!

It might have stepped on a nail trap during the fray, it might not of. They didn't end up mattering either way. It plowed through them and eventually stood directly in front of Claire. With the Brute in her sights, she unleashed her American-180 on the dreadful being. It took some bullets, but pushed through most had managed to get close enough to Claire to smack all over the room! Smashing walls and sending her flying through the air like a football!!! 

All said and done, it took over 30 bullets to drop that monstrosity to the ground... But, she DID drop it to the ground... And she survived, somewhat in tact. Wow, the Brute seemed much more powerful than the Master. Claire probably should have judged them by their sizes, not their names....

Well ok.... Now Claire felt truly invincible. The master was out of the way, and the enormous beast was dead. All she had left was the Soldier. Surely the easiest of the three would be the soldier? Surely.

After the Master and Brute were disposed of, Claire looted the library and garage next. All that was left was the grocery store which contained the food she was desperately beginning to need. Of course her final adversary guarded it, the Zombie Soldier. Still brimming with confidence from her last two victories, she decided she could easily take out the Zombie Soldier, even with about 50% head and torso damage and half of her American-180 bullets gone.

Claire headed straight for the creature which stood directly in front of the store, at the intersection. As soon as she could, she emptied her entire clip on the ungodly sight. Full auto. More than 40 bullets must have been fired! But to Claire's disbelief, it still charged at her. With vigour too! Uh-oh.... Upon examination, the Soldier was still in tip top shape. At this point the Beretta seemed silly and futile. Pointless. Claire instead went straight for her forked spear.

By now, Claire was as dumbfounded as she was terrified. One moment she was on top of the world, killing Zombie Masters and creatures 10 times her size... The next moment she's scrambling to grip onto the very fibres of her life, being clawed and hacked away at by the brutal claws of an impossibly tough Zombie Soldier.... Her forked spear hit only one in ten times, and damaged the soldier no more than 3 or 4 points at a time. It... Was... Over....

But, wait... Claire, all bloodied and battered, if only driven by instinct alone, reached into her pocket and realized she had one final chance! A Hail Mary, in the form of a grenade! She had never used one before, and in her panic thought maybe she should gain some distance before throwing it. And so, she did. She ran out into the middle of the nearby field and after gaining some distance, she went to throw her grenade... Wait! At the last minute she halted....

You gotta pull the pin first, dumbass. This is CDDA. You gotta do every little step.

So Claire stopped, and decided to pull the pin, before throwing the Active Grenade somewhere between her and her voracious opponent... And, success, the grenade exploded.

According to plan, the Zombie Soldier had died all caught up in the blast. Not according to plan, the grenade also blew Claire to shit. She DID manage to survive, however. Her head and torso were both near depletion, but she did survive.

Claire now had an ego as swollen as only her broken limbs. Before looting the grocery store, Claire thought it would be wise to head home and do some first aid, just in case of any more encounters. Afterall, her head and torso were nearly destroyed. At this point Claire was out in the field where she lured the Soldier for his explosive demise, and could easily cut across some dense forest right to her home. This way she wouldn't have the streets in her frail state. Claire decided to take the forest route.

On her way Claire recalled her day. She pondered mostly about her miscalculations... The Zombie Master ended up being the easiest, while the Zombie Soldier ended up being the toughest! I had it backwards...Hehehe... But it didn't matter in the end, did it? You bested them all.

Claire did best them all, and all seemed fine and dandy... Until... A seemingly harmless coyote came along. Just a coyote. At first the bugger was funny! Coming close, then running away... Back and forth. Claire almost felt a bond with the animal, it was humorous! And everything was hunky dory. Then suddenly... the literal son of a bitch tried to bite her! Nippin' at her heels! Of course she started jabbing at it with her forked spear... but of course kept missing.

What an emotional roller coaster. One minute Claire feels she's top of the food chain, kicking ass, next minute she's fighting for her life! And now, after killing a Zombie freakin' master, a Zombie Brute, and a Zombie Soldier, she's being put to the test by a measly coyote!

Being put to the test.... And then some. For it was the final test for Claire. A test which she FAILED! AND DIED! FROM A FRIKKIN' COYOTE! AFTER EVEYTHING! In a last ditch effort she went for her Beretta... But was fatally bitten during the wield process. It was brutal :*(

a'hem.... Excuse me lol. T'was a tough loss. But it wasn't all a loss, because the lessons of Claire Salter's death will make my new character, Willard Morgan's life a lot easier.

Anyway, that's it. This game is truly amazing. So immersive. I was always fan of roguelikes as well as open world, sandbox games. But honestly, No games compare to the depth of CDDA, for me. A story as complex as the one of Claire Salter wouldn't have been possible in games like Skyrim or Witcher 3. Even Unreal World, which I adore immensely, doesn't quite immerse you as much as this game does. When I blew that zombie soldier to bits with, I was so pumped!! One of the greatest video game moments I have ever had. I felt like I was in a movie! Haha, then dying to the coyote I wanted to cry lol. I just don't have enough good things to say about CDDA. It's a masterpiece!

Cheers, for now, I hope to be able to take part in this forum a lot in the future! Thanks for reading.

JunkBondTrader

Offline Mantar

• NPC
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
Re: New to Forum - The rise and fall of my first successful character!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:53:23 PM »
A great story, welcome to CDDA! (And yeah, zombie soldiers have really good armor.)

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:33:48 AM »
The bunker has tips for newcomers, and I have a guide if you need it.

Offline JunkBondTrader

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:25:58 AM »
The bunker has tips for newcomers, and I have a guide if you need it.

Yeah I've been perusing the bunker lightly. A guide would be cool, depending on how extensive it is. So far I'm enjoying figuring most things out on my own :)

Send a link anyhow, I'll see if it's for me.

Offline JunkBondTrader

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:27:50 AM »
A great story, welcome to CDDA! (And yeah, zombie soldiers have really good armor.)

Why thanks :)

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »
Here's a link to my guide

Hope it'll help, It covers everything from stats, traits, and skills to tactics on dealing with monsters or where to find certain items and even building your own car.